You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-16 05:03:06

ruwach

Lost sd_mod after kernel update

Greetings all,
here is what happened. i did a pacman -Syu and it updated my kernel (along with a bunch of other stuff)
i had a custom 2.6 kernel and a stock 2.6 kernel now i can only run a stock 2.6.8

the kernel now boots up and fails to load sd_mod , which, i believe is necessary for my printer ( which doesn't work now )

has the module changed names? Its a parallel port printer. ( i also have a usb port that I could try, but do not really want to tie it up )

this thing has been a total mess.
any help would save my butt.
thanks

#2 2004-10-16 05:35:28

Win

Re: Lost sd_mod after kernel update

Hi ruwach.

If you haven't already  done so, read the following Arch Linux Wiki entry:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS%20setup

Some of it probably doesn't apply, though, so it might be confusing to you.

There are several things you can do to determine what's going on with your USB modules and set up your printer.

1. Attach and start your USB printer.
2. WIth the 2.6.8 IDE kernel, you'll find that some of the older USB modules have already been compiled into the kernel or have changed, so you won't be able to install ('modprobe') them. You can find what's been compiled into the kernel and what's been left as modules by inspecting /boot/kconfig26 (search for entries with the string 'USB'). As far as I'm aware, sd_mod is no longer a module or compiled in the 2.6.8  kernel.
3. Since you have a USB printer, add 'usblp' to the MODULES in /etc/rc.conf. Also 'modprobe usblp' as root to install it without rebooting.
4. Add 'cups' to the DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf. Start CUPS by running '/etc/rc.d/cupsd start' as root.
5. Unplug and re-plug in your USB printer. (Sometimes this is needed for it to be recognized outside of a reboot. There also might be a short delay after you plug in before the printer's recognized.)
6. Inspect /proc/bus/usb/devices by running 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' and see if you see your printer is now among the attached USB devices. If so, you're well on your way. You might find it helpful to download the 'usbview' Arch Linux package (run as 'usbview' from the command line).
7. Run the CUPS configuration (you can find that in your browser at the URL 'localhost:631').
8. Your printer should be available on one of the USB ports when you go through CUPS configuration.
9. You should now be in the printing business.

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-10-16 22:58:21

ruwach

Yes, well, the printer is a parallel port printer. Dont know what to do now, except try to make it a usb printer ( which i would really rather not do even though it has the ability to become a usb printer.)
what should i do?

#4 2004-10-16 23:18:13

dp
Website

ruwach wrote:

the kernel now boots up and fails to load sd_mod , which, i believe is necessary for my printer ( which doesn't work now )

Wrong! sd_mod means scsi-disk module and is also used for usb-to-ide devices to support usb-harddrives

it has nothing to do with the printer. the printer ... if you mean the parallel port, it's module in the 2.6. kernel is called "lp"

the message "FATAL sd_mod already in kernel" means, that this module is not a module but builtin in the kernel and already works (the new 2.6. kernels need to have sd compiled in for SATA support, so in the stock kernel26, the module is not longer a module and do not exist any more)

if you want to use also a 2.4 kernel, you can leave this module in your MODULES=(), as this FATAL at boot is not harmfull ... but if you definitely swicthed to 2.6. tree and do not use the 2.4. kernel, you can remove or disable (!) this module, as it is not longer needed

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-10-16 23:19:16

dp
Website

ruwach wrote:

Yes, well, the printer is a parallel port printer. Dont know what to do now, except try to make it a usb printer ( which i would really rather not do even though it has the ability to become a usb printer.)
what should i do?

just to be sure, i understand you: you cannot use your printer? do you load the lp module? what's wrong? any errors?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2004-10-16 23:19:47

sarah31
Website

why not look through the modules in /lib/modules(?) and see if it has not changed its name? have you googled to see if this is part of the bugginess of this particualr kernel?

other than looking through the modules for the kernel i cannot really suggest anything. are you sure it is a module thing and not an issue with another upgrade or a matter of setting up your cups or whatever again?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-10-18 05:35:24

ruwach

ok, guys, my bad. For some reason, the hp printer drivers are what changed and i just had to go to localhost:631 and set the printer up again. Sorry for the trouble, mis-diagnosis on my part. I do have  a usb cd-writer, but that seems to be ok. Thanks for your help, sorry about crying wolf.

Board footer