You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-17 00:23:52

celeron2002

modconf in arch???

the only thing that i  estrange of debian, is modconf.
Is possible import this util?

irc.bsd.cl #linux
irc.freenode.org #archlinux-es

#2 2004-10-17 00:46:57

sarah31
Website

Re: modconf in arch???

it is possible you would have to get the source and look it over to see where things get installed and such. there may be some important differences in how each manages files and where they are found or expected to be. looking at the source should answer your questions.

if everything looks compatable then just make a package and give it a try. i must say it is a benefit to know how to do your modifications of files/configs.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-10-18 11:53:53

zezaz
Website

Hi celeron2002,

I have been a Debian user for some time, and at first i was (like you) a big fan of modconf. But i met a small problem that made me give up this tool: modconf just lets you say if a module will be loaded or not, but not in which order they load.

Concretely: i had bought an USB webcam with an integrated microphone. In the setup generated by modconf, the USB modules loaded first, then the sound modules.  Thus the /dev/audio was the device my USB microphone, because its kernel module had loaded first; then came my sound card at /dev/audio2.
In other words: my sound apps (xmms, etc...) tried to send sound streams to my USB microphone  smile

The whole point is that modconf had generated a WRONG setup. And, worse,  it did not let me reorder the modules loading, because it was not designed to do so.
Fortunately, manually editing my modules.conf was really not harder than using modprobe.

I never used modconf after that, and, believe me, i never missed it smile

#4 2004-10-18 13:53:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

for the most part, udev will take care of madule loading for you... if you need real specific modules (network, video, etc) simply add them to the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf

how could it get simpler than editing a text file?

#5 2004-10-18 14:23:47

zezaz
Website

Agreed.

I will add that, with the help of hotplug, my MODULES line is now very short smile

Board footer