You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-14 21:40:59

zenlord
Website

vim usage question

Maybe not in the right place, but I encounter this problem upon configuring msync to sync my evolution contacts with my Nokia E71 (symbian s60 OS), which is kinda desktop-related:

At one stage I have to use the command 'msynctools --configure nokia 2', which opens up an XML-file in vi(m). As I'm not used to vi(m), it was quite hard to perform the changes, but I learned how to copy/paste something and keep the original formatting and to switch between different modes and how to save a file and quit....

But not exactly: when I switch to normal mode and type :wq, I'm back in console but my changes have not been saved Same for :x.

So now I'm thinking I don't have to 'save to file', but do something completely different when a program/script is using vi(m) to make changes. The only problem is that I don't know what to look for. The manpage for msynctools is not helping...

It's probably something completely, utterly stupid if you know it...

Zl.

#2 2009-01-14 22:07:20

ijanos

Re: vim usage question

Setting the EDITOR enviroment variable to something else than vim will probably do the trick. However :wq is the proper way of saving a file and it is what most program is waiting after invoking vim.

ps: never used msynctools

#3 2009-01-14 22:08:23

sisco311

did you run the command as root?

i don't know if it will work but try to change the default editor to nano:

EDITOR=nano msynctools --configure nokia 2

don't drink unwashed fruit juice.
i never make predictions, especially about the future.

#4 2009-01-15 10:48:41

zenlord
Website

It could be that I have to run it as root, and no, I have not tried it yet.

I just made the assumption that it is a personal configuration that does not have to be set system-wide - but I could be wrong...

THX!

Zl.

Board footer