You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-19 04:13:06

soupcan

Re: [Solved] How to get CD/DVD drive working?

kludge wrote:
soupcan wrote:
kludge wrote:

you *can't* mount an audio cd.  they don't have a filesystem.  period.

want you want is to install a ripper app.  cdparanoia is common.  i favor abcde.  if that won't do the trick, perhaps it will at least give you more output about the problem.  have you tried playing an audio cd with, e.g., audacious?

I learned something new. : )
I have cdparanoia, but all I have for audio players are MPD and Sonata. Ummmm... would Asunder do?

whatever.  as long as it thinks it knows how to play an audio cd, it should complain if it can't.

you could also just try cdplay from the cdtools package.

Hooray! Asunder detects the CD (it hadn't in the past), but nothing happens when I tell it to rip.

#27 2009-01-19 04:26:29

kludge

soupcan wrote:
kludge wrote:
soupcan wrote:

I learned something new. : )
I have cdparanoia, but all I have for audio players are MPD and Sonata. Ummmm... would Asunder do?

whatever.  as long as it thinks it knows how to play an audio cd, it should complain if it can't.

Hooray! Asunder detects the CD (it hadn't in the past), but nothing happens when I tell it to rip.

have you tried running it in a terminal and looking for errors?  can't help without more info than "nothing happens".

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#28 2009-01-19 04:45:26

soupcan

kludge wrote:
soupcan wrote:
kludge wrote:

have you tried running it in a terminal and looking for errors?  can't help without more info than "nothing happens".

That's true. I've also discovered my problem: the CD I was using to test my drive is damaged. Everything is working flawlessly.

I feel like a fool now. roll

#29 2009-01-19 04:49:13

kludge

meh, don't worry about it.  shit happens.

but please do mark as solved.

and rip happy!

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#30 2009-01-19 19:32:27

sica07

kludge wrote:
sica07 wrote:

Hello everybody! I, too have a problem with my cdrom drive. When I'm trying to mount it I get the error:"special device /dev/cdrom does not exist".  I know that usually /dev/cdrom it's a link to a real device, but there is no device in /dev (beside my 2 HDDs). fdisk -l shows me only the HDD partitions. I didn't found any errors in my log files. Actually, Arch it's not seeing my CDROM drive.

i can only imagine that the module hasn't been loaded.  otherwise, you'd have the device.

don't know your set-up, but here it's simply cdrom, which depends on sr_mod.

I don't know how ot check if  sr_mod module is loaded. All I know is that SCSI is enabled. But how can I check if sr_mod is enabled/loaded?

#31 2009-01-19 20:31:18

kludge

yo, sica07,

this actually a very different problem, and should have it's own thread.  but since we're already up to the knees in it, try these:

http://www.bigwebmaster.com/General/How … ule-HOWTO/
http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Kernel_modules
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/ … dules.html
(ignore the bit about kudzu, that's red hat specific)

the commands for modules, and the fu to use them, will stand you in good stead forever more.

p.s.: i got those links by googling "beginners guide loading kernel modules."

p.p.s: w00t! post 150!

Last edited by kludge (2009-01-19 20:37:15)

Board footer