You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 07:56:25

bslagowski

PCManFM Listing Absent Drives

I don't use a file manager very often but when I fired PCManFM up earlier I noticed this issue: on the left side bar where it lists present drives (partitions, CDs, USB stick, etc.) it's showing basically everything I've mounted in the past week or so. A couple partitions that I was going to install BSD on, a DVD I ripped, a CD I had mounted, etc. Why are these showing up if they're not mounted? Like I said, I don't use a file manager very often so I'm not sure when exactly this started but it must have been in the last couple weeks or so. I installed the SVN version from the AUR and the same issue shows up. I use HAL for automounting, could it be related to that?

#2 2009-01-19 14:38:53

firecat53
Website

Re: PCManFM Listing Absent Drives

Hmmmm...as far as I know, that's been the default behavior for pcmanfm as long as I've been using it. It shows all the possible drives from your fstab (click to mount) and then any removable devices that are currently plugged in.

Scott

#3 2009-01-19 22:17:10

bslagowski

I only have three devices in my fstab. It's showing a couple different USB sticks (which aren't plugged in and haven't been for a week or so), a partition which isn't in my fstab but I did mount (and later unmount) 3 or 4 days ago. It shows a 3.1 GB and a 710 MB drive - one is a DVD I ripped and the other a CD I ripped. Neither are in my optical drive at the moment.

Last edited by bslagowski (2009-01-19 22:19:12)

#4 2009-01-19 22:21:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

I've been noticing strange behavior in PCManFM since the last gamin update. For me it's been mainly folders not updating on screen, but only occasionally. I was still looking for a pattern in this before I posted about it. Is everyone having problems running gamin also?

#5 2009-01-20 01:01:09

firecat53
Website

Yes, I switched back to fam about a month or two ago because of the folders/files not updating when something changed. Haven't tried it again yet smile

Scott

#6 2009-01-20 05:44:05

bslagowski

I'm running fam, not gamin. You don't have this problem with fam, Firecat?

#7 2009-01-20 14:20:50

Mektub

I have been jumping between fam and gamin, but sporadically folders dont get updated on the screen with both.

No way sad. Meanwhile I am looking at xfe and krusader.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#8 2009-01-20 17:34:03

firecat53
Website

bslagowski wrote:

I don't have the problem of files/folders not updating while I'm running fam. The 'problem' you originally described(as I understand it) -- all of your available partitions being shown, not just the mounted ones -- is, as I said, the default behavior for pcmanfm. Am I understanding your question?  smile

Scott

#9 2009-01-20 23:08:40

bslagowski

firecat53 wrote:
bslagowski wrote:

I don't have the problem of files/folders not updating while I'm running fam. The 'problem' you originally described(as I understand it) -- all of your available partitions being shown, not just the mounted ones -- is, as I said, the default behavior for pcmanfm. Am I understanding your question?  smile

Scott

No, I think you're missing the question a little. PCManFM is showing drives that aren't available. I have a combo drive - CD+DVD - and it shows up twice. I use a couple different USB sticks, none of which are plugged in now. Two of them are showing up. I have a partition that isn't mounted and isn't listed in fstab. I mounted it about a week ago and then later unmounted it. It's showed up ever since, even though it never used to.

The drives that are in my fstab (and the ones that I expect to be shown) do show up. This is the default behavior you're talking about.

200901201701061280x800smy9.png
w236.png

The ones with the red brackets shouldn't be there, and until the last week or so weren't. The first two are from a CD and DVD that I ripped a week or so ago. The 10.2 GB volume is a partition I mounted for a brief time. The 6.1 GB is a flash drive. I'm not even sure what the hell the 377 MB is, the only thing I can think of is another flash drive I used (but it's 512 MB, so not sure whats up with the size - I don't have a partition that size). The /boot isn't in fstab anymore but I DID mount it about a week ago.

So maybe the 10.2 GB and /boot partition are "available" partitions which should show up by default (if I understood you correctly) but still, they never did before. What's an available partition? I assumed it to mean something mounted or in my fstab.

Last edited by bslagowski (2009-01-20 23:10:34)

#10 2009-01-20 23:21:22

firecat53
Website

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your problem....unfortunately that now leaves me at a loss to help you!! I haven't seen that behavior before. I plug and unplug ipods, flash drives, and an external hard drive, but I've never seen it 'hold on' to something like that. It's possible (just a guess!!!) that it could be related to a hal problem on your system??

I wish I could help more! I thought it was an easy question at first smile

Good luck,
Scott

#11 2009-01-21 00:37:24

bslagowski

Hal is a good place to start, firecat. I'll start looking into that and see if I get anywhere. Thanks for your help. smile

Board footer