You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 18:23:32

benji.ijneb

building a Dell Studio 15 that works!

I'm looking for a new, linux friendly laptop and the dell studio 15 caught my eye. Unfortunately, the version with ubuntu on it is not available in the UK... but i'm not too interested in ubuntu any more, i'd like to dual boot in with vista/arch linux.
I'm still very new to all this, and i have no idea what will and what won't work. I'm looking for a laptop that will function as near to perfectly as possible with as little configuration as possible (a lot to ask, i know). When i installed arch on my current laptop (a dell latitude c400) it was literaly as easy as follow the install procedure, install xorg + kdemod, and you're done - no xorg.conf configuration at all! it's important to note that i don't have wireless on this laptop, so that saved a lot of trouble!

so, would it be possible for any of you linux geniuses/gurus to help me to build my system? i'm looking for easy suspend + sound + hotkeys... the real deal! in other words, i want my linux experience on this laptop to be far better than my vista experience (no problem, huh!?)

thanks for all your help!

p.s. remember that i'm living in england - it's the dell.co.uk site

#2 2009-01-19 20:01:18

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: building a Dell Studio 15 that works!

since the dell studio 15 is also sold with ubuntu, you will be sure that everything will work fine with linux in general. just get the one you like and can afford.

if you want everything to 'just work' out-of-the-box, use ubuntu. you can download the studio-specific ubuntu-ISO from the dell site and it will easily let you setup a dualboot scenario.

be willing to get your (own) hands a little dirty if you want it to run vista/arch in dualboot. hardware-wise you will be just fine, and if you have any questions you know the drill: wiki first, then forum. people here will be more than willing to help you out with any specific problems you might encounter.

good luck!

Last edited by litemotiv (2009-01-19 20:02:59)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2009-01-19 20:26:38

benji.ijneb

problem is, none of the options for the ubuntu version in the US are available in the windows version in the UK - the wireless, processor, graphics card etc are all different...

#4 2009-01-19 21:10:23

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

that won't be a problem, rest assured. dell uses very mainstream components that you will have no problem getting linux drivers for (including the 1397 wireless mini card).

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer