You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 11:36:52

senjin
Website

[not a problem?] Errors in kernel upgrade

I received the following messages when upgrading the system. Can I reboot safely?

==> Building image "default"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.28-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
:: Begin build
ERROR: module 'ide[-_]disk' not found
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Generating module dependencies
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS

Edit: I just realized I don't have all the packages I'd need to downgrade (mkinicpio). How to make sure my system will be operational?

Edit2: mkinitcpio 0.5.19 is no longer available... so there's no way back. Is there any hope to have system running?...

Edit3: Surprisingly system boots fine... but that was scary wink

Last edited by senjin (2009-01-19 14:58:06)

#2 2009-01-19 21:45:52

kludge

Re: [not a problem?] Errors in kernel upgrade

do you have modules specified in your mkinitcpio.conf?  i know a couple modules have changed names recently, so it's possible that something you need and have explicitly included isn't there or isn't called that anymore.

on the other hand, i'm pretty sure that 'ide[-_]disk' isn't a valid module name, in which case this is a bug in one of the mkinitcpio scripts.  luckily they're all straight bash, so they're easy to read and debug.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#3 2009-01-19 22:31:55

senjin
Website

My mkinitcpio.conf looks like this:

MODULES="scsi_mod ide-core ide-disk via82cxxx ide-pci-generic  reiserfs"
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="base"

Does it mean that I don't really need some of the modules listed? How can I check this?

And how do I know when a module changes its name?

#4 2009-01-19 23:53:00

kludge

Does it mean that I don't really need some of the modules listed? How can I check this?

that's exactly what it means.  if you can still boot without that module, then you're good to go.  i can't think of good way to check off the top of my head without building a parallel initcpio and testing.  however, there are multiple threads on the forum about tweaking you initcpio, and then there's this:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/01/30 … kinitcpio/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/01/27 … toloading/

And how do I know when a module changes its name?

good question.  wish i had a quick answer hmm

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

Board footer