You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-24 14:19:51

arch_nemesis

Assogiate -- how the heck does it work?

So, I wandered around for a couple of hours last night trying to figure out how to edit my file associations in GNOME.  In particular, .avi and .mpg files open with mplayer when I want them to open with Totem.

I tried editing various files.

I tried right-click --> Open With --> Open With Other Application (which, BTW seems to plainly say it will change the association) with no luck.

I tried creating defaults.list and putting entries there.

NOTHING has worked.

So I installed Assogiate.

I anticipated that running it would provide me with a list of mimetypes (it does), and that I could edit information related to them (I can), and that one detail of that information would be what application would open it by default.  Well, if that last item is there, it's well hidden from me.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but could someone please tell me what it is.  smile

#2 2009-01-24 17:37:39

fphillips

Re: Assogiate -- how the heck does it work?

I can't help you with Assogiate, but in Gnome you right-click and go to Properties > Open With to set an association. The way you did it is only for a single use.

Frank

#3 2009-01-24 23:41:02

arch_nemesis

I've done that over and over and over, and still, if I double click, I get mplayer...  (but thanks!)

#4 2009-01-24 23:53:43

arch_nemesis

I'm a complete idiot.  Now that I read what you wrote instead of what I thought you wrote, it works fine.

Thanks!!!

Board footer