You are not logged in.

#926 2009-01-17 06:05:42

MillTek

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

A few days ago I had to install console-kit because kdm wouldn't start.  Since I loaded it, my system seems to run very slowly. When I look at htop there are 63 instances of console-kit daemon.  Surely these aren't necessary.  This is worse than Microsoft!  Apparently console-kit is for tracking multiple user access.  I'm the only user on my machine.  Is there a way to eliminate the need for it???

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by MillTek (2009-01-17 06:06:15)

#927 2009-01-17 06:30:14

atomopawn

Bad news.  Beth doesn't think we can afford to spend money on hosting . . . we had to sink a lot of money into a replacement laptop and some other expenses, so we're behind on our plan to save up for a down payment on a house.  Let me know if I can contribute in other ways!

#928 2009-01-18 05:45:09

MillTek

Anyone noticed that firefox-nightly from Mark's repo locks up when viewing a video on either CNN or Youtube??

Not sure if I should be asking about this here but fon't know where else to do it.

Thanks

#929 2009-01-18 10:28:04

Last of the Wolves

On my system the possibility to change the PowerDevil-profile at the battery-plasmoid disappeared about two days ago. Don't know if it's a problem with my configuration, the package or even KDE. Maybe the KDE-team wanted this to happen. Don't know. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Greetings
Last of the Wolves

#930 2009-01-18 19:14:39

MillTek

Last of the Wolves wrote:

On my system the possibility to change the PowerDevil-profile at the battery-plasmoid disappeared about two days ago. Don't know if it's a problem with my configuration, the package or even KDE. Maybe the KDE-team wanted this to happen. Don't know. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Greetings
Last of the Wolves

Hey Mark,
Just picked up the latest firefox-nightly during a Suydf .  Thanks for the fix.

Jim

#931 2009-01-19 15:16:30

lee_connell

with knetworkmanager4 available, what needs to be done to get it to recognize your networks?  I know on a debian based system you couldn't have your network configured in /etc/network/interfaces, how does that apply to arch?

#932 2009-01-20 09:24:51

Last of the Wolves

Last of the Wolves wrote:

Greetings
Last of the Wolves

Removing and adding the battery monitor brought the profile selection back. That was the more important thing.

EDIT: Last update brought Suspend- and Hibernate-Buttons back too.

Last edited by Last of the Wolves (2009-01-20 10:03:00)

#933 2009-01-22 13:47:33

markc
Website

@lee_connell: I'm not sure how knetworkmanager4 works but the equiv of /etc/network/interfaces is the netcfg package, see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Profiles

Something went a bit strange with the 20090121 build, there were folders in with the binaries and a 10Gb kde-svn.db.gz file! I don't know wtf happened yet but I cleaned up best I could and the i686 packages are uploading again now. As soon as 4.2 is released I'll completely refresh my svn checkouts and probably reinstall both i686 and x86_64 OSes on my build machine like I did about 6 months ago.

Right now there is no kde-svn db repo file so i686 updates will probably throw an error. If so then then try again 2 hours after this post.

I'm having a bit of success with a GIT repo at http://git.eth-os.org so I'll move the source packages there over the next few days.

#934 2009-01-22 16:24:04

EvilSide

@markc - the downloading speed from the repo is extremely slow - 50-120kb/s max sad

Edit: And I've just noticed that amarok (i686) won't play music. Actually ... its playing, but without sound o.O
Edit2: Ok, I've got amarok working.

Last edited by EvilSide (2009-01-22 18:30:21)

#935 2009-01-22 16:33:19

MillTek

Hmmm, I just finished and all the packages averaged 582K/s which is about normal in my experience.

#936 2009-01-24 11:05:06

markc
Website

Damn, same mysterious huge kde-svn.db.tar.gz file... like nearly 8Gb, last night too. Hmpf. It's so hot and humid here I can barely think but seeing the current build script/something is borked, and needs fixing anyway (which I don't have the energy for atm) I'll continue with the kde-svn -> kde/svn + kde/stable transition best I can which means there may not be any new updates for a night or two until I get this new layout in place and tested.

So my pre-apologies if there are no updates for the next day, or two.

#937 2009-01-24 12:40:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

If anybody is interested in trying to reduce the download and local source directory sizes, take a look at svn-export. I wrote it specifically for use in PKGBUILDs where the svn versioning data is not necessary (the user won't commit any code back to the tree) but where the user wants to keep the sources and update them incrementally to avoid a full checkout with each new revision.

There's a commented template PKGBUILD on the info page.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#938 2009-01-24 17:13:44

markc
Website

@Xyne: that's great, I'll look at using this but could I possibly get your original bash version by any chance? I'm trying to keep my dependencies down to a minimum so that even perl, python and ruby are not needed on my systems (eventually). Also, I'd need to tweak it so the VCS sources and $_revfile are kept in $SRCDEST rather than $srcdir. Very useful, my 16Gb of mainly svn checkouts could drop below 10Gb with your svn-export script.

On another point, I just managed to get git http-push to work with my http://git.eth-os.org site using personal certificates to a webdav directory via SSL. Also tested with Firefox, konqueror (3.5.10 anyway), cadaver, curl and now git-http-push so that means I will definitely move the source packages into GIT asap and be able to offer anyone else update perms using a certificate rather than having to login with passwords. I'll set up PunBB in the next few days as well, so I can have a forum thread per package.

#939 2009-01-24 18:51:13

MillTek

When the Akonadi server/service tries to load on my system it fails because QMYSQL is missing.  I can't find it in the regular repos or the AUR.  Anyone have any idea how I get around this??

Thanks.

#940 2009-01-24 19:13:15

pano

MillTek wrote:

When the Akonadi server/service tries to load on my system it fails because QMYSQL is missing.  I can't find it in the regular repos or the AUR.  Anyone have any idea how I get around this??

+1
I also would like to know a solution for this...

I'm also "suffering" from another problem:

Yesterday I switched from x86 (i686) to x86_64, thus I had to reinstall everything again. I also installed KDE from this repo again(btw: a big thanks for this great repo!), and since that I don't have any icons for most of the installed applications.

Does someone else experience this?

thank you

pano

Last edited by pano (2009-01-25 03:50:34)

#941 2009-01-24 22:09:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@markc

markc wrote:

@Xyne: that's great, I'll look at using this but could I possibly get your original bash version by any chance? I'm trying to keep my dependencies down to a minimum so that even perl, python and ruby are not needed on my systems (eventually).

I'll have to dig around to find the most recent bash version on my system and then try to update that (the reason I moved it over to perl was that I kept finding bugs in the bash version). I'm not sure that it would be worth it though, because if you're going to use subversion/openssl anyway, I don't think that you can escape perl deps: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/img/misc/subversion.deps.png

markc wrote:

Also, I'd need to tweak it so the VCS sources and $_revfile are kept in $SRCDEST rather than $srcdir.

I don't understand why you would need to tweak it to do that. The following command should already work (unless I've misunderstood you):

svn-export -r xxxx:HEAD --revision-file $SRCDEST/revision.txt svn://repository/path/to/tree/ $SRCDEST

I'll post back here if I manage to find/recreate a fully working bash version.

#942 2009-01-25 21:09:12

atomopawn

The QMYSQL bug went away for me when I upgraded from qt-copy-4.4.2 to qt-4.5 (by using yaourt to install the qt-beta package).  Don't know if that will work for everyone, but it did the trick for me.

Last edited by atomopawn (2009-01-26 00:26:47)

#943 2009-01-27 03:13:36

atomopawn

Okay.  I had other problems (kdm not loading, plasma crashing) with qt-4.5 so I went back to qt-copy.  However, now I no longer have the problem with Akonadi.  Weird.

#944 2009-01-27 14:03:32

Janax

pano wrote:

Yesterday I switched from x86 (i686) to x86_64, thus I had to reinstall everything again. I also installed KDE from this repo again(btw: a big thanks for this great repo!), and since that I don't have any icons for most of the installed applications.

Does someone else experience this?
pano

Yes, I've been running the x86_64 branch for quite a while, and I have a partial solution for you.  What I did is create links for things in /usr/share/icons/oxygen/scalable/* that point towards the files in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/*.  For example:

# cd /usr/share/icons/oxygen/scalable
# for x in *; do cd $x; for y in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/$x/*; do ln -s $y . 2>/dev/null; done; cd ..; done

Please note that the example code is written without testing... but I think it will work.  Basically you should end up with more icons than you have now.  However, I'm still missing quite a few 'other' icons and Kopete's tray icons are black instead of color...

If someone else knows a full solution for this, please let us know smile.

EDIT:  Oops, forgot to CD back to parent directory at end of internal loop big_smile

Last edited by Janax (2009-01-27 14:50:28)

#945 2009-01-29 22:12:35

pano

thanks for the help, but I had to switch to KDE 4.2 from [extra], as I need some "stability" for the next few weeks...
The icons are all back since I switched, so there must be a problem with the packages (or how I installed them)...

About the akonadi-problem:
After installing "mysql" from [extra] akonadi works without any problems...

pano

#946 2009-01-31 11:29:31

superstoned

Ladies and gentlemen, and especially Markc,

Thank you for these packages. Most of the screenshots in the visual guide to KDE 42 [1] have been made thanks to these packages, and most of the text has been written while I used the daily svn packages. So thanks for the (indirect but important) contribution to KDE 4.2 marketing!

[1] http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/guide.php

Hope you guys have a release party nearby and can visit it ;-)
Website with links to release parties (unfortunately far from complete, contact your local KDE translation team for more info, they often organize things):
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page … ease+Party

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#947 2009-01-31 12:07:26

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Tigertailz wrote:

Hello, I just installed kde from your repo, for fun. Well now I want to remove all the kde packages, is there a way I can do that in one command ?

man pacman

#948 2009-01-31 12:18:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

Xyne wrote:
Tigertailz wrote:

Hello, I just installed kde from your repo, for fun. Well now I want to remove all the kde packages, is there a way I can do that in one command ?

man pacman

How far back was that question?  I gave up looking four pages back...

#949 2009-01-31 14:57:17

markc
Website

@Xyne: sudo pacman -R kde-svn-all or just "kde-svn" will probably remove all of these packages.

@superstoned: glad to know these packages have helped push your announcement schedule along.

IMPORTANT NOTICE to anyone who has been, and still is, following this thread... you will no doubt have noticed there have been no updates for a week now. Rather than beat around the bush and stressing myself out that I should focus on the kde-svn packages and get them rolling again I think I should just state that they will be on hold for a few more weeks while I work on the eth-os.org site and finally get the source packages under Git control. It's a good time for me to take a break because 4.2 is finally here and I presume the binary packages in [extra] or KDEmod will be quite stable and well worth the effort to uninstall kde-svn and try an official 4.2 out for a while. I have every intention of continuing with the kde-svn binary packages for the 4.3 series, but as I mentioned, now is a good time for me to take a break and to rearrange my source repo.

(OT) ATM I am madly hacking on PunBB 1.3.2 to make a typical forum (like this one) into something a little more useful for tracking a set of source packages, and generally try to reduce the size of PunBB to maybe half what it is now, and rearrange the code to my tatstes for future enhancement (to make it multihosting and easier to hack on). The main functional difference will be the very first posting in any thread will be editable by anyone with login permissions (not just the poster), a bit like a wiki, then the following comments relate to that first posting but can be either in ascending or descending order. I have some ways to go but if anyone is into PHP forum software then what I am attempting (a significant rewrite of PunBB) could be of interest... and it's all tracked in Git at http://git.eth-os.org where the source packages will be before too long.

#950 2009-01-31 15:03:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Allan
I have no idea what happened... I thought I was on the last page and that it was a new post. (It's the last post on the first page, oops/lol.)

@markc
Thanks, but I thought I was helping someone else (see my response to Allan)

Board footer