You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-22 02:17:47

kludge

Arch Patchset Breaks Recompile with ACPI Debugging Enabled

so i'm trying to compile and install a parallel kernel, otherwise identical to 2.6.28.1 but with acpi debugging enabled.

i'm following Custom Kernel Compilation with ABS, and have made only minor edits to the pkgbuild, most of them taken from the kernel26-2.6.28.1-1 PGBUILD from the ABS:

kernel26-2.6.28.1-1-ARCH-acipDebug PKGBUILD.

i've added a very minor patch of my own against patch-2.6.28.1-1-ARCH to replace the deprecated ACPI_DB_WARN with ACPI_WARNING:

fix.buggy.bios.patch.patch

edit: i left this bit out: the only other changes i have made are to amend LOCALVERSION and enable power management, acpi, and cpu_greq debugging:

CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ARCH-acpiDebug"
CONFIG_PM_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_PM_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_CAN_PM_TRACE=y
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y

i start the build with makepkg -L.  eventually, it fails with:

Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 2084 modules
ERROR: "acpi_ut_warning" [drivers/acpi/processor.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

full makepkg build log: kernel26-2.6.28.1-1-i686.log.)

i suspect that my patch is insufficient, and that there's some header that needs to included somewhere.  i've determined that ACPI_WARNING is defined as acpi_ut_warning at line 414 of linux-2.6.28/include/acpi/acmacros.h:

#define ACPI_WARNING(plist)             acpi_ut_warning plist

up to figuring that out, i was just keeping my nose above the water-line, but at this point, i'm officially in over my head.  my kernel fu is failing, so i'm hoping someone out there can help me get my fix fixed.  i'd really love to get on with the acpi bug that makes my thinkpad's hotkeys disappear intermittently.

this issue is on flyspray at http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12864. i'd love to squish it before it even gets assigned.

warm, fresh-baked ecookies to anyone who can help out with this one!

Last edited by kludge (2009-01-25 19:54:17)

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#2 2009-01-23 20:52:53

kludge

Re: Arch Patchset Breaks Recompile with ACPI Debugging Enabled

would someone be so kind as to at least try to confirm this bug?  all you need to do is try to compile the arch kernel with above config changes, with and/or without my little patch.  thanks so much to anyone who does.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

Board footer