You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-18 04:44:02

soniX

creating local repo when I only have access to port 80

A friend of mine is planning on installing arch soon (in the desperate need of a decent package manager)
The problem is that that the cd-rom on his computer is broken, but he got a floppy drive so that should call for a simple ftp install.
But that brings us to the problem:
the BOFH on our uni has blocked EVERY port except port 80 (yes I feel like someone has cut my wings of) so what to do ?
My plan was to set up a local repo on my machine, and connect the two together on a crossed network cable..

I am not quite sure how the arch ftp installer works, so what is the best sollution to this ?
(rsyncing is out of the question I guess since it doesnt use port 80)

1: mount arch cd on my machine, and give ftp access to it, and let him install from that.
2: just give ftp access to my /var/cache/pacman/pkg and do the gensync thing
3: some smart reply from someone who actuallly knows how this stuff works cause I really dont know.. this is just speculations..

I'm hoping altwrnative 1 works, 'cause that means less work....

#2 2004-10-18 07:58:28

paranoos

Re: creating local repo when I only have access to port 80

Repositories can work through FTP as well as HTTP. Check out Arch's repository list to see some examples. pacman's downloader isn't just an ftp client, it's also an http downloader.

#3 2004-10-18 13:42:53

soniX

thank you for clearing this up so fast...

that is alternative 3 then....
Im using the antesis mirror myself so Im well aware of it and pacmans capabilities, but I guess I got confused after looking at the Official InstallGuide's floppy directions.
It truly gives the Impression that installing from a mirror during install is only available over ftp.

Official Install Guide wrote:

Configure Network (FTP Install only)
This menu entry is only available when choosing FTP Installation, for rather obvious reasons.

#4 2004-10-18 13:55:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think the verbage should be changed from "FTP install" to "Network install"

Board footer