You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-12 00:31:59

farkenell

X Freezing up / twinview? Flash?

Hello~
Was tinkering around with my system last night, and was having a few issues. It appears X stops accepting keystrokes and mouse input at some point, and I am still able to ctrl+alt+backspace. Now I suspect a couple of things.

Recently I've enabled twinview on my computer, and also installed flash10.0 and OSS.

I was wondering if there was a possible conflict or a known issue?

I'm running the latest kernel, fluxbox, and at the time I had xmms and youtube open as well. Also running 64bit.

Ta.

Last edited by farkenell (2009-01-12 00:32:45)

#2 2009-01-15 21:13:03

JonnyJD

Re: X Freezing up / twinview? Flash?

I have similar symptoms, though this could also be releated to my window manager.
randomly this happens:

somehow after changing to another window, I can't change windows anymore. Not with clicking and not with ALT+TAB. I can still type in the active window and use other shortkeys (ALT+T opens a terminal for me i.e). After I press ALT+TAB once, all keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore, too.

In the active window I can still type and use the keyboard (but don't use the mouse) and when I close the window, another one is activated and I can also use the keyboard in that one.
I end up closing all the windows one by one and then restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

I couldn't find a way to produce this, yet. To me it is still randomly. I also haven't found any messages related to this.

I am also running the latest stuff, also fluxbox and I have 2 monitors running for quite some time now. I suspect it has something to do with the new X server, because they did something with the input management and this is also about the time when these things occur.
EDIT: I am running the normal 686 build.

EDIT:
It might or might not have something to do with resizing console windows (urxvt in my case), because it appears to me, that this is happening more often when I do things like this. It is possibly that this only annoys me more, because then I mostly do serious work..

Last edited by JonnyJD (2009-01-15 21:24:48)

#3 2009-01-18 11:49:33

farkenell

I think I've figured this out....

try commenting out

Section "ServerFlags"

#    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
    Option         "RandR" "on"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

or just disabling Xinerama in nvidia-settings.

Will see how things run now....

It was bugging me for awhile I was getting a message that couldn't find extension randr everytime I started a program. well this resolves that, anyway.

Last edited by farkenell (2009-01-18 11:50:24)

#4 2009-01-19 00:59:18

JonnyJD

I had that same randr problem.

I try turning Xinerama off right now, but this is only a temporary workaround (if it works).

After all, I turned Xineram on to be able to move windows across monitors, which is not possible with Xinerame turned off.

#5 2009-01-19 08:14:37

farkenell

It works for me, you just need to enable twinview. in nvidia-settings.

#6 2009-01-19 16:50:10

JonnyJD

Well, last time I remember trying TwinView, my Windows maximized to both screens. It seems that TwinView became better, because now it works like I want: I can move windows to other monitors, but they are only maximized to the current monitor.

So I disabled Xinerama in the ServerFlags, removed the Second Screen from the  ServerLayout and set
Option     "TwinView" "0" and an
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP nvidia-auto-select +1280+0"
in the First Screen (Section).

This is actually a solution I could work with. Thank you for the tip.

Board footer