You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-17 17:01:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

Root File system is reporting that it's full [SOLVED]

My root file system is reporting as full, and I'd like some ideas on how to track the problem. I've tried a number of things like searching for the largest directory, searching for the largest file, and all that jazz. I'm obviously missing something. /dev/sda3 should be at 50%.

One note. The computer started what seemed like normal today. I converted my second hard drive to ext4, rebooted, and started to notice that things that needed the /tmp directory couldn't start. I made some quick space to get operational by removing 56M of stuff from pacman's cache, but that's a quick hack. I don't know if this is related or not. I am running testin

#2 2009-01-17 17:04:59

u_no_hu

Re: Root File system is reporting that it's full [SOLVED]

xdiskusage?  if you can make some space to install it ........ smile

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2009-01-17 17:06:05

kjon

As far as I know, there are some people complaining againts ext4 free space calculation routine. Try running a e2fsck -f to see if it helps.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#4 2009-01-17 18:13:12

skottish
Forum Fellow

u_no_hu wrote:

xdiskusage?  if you can make some space to install it ........ smile

Wow. Through xdiskusage /dev/shm is reporting 2GB of space, but 0% used. I don't even know what /dev/shm is. That would account for a lot of the missing space if it were in use. Thanks for that.

@kjon. That was my first thought. But since the file system in question hasn't been touched, I ruled it out. I'm probably wrong to do so.

****This post was majorly edited****

Alright, xdiskusage is showing 3.765GB of space being used and listed as permission denied. Even as root I can't see what's happening with this. This does in fact account for the missing space.

#5 2009-01-17 19:28:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm at a loss here. Running the filesystem check showed that everything is normal. All partitions except for my root partition are showing correct values. Going through and checking folder sizes of everything under /dev/sda3 looks like it's fine.

One thing that may help is that after I ran the filesystem check, I'm completely out of room now. I had to delete some things to even get to the point where the system would boot. Then I deleted some more so that I could funtion a bit.

#6 2009-01-17 19:35:40

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Could that be some (temporary) log file that gets big? And I'm not sure I understand: while you get space problems, "df" displays free space?

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#7 2009-01-17 19:53:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Sorry for the slow responses. I'm learning how to use links in a hurry.

df is showing the root filesystem at 100%, and du -ch -max-depth 1 / looks like everything is correct in size.  /dev/sda3 should be around 50% or less. The log files are normal. pacman's cache is empty. Hmmm???

#8 2009-01-17 19:56:27

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

What kind of file system?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2009-01-17 20:03:39

skottish
Forum Fellow

/ext2 for /boot, /ext3 for / and /home, and now ext4 for /backup which is a different drive all together.

#10 2009-01-17 20:12:51

kjon

/var/log ? what about it?
isn't everything.log eating 2GB? big_smile (I've seen it!)

what about du -h on root? it will spit a lot of info about each file. And about /dev/shm, usually is a tmpfs sized to match the half of your ram.

And, grab yourself a copy of slitaz (or something like that)... big_smile

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#11 2009-01-17 20:34:34

skottish
Forum Fellow

All directories are reporting good sizes. I currently don't have the ext4 partition mounted. Everything adds up correctly. I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious:

~ > sudo du -ch --max-depth 1 /
32K    /tmp
12M    /etc
56K    /dev
8.0K    /mnt
12K    /srv
13M    /sbin
4.1G /backup
4.0K    /lib64
86M    /var
2.5G    /usr
2.3M    /root
16K    /lost+found
96M    /lib
6.5M    /bin
91M    /opt
0    /sys
16K    /media
106G    /home
0    /proc
9.5M    /boot
113G    /
113G    total

#12 2009-01-17 20:35:57

skottish
Forum Fellow

Remember, /home and /backup (unmounted) are on seperate partitions. /dev/sda3 is around 8GB.

#13 2009-01-17 21:22:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

***I'm a dork***

I should have seen this before. In the output above, you'll notice /backup 4.1GB. The mount point /backup is supposed to be the second hard drive. For some reason within this process the system is trying to mount it under /dev/sda3 and not /dev/sdb1. Or, somehow /backup got copied to /. Either way, I'm sure I missed something in my configuration.

***I'm still a dork***

#14 2009-01-17 21:59:53

MoonSwan

You're a dork who solved this issue and will know better next time.  How is this a bad thing?  I'm sure someone around here has done worse Skottish, so don't feel too stupid.  (Won't name names but I'm sure as well that I've done worse somewhere...)

In the meantime, while you're down...*bonks skottish with the dork-stick*  big_smile

#15 2009-01-17 22:09:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

MoonSwan wrote:

You're a dork who solved this issue and will know better next time.  How is this a bad thing?  I'm sure someone around here has done worse Skottish, so don't feel too stupid.  (Won't name names but I'm sure as well that I've done worse somewhere...)

In the meantime, while you're down...*bonks skottish with the dork-stick*  big_smile

Thanks for the kind words MoonSwan.

This happened because of the way my system is set up. I have rsync making backups of /home and /etc to /backup on close. It turns out that rsync created the /backup directory instead of using the existing one. Why? Because /dev/sdb1 wasn't mounted when I restarted after the conversion. Doh!

#16 2009-01-17 23:06:55

kludge

skottish wrote:
MoonSwan wrote:

Thanks for the kind words MoonSwan.

This happened because of the way my system is set up. I have rsync making backups of /home and /etc to /backup on close. It turns out that rsync created the /backup directory instead of using the existing one. Why? Because /dev/sdb1 wasn't mounted when I restarted after the conversion. Doh!

no shame in that.  i totally freaked out once when i was still in school because i couldn't find a paper that was due.  turned out i had /home unmounted when i saved the file, but had /home mounted when i went looking for it.

it was hiding under the mounted filesystem the whole time!

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

Board footer