You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-18 15:06:41

zoryfl

[SOLVED] (reason found) X freezing randomly

Hi there guys.

I have got a problem with my x server freezing 'randomly', as the topic already says.
I am using arch on my new laptop (Dell Latitude E4300) for some days now and encountered several problems which I all managed to solve but not this one.

X never used to freeze on my desktop so I do not know what might be the reason. At first I thought it might be the energy saving measures of the laptop and turned them all off. Sitting next to and observing it, everything seemed fine after that. When, after 20mins, screen dim turned on (thought I turned it off, though..) I just accepted it and thought about the problem as solved. When I moved the mouse to go back to work at the laptop, I noticed it was frozen again! I could still move the mouse but I was not able to click anything, use the keyboard or anything else. Restart X does not work.
I have to use the power button to turn it completely off in such a case.

Now another thing is: It is highly unprobable it is a energy-saving thing only because this morning when I had FF running and wanted to start Konqueror to check something, X froze too (no mouse as well, this time). Same yesterday, I do not remember what I did back then, though.

I posted my xorg.conf here.
(I know it is pretty messed up, if you do want to do me a big favour, tell me what to change, please! smile )

If you need any other output to be able to give me a hand, just let me know.

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help me back on the road smile
Regards

edit: added the lspci -nn output here
Using the xf86-video-intel driver Version 2.4.3-1

edit2: After deleting poverdevil, arch didn't freeze this morning when in idle mode.
But it happened to freeze again when I was at university and wanted to shut it down.. pressed on "shutdown" -> freeze.

I still do not have the slightest idea, what it might be. Any help is still appreciated!

Last edited by zoryfl (2009-01-23 09:19:16)

#2 2009-01-19 22:32:49

dakor

Re: [SOLVED] (reason found) X freezing randomly

I had the same problem. I stopped using compiz-fusion and it went away.

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

#3 2009-01-20 06:37:55

zoryfl

I am not using compiz-fusion but the kwin desktop effects. I will try to switch them off but I read that the problem still occured for others which also turned their 3D-effects off.

I decided to give this bug report a try and posted my problem there as well because it is getting more and more probable to me that this is a driver's problem.

And there, in the bug section, I also read that there is a new xf86-video-intel driver, version 2.6. if I remember it right. Maybe this will be the fix.. ?!

edit: dakor, you really seem to be right. I turned kwin desktop effects off and it did not freeze yet.. Weird stuff.
But that does mean it is a video-intel driver bug, doesn't it? I am not marking this as solved, yet..

Last edited by zoryfl (2009-01-20 17:02:02)

#4 2009-01-20 21:13:26

dakor

I really have no clue in where the bug is. I think I am going to wait until a new intel driver comes out, then give compiz-fusion another try.

I do not know if this helps at all but XFCEs compositer effects do not cause X to lock up.

Last edited by dakor (2009-01-20 21:15:13)

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

#5 2009-01-20 23:11:14

dakor

There was a bug reported for this issue here. http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12821

Installing the newest libdrm from the aur (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22973) fixed the problem.

Last edited by dakor (2009-01-21 00:59:19)

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

#6 2009-01-21 13:21:05

zoryfl

I actually just read that as well. So C-F works for you now, mhm- sounds good to me.

But I probably will just wait until the new libdrm version comes to the repos. Should not take too long after it is now proved that this bug belongs to that lib. Or am I wrong?

#7 2009-01-21 19:50:41

dakor

I dunno if libdrm will be updated soon. This is from the maintainer in the bug report, "Updating libdrm won't happen because it breaks things on both the ATI and Intel driver. We need a new version of mesa to get this thing working correctly. I will apply the patch suggested in this bugreport soon." I don't have an ATI card so I just grabbed the new libdrm from the AUR.

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

Board footer