You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-11 07:23:28

rehcra
Website

Mplayer - GTK2

There's a patch which makes Gmplayer use gtk2.
It's really good - stable, even supports the new file selector.

I suggest to include it in official arch mplayer package.

Here's my PKGBUILD:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.50 2004/07/23 20:18:11 judd Exp $
# Maintainer: dorphell <dorphell@archlinux.org>
# (gtk2 support added by rehcra)
pkgname=mplayer
pkgver=1.0pre5
pkgrel=5rehcra
pkgdesc="A movie player for linux"
depends=('libmad' 'libungif' 'gtk2' 'libvorbis' 
         'libjpeg' 'libpng' 'libtheora')
url="http://www.mplayerhq.hu/"
source=(ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-$pkgver.tar.bz2 http://www.win.net/~ardneh/patches/mplayer1.0pre5-gtk2-20040730.patch.bz2 ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/fonts/font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2 ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/Skin/Blue-1.4.tar.bz2)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/MPlayer-$pkgver
  patch -p1 < ../mplayer1.0pre5-gtk2-20040730.patch
  ## needed because of stupid coreutils messup
  sed -i 's/(head|tail) -1/1 -n 1/' configure
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --enable-linux-devfs --disable-arts 
    --disable-external-faad --enable-runtime-cpudetection --disable-smb  
    --enable-x11 --enable-theora --confdir=/etc/mplayer
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/Skin
  cp etc/{codecs.conf,input.conf,example.conf} $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/font $startdir/pkg/usr/etc
  mv $startdir/src/font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-{14,18,24,28}-iso-8859-1 $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/
  cd $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer
  ln -s font-arial-24-iso-8859-1 font
  mv $startdir/src/Blue $startdir/pkg/usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default
}

(sorry above has some dependencies stripped; i don't like windows codecs and such)

http://pdfinglis.tripod.com/widget.html
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
                                 -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#2 2004-10-16 16:18:24

celeron2002

Re: Mplayer - GTK2

that is good wink 
But if it is compiled against gtk2, mplayer will consume more recurses or no?

irc.bsd.cl #linux
irc.freenode.org #archlinux-es

#3 2004-10-16 16:28:21

contrasutra

We generally don't patch packages unless it's absolutely necessary. So while this is neat, and could be included in a separate package, I prefer not to have base packages like mplayer messed with.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2004-10-16 20:15:21

rehcra
Website

celeron2002 wrote:

that is good wink 
But if it is compiled against gtk2, mplayer will consume more recurses or no?

Yes, but not much. Actually gtk2 consumes about 500k, which means that mplayer-gtk2 will use about 200k more than mplayer-gtk1 (this is not accurate; most of this overhead is due to Truetype fonts, which I'm sure you like). But multimedia player needs much more memory to store decoded frames, so this is negligible.
Running time will not be greater, because mplayer bypasses gtk drawing functions.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
                                 -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#5 2004-10-16 20:25:25

rehcra
Website

contrasutra wrote:

We generally don't patch packages unless it's absolutely necessary. So while this is neat, and could be included in a separate package, I prefer not to have base packages like mplayer messed with.

What I'm going to say should probably go to another thread.
While it's good that Arch linux uses the newest, mostly original packages, patched only when orignal ones are not properly maintained, I think we should do what is best for our users. Don't be too political, because that would turn Arch into Debian.
So whenever possible we should give original maintainers some feedback so that they can incorporate popular patches. If we did integrate gtk2 patch, mplayer developers would be at least a little bit more likely to include it in their version.
Moreover, we should get rid of obsolete packages. And gtk1 is such a package - it is unmaitained and inferior to more modern toolkits.
At last, we could make three packages - "mplayer" without any gui, "mplayer-gtk1" and "mplayer-gtk2".

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#6 2004-10-16 22:14:20

aCoder
Website

it is unmaitained and inferior to more modern toolkits.

Well, I thought someone was doing bug duty on it still, but I agree that it kind of sucks now, and most good gtk apps that we have it around for have moved to gtk2.  Also, I'd like to point out the latest kernel26 pkg, which includes small patches, including an Arch logo, certainly not really necessary.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#7 2004-10-17 03:20:50

contrasutra

rehcra wrote:

What I'm going to say should probably go to another thread.
While it's good that Arch linux uses the newest, mostly original packages, patched only when orignal ones are not properly maintained, I think we should do what is best for our users. Don't be too political, because that would turn Arch into Debian.
So whenever possible we should give original maintainers some feedback so that they can incorporate popular patches. If we did integrate gtk2 patch, mplayer developers would be at least a little bit more likely to include it in their version.
Moreover, we should get rid of obsolete packages. And gtk1 is such a package - it is unmaitained and inferior to more modern toolkits.
At last, we could make three packages - "mplayer" without any gui, "mplayer-gtk1" and "mplayer-gtk2".

Errr....no. I'd venture to say almost no Arch user wants this. We were all fed up by the hacky patching Debian, Gentoo, et al do. We just want the vanilla source, in its compatible glory. I don't want my mplayer patched. Why should I have a patch shoved down my throat? That's backwards. If you want a patch, YOU apply it. You have ABS and srcpac.

Arch is about simplicity, and when you patch everything, you lose that.

As for the Kernel having that Arch logo, I actually don't think it should. We don't "brand" anything else. That should be included as a tutorial in the arch-artwork package. But I (a) don't use the kernel package, and (b) it isn't a big enough deal to fight over.

Sorry to rant, but lots of people keep trying to turn Arch into something it is not (STABLE repo, patches, GUI tools), and I don't like that. I don't have an actual say in the process, but I shall bitch anyway.

EDIT: GTK1 is still used by MANY packages. It is not obsolete. The Arch philosophy also seems to be "don't mess with working things". If the package is unmaintained, it's actually LESS work for the devs tongue.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#8 2004-10-17 04:43:12

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

contrasutra wrote:

Sorry to rant, but lots of people keep trying to turn Arch into something it is not (STABLE repo, patches, GUI tools), and I don't like that. I don't have an actual say in the process, but I shall bitch anyway.

I'm glad I wasn't the one that had to say it this time. *sigh*

Nice ranting. smile

Dusty

#9 2004-10-17 13:13:41

lanrat

contrasutra wrote:

If you want a patch, YOU apply it. You have ABS and srcpac.

That's exactly how I understand arch too. The only reason to apply a patch in an official package that comes to my mind right now is that it's absolutely necessary for example to compile it with the latest gcc or when we know for sure the patch will be adopted by application devevelopers only it may take a long time and without this patch the application is useless for most users (and maybe not even in each case because we can usually just downgrade to a stable version - IIRC this happend to fontconfig in the past).

#10 2004-10-17 15:55:05

freakyc

There seems to be some frustration by some developers, I've noticed lately, in regards to distributions using unsupported patches also.  Pysol is one program that comes to mind.

Then again, the "must be root to burn a CD" stuff was patched out of the official Arch kernel, wasn't it?

#11 2004-10-17 17:34:17

contrasutra

freakyc wrote:

Then again, the "must be root to burn a CD" stuff was patched out of the official Arch kernel, wasn't it?

I believe the patches in the current kernel fix a problem that prevents the user from burning audio CDs (entirely). I know I had to apply those patches manually to get it to work. This is one of those things that is "necessary", IMO. They are present in the Dev kernel too, so it's pretty safe.

#12 2004-10-17 17:41:13

rehcra
Website

contrasutra wrote:

We were all fed up by the hacky patching Debian, Gentoo, et al do.

mplayer-gtk2 patch doesn't look like a hack... Good patches should be included even though devs doesn't want to include them in vanilla sources (eg. Xmms devs don't want to move to gtk2 only because they think it would add bloat to xmms. Hardly anybody agrees with them)

We just want the vanilla source, in its compatible glory.

Mplayer-gtk2 is just as compatible as Mplayer-gtk1 is. This patch is a cosmetic change.
Take into account that kernel development model changed recently. Kernel developers put the responsibility of patching the kernel on distribution maintainers. So if we don't patch the kernel, Arch will be very unstable.

I don't want my mplayer patched.

You can always recompile it with ABS yourself wink

Is it simplicity to compile mplayer with obsolete gtk frontend?

But I (a) don't use the kernel package, (...)

There are people who use it. And don't say it's not a big deal - mplayer with gtk2 is even smaller deal.

EDIT: GTK1 is still used by MANY packages. It is not obsolete. The Arch philosophy also seems to be "don't mess with working things". If the package is unmaintained, it's actually LESS work for the devs tongue.

Which packages need gtk1 that don't have gtk2 equivalent? Note gmplayer's gtk support is optional.
Original developers of gtk don't support it anymore so it's obsolete.
Unmaintained packages are bad, because free software environment is ever-changing and everything looses compatibility.

Actually it's not my intention to patch Arch's current version of mplayer. All I'm asking is to split mplayer into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#13 2004-10-17 17:57:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

All I'm asking is to split mplayer into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.

Errr no!......

Mr Green

#14 2004-10-17 18:21:27

punkrockguy318
Website

Unlike most of the posters here, I think that this is awesome.. gmplayer was always an eyesore to me... gtk.. yuck.. i don't really use any gtk packages except for easytag.. gtk is just so... UGLY...  now I might use gmplayer more often.. Is it okay if I hack this PKGBUILD a little bit and put it in my TUR?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#15 2004-10-17 18:35:46

rehcra
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

Unlike most of the posters here, I think that this is awesome.. gmplayer was always an eyesore to me... gtk.. yuck.. i don't really use any gtk packages except for easytag.. gtk is just so... UGLY...  now I might use gmplayer more often.. Is it okay if I hack this PKGBUILD a little bit and put it in my TUR?

PLEASE DO THIS.
How can I access your TUR?

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#16 2004-10-17 18:38:48

rehcra
Website

Mr Green wrote:

All I'm asking is to split mplayer into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.

Errr no!......

Mr Green, could you explain your point of view, please?
Why no? Are you afraid of dependecy hell ala rpm? Nothing depends on gmplayer.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#17 2004-10-17 18:44:30

punkrockguy318
Website

I'm getting errors on compile.. The first one was because libdv  was needed.. But after that problem I have a new one...

In file included from vo_fbdev.c:21:
../osdep/kerneltwosix.h:4:31: linux/thread_info.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/linux/list.h:1,
                 from ../osdep/kerneltwosix.h:5,
                 from vo_fbdev.c:21:
/usr/include/linux/err_kernel_only.h:1:2: #error Kernel only header included in userspace
make[1]: *** [vo_fbdev.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/punkrockguy318/gmplayer-gtk2/src/MPlayer-1.0pre5/libvo'
make: *** [libvo/libvo.a] Error 2

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#18 2004-10-17 18:46:19

punkrockguy318
Website

rehcra wrote:
punkrockguy318 wrote:

PLEASE DO THIS.
How can I access your TUR?

add this to  your pacman.conf:

[punkrockguy318]
Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/tur/punkrockguy318

I'll put it in there once I get it to compile correctly

#19 2004-10-17 19:21:11

rehcra
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

I'm getting errors on compile.. The first one was because libdv  was needed.. But after that problem I have a new one...

In file included from vo_fbdev.c:21:
../osdep/kerneltwosix.h:4:31: linux/thread_info.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/linux/list.h:1,
                 from ../osdep/kerneltwosix.h:5,
                 from vo_fbdev.c:21:
/usr/include/linux/err_kernel_only.h:1:2: #error Kernel only header included in userspace
make[1]: *** [vo_fbdev.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/punkrockguy318/gmplayer-gtk2/src/MPlayer-1.0pre5/libvo'
make: *** [libvo/libvo.a] Error 2

Seems you have some problems with kernel headers. Didn't you play with kernel version?
I heard one is not supposed to use the headers which come with kernel. There are people (PLD - Polish Linux Distribution maitainers; though this isn't their distro only) who put much effort to clean up the headers and package them. I don't know if Arch uses them, but compiling mplayer works fine for me.
Link to PLD site: http://www.pld.org.pl/
And to the headers: http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#20 2004-10-17 19:29:45

punkrockguy318
Website

I added another ./configure flag and it worked fine...i'll add it to my TUR later

#21 2004-10-17 19:37:41

rehcra
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

I added another ./configure flag and it worked fine...i'll add it to my TUR later

I'm curious what flag...
Thanks for the link to the TUR.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#22 2004-10-18 01:20:32

punkrockguy318
Website

I think it was --disable-fb or something.. I forget.. I hacked a lot of the PKGBUILD... Check the PKGBUILD in the TUR section... I uploaded it and it should be in the servers tommorrow.. Enjoy everyone!  I also added easytag-unstable with gtk2.. it'sn ice

#23 2004-10-18 06:00:17

rehcra
Website

Seems mplayer devs are planning to switch to gtk2...
Here's link:
http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~maxi/htm … 00716.html

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#24 2004-10-18 14:30:26

beniro

Much better than the old mplayer which, although I love it, was a big pain to manage in terms of playlists, etc.

Nice work!

#25 2004-10-18 14:51:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

currently, I use xine do to the much better UI
when the official gtk2 switch happens, I may convert.... but I'm satisfied with xine right now

Board footer