You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-17 00:56:34

allbluedream

New Xorg: I disabled the crap, but still got messed up!

I know, I know, this is just another complaint thread which shows just how unskilled I am at using Arch, but anyway...

Updated the kernel yesterday but forgot to rebuild my NVIDIA driver. If things went on as 'normal' I would be thrown into a blue screen upon next boot telling me that X failed to start, and I can ctrl + alt + f1 my way to fix things up (I use gdm). But today things went a bit different. I wasn't able to use my keyboard when the blue screen showed up! Apparently all input devices went down the drain with Xorg and there is no falling back!

So even if I disable the crap, I won't be using the same Xorg feature as before?

Luckily I have a working Ubuntu installed side by side and I was able to take gdm out of rc.conf. I am right after all to keep one 'stand by' distro just in case that Arch goes wrong...

#2 2009-01-17 00:58:49

josomebody

Re: New Xorg: I disabled the crap, but still got messed up!

That's what I keep a live-cd-any-live-cd around for.

: () { : | :& } ;:

#3 2009-01-17 01:39:23

mrunion
Website

Do you boot using Grub? (Not sure how to do this using lilo.) When you boot up, edit the startup option and passa "3" on the end of the boot string.  You should go straight to a command prompt and skip X altogether. Does that help or even make sense?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#4 2009-01-17 01:52:25

allbluedream

mrunion wrote:

Do you boot using Grub? (Not sure how to do this using lilo.) When you boot up, edit the startup option and passa "3" on the end of the boot string.  You should go straight to a command prompt and skip X altogether. Does that help or even make sense?

I think this should help smile

Anyway, since the last upgrade I also lost my sound... It really takes forever to maintain a working Arch installation...

Board footer