You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-15 18:07:08

mercy

Books and Linux

hey

Does anybody of you know good book's related to the topics:

*/Linux-server, */Linux-networking, */Linux-system operating, server/networking-security, backup, clustering, cisco-networkcomponents (router,switch,contentswitch,ios,...), websphere, db2,...(and so on)  with */Linux in generall and in special with RedHat Server wich is running on the servers at work sad

and yes i know google and all those fancy howto's, man's, and loads of pdf's ... i rly prefere good old style printed BOOK's  roll

greetz

good means: not for noob's but rly good explaned (why and how ) with as much information as possible and also useable to look something up..  wink

#2 2004-10-15 19:11:16

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#3 2004-10-15 20:20:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Books and Linux

you can print off the how-tos
steal some paper reams from work, or print them on your lunch break

8)

just for the sake of it:
the *nix way is really to use online docs (that means the fancy man's how-to's and pdf's you speak of)... that's part of the reason you don't see as many *nix books.  Print books are for people who don't know how to hit F1 in Microsoft Word.  Print books are for people who want pretty pictures of what Macromedia Flash can "Do For You(TM)".  Print books are for english classes.   
Not only do you learn things IN electronic docs, you learn things while USING electronic docs.  You learn that "huh, I can throw numbers at `man` to reference different man pages".  You learn how to better search google to find information.  You learn techniques to learn new techniques.

Think of it this way - if you're working on your new-fangled RH servers, and something goes wrong that isn't in your book, what are you going to do? Rush to amazon.com and next-day-air a new book?  Speed on over to Borders?

Don't discount the power of electronic docs - I will bet you that I can field any Linux question in less than a day simply by using google+man+info, no matter how odd or obscure...

#4 2004-10-15 21:23:34

mercy

and you gave the answer to it ... why books... its the time-factor.. with some good books you are 1 000 times faster than with google/forums... just because of the fact that you already have a high chance to be already somewhere where the information is you need... in google? oh dear... happy linkklickin' for nuts lots of times until you find the one hp were the thing you'r lookin for is on page 948223 after clickin' on the 2903 link...

you got my point?
im NOT AGAINST e-docs... oh no.. they are rly powerfull.... man's, pdf's especially if you have em lying arround wink

... i didn't want to say.. shit on em all i wanna throw away my money...

got my point?  wink

#5 2004-10-15 22:13:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

mercy wrote:

and you gave the answer to it ... why books... its the time-factor.. with some good books you are 1 000 times faster than with google/forums...

about 200 000 times faster if you're a dialup user. And books are more comfortable and much easier to "scroll". I've been studying online for four years... I've learned to get information from the web, but that didn't stop me from ordering a book on tiger's new features for reference. Its like having a separate monitor dedicated to one topic.

im NOT AGAINST e-docs... oh no.. they are rly powerfull.... man's, pdf's especially if you have em lying arround wink

Out of curiosity, am I the only person that hates pdf files more than anything else whatsoever (even LaTeX and MS Word)?   Part of the problem is with the applications that show it (Acrobat: YUCK, xpdf: YUCK, kghostview: Argh, too many dependencies, etc), but there's also the locking in the file format, that "information should be private" thing, that inability to correct spelling errors, that inability to save form data entered... ok, I'll stop now.

Dusty

#6 2004-10-15 22:24:47

mercy

pdf.... what i rly hate about it is that it is so fuckin' slowon my sys.. 100% CPU just cuz i open a pdf and keep it open... cpu keeps prozessing and prozessing and prozessing....

strange things are going on in ARCH... (the world)  lol

#7 2004-10-15 22:48:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hey, I just got a reference book on Nvidia's Cg... so don't get me wrong

The skills to learn are how to formulate good searches... you want info on how to make sudo work for everyone in a group? (I just did this) sure you could google for "sudo" - but try "sudo sudoers group command" and the first page is FILLED with how to do it.

Looking for info on linux networking, try "linux network administration utilities" which should give you a nice list of things to use.... check some of the concepts they use, if you don't understand, google the concept....

now I can understand if you have a slow computer.... however there's always elinks/lynx/links if you just want text....

if you MUST use a book, try the O'Rielly ones - great publisher...

#8 2004-10-15 23:17:04

mercy

hehe  smile

thx for the hind ill have my eye's open  big_smile

for shure the first thing to learn with */linux is "how to" google (maybe this should be the first hint  lol )

i didn't want to point out that it is a bad thing to do it via e-doc's ... at least consearning actuality forums and doc's provided by the projects it self or some *nux'ers are the best source.
on the other hand... even if you store everything good you found some time somwhere... simply looking up something isn't that fast as with the index of a book  wink

eg. i have a nice c/c++ book/reference lying next to me everytime i try to do something ... even if its written for a dos borland compiler several years ago... lot of things are still very very nice to know  big_smile

maybe this gives you a better insight view in what i would love to have. And personally spoken i also like "learning" (understanding the basics and not simply solving a task right now) by books much more than e-doc's ... dunno why.. memorization is significately easer at least (and you know where you have to look in the book cuz you have the "page" in your mind somewhere . wink )

--------------

and
nope my machine isnt that slow...

model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1145.195
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2260.99

additionally 1 GB RAM

i dont have the sligtiest idea why acroread eats my CPU up simply for displaying a pdf  :evil:

#9 2004-10-16 09:16:10

paranoos

this post is off-topic, i know
but one thing i really really hate about pdfs is how UGLY they are!

the fonts are always messed up / very aliased. even worse, everyone crams tonnes of pictures into the things, which isn't bad, except that in order to keep the file size down, they're compressed and look awful, especially when zoomed to a decent reading size.

btw, i find gpdf is faster and looks nicer than most of the other pdf viewers i've tried.

... i've got to look for a pdf -> txt + jpg converter smile

Board footer