You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-18 22:43:41

jasonwalsh

Hard drive won't boot

After the most recent nvidia/kernel26 upgrades, suspend stopped working so I was trying things to fix that, which most of the time resulted in my box locking up, where I had to do a hard reboot.  Obviously not good for my hard drive, and I think I finally killed it.  When I tried to boot, my BIOS threw a "Disk boot failure".  I booted SystemRescueCD, and and used TestDisk to rewrite the MBR.  When I booted I got the "1234F:" prompt, but couldn't get past it.  At this point, I would've just assumed that the HDD was dead and moved on, but when I'm booted into SystemRescueCD, I can mount all of the disk's partiton, fdisk shows a normal looking table, and fsck goes cleanly on all the partitions.  I've never dealt with a disk failure before, so is that normal for a borked disk, or can I still get this thing to boot again?  Or is there a way I can reinstall my boot partition with a standard Arch one?  Would re-installing Arch on this disk do anything?

If all else fails, I can just install Arch on a different drive, and move everything over since I can access the partitions.  This is a relatively new drive, (about 8 months, I think), though, so I'd like to be able to keep using it, but I'm out of ideas of what to do.

Thanks,
Jason

#2 2009-01-19 04:24:18

kludge

Re: Hard drive won't boot

you should just be able to boot from a live cd, chroot into your harddrive install and reinstall grub.  i think.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#3 2009-01-19 22:32:09

jasonwalsh

Re: Hard drive won't boot

I had backups, so I didn't spend that much time on it and just reinstalled from a live cd onto my drive then threw the backups in

Board footer