You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-21 18:53:24

Sjoden
Website

PekWM problems with xlock/thunar/window placement

I just switched back to PekWM from openbox, and I'm having a few problems that I don't remember having in the past.

1) I can't get xlockmore to work in the menu. The menu item shows up, but nothing happens. I am able to run it with PekWM's run dialog.

Entry = "lock" { Actions = "Exec xlock -mode -molecule &" }

2) I don't think thunar is talking to HAL. I have HAL and FAM in my daemons array, and HAL should be starting dbus. When I open thunar, I see a seperate item in the side pane for the cdrom and dvd drive, but when I plug in my WD Passport drive, nothing shows up. I put in an audio cd last night, and it couldn't read it. Clicking on the device with the cd in gave me this;

Unable to mount cdrom
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

Click on the Network option gives me this;

Could not display "network:///".
Nautilus cannot handle "network" locations.

3) PekWM isn't remembering window positions. It keeps opening them in the top left, no matter what I do.

I'm at a loss on how to fix this. I messed around for over two hours yesterday and got nowhere. Could #2 be because of a gnome-settings-daemon, or whatever it is that openbox runs on startup?

Thanks

Last edited by Sjoden (2009-01-21 18:57:27)

#2 2009-01-21 20:23:57

Nevturi
Website

Re: PekWM problems with xlock/thunar/window placement

I've been through the configuration of PekWM a few days back, I'm a new user too smile

I'm almost sure it won't remember window positions, since I can't remember reading anything in the docs about it.. I do know you can set predefined window locations for every window in the auto properties.

Not sure about 1) and about 2 my passport seems to work normal.. same with my sd card. Can't remember exactly what I did setup, I know I've got thunar-volman installed.. and hal and dbus are both running as well. Nothing special in my /etc/fstab though.. there was a fileroller thingy, but can't remember the name atm. *looks*

#3 2009-01-21 20:28:26

Sjoden
Website

Well, I fixed number 1, I must have messed it up earlier. Number 2 is still giving me problems. I installed pcmanfm, and it was able to mount external harddrive, but now nautilus can too. Neither of them can mount my audio cd. I tried taking out the cd and dvd lines from fstab, reinstalled hal, and even rebooted, but nothing is working. I did a force download of new package databases and did an update but it was just bash and db.

#4 2009-01-21 20:31:58

Nevturi
Website

Good to hear you fixed one of em smile

And I've installed 'pam' as well, for the automounting stuff. But I don't know if it works with audiocd's since I'm running Arch on an EEE Pc, EEE Box and a headless VPS, all no cd/dvd drives ^^;

#5 2009-01-21 20:35:29

fwojciec

re 2 -- are you starting "thunar --daemon" with your pekwm session?  What are your thunar-volman automounting settings?  Audio CDs are not mountable by the way -- you just have to play them with something that can play audio cds (like mplayer).

#6 2009-01-21 20:43:23

Sjoden
Website

I'm not using thunar. I'm using nautilus, and downloaded pcmanfm for troubleshooting. I'm starting nautilus with 'nautilus --no-desktop' and in browse mode.

#7 2009-01-21 20:49:14

fwojciec

And no drives are mounted -- or is the problem only audio CDs?  Because, like I said, audio cd's simply can't be mounted, they can be played without being mounted.

#8 2009-01-21 20:52:48

Sjoden
Website

Well, I just installed exaile and it can play the cd just fine. I put in my archlinux install cd and pcmanfm and nautilus can mount and read it. Nautilus is still acting weird though. It shows both dvd and cdrom devices in the side pane, which maybe it's always done that, it just looks odd to me though. It says it can't handle "network" locations. I know it can though, because I've connected to some of our windows servers here with it. Agh, also it can't handle the trash either;

Could not display "network:///".
Nautilus cannot handle "network" locations.
Sorry, could not display all the contents of "trash": Operation not supported

I'm probably missing some gnome dependency?

Last edited by Sjoden (2009-01-21 20:54:49)

#9 2009-01-21 20:56:26

Sjoden
Website

!!!!!!
I just right clicked and hit eject on the cdrom device in nautilus

Unable to eject cdrom
eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

It can read the disc just fine though!

edit/
Apparently it mounted under the dvd 'device'. But now I can't eject it at all!

Last edited by Sjoden (2009-01-21 20:58:07)

#10 2009-01-23 16:47:06

blazercist

Sjoden, same problem here

Board footer