You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-24 18:47:32

notatoad
Website

network setup is hard

if i ping my router and get the message "destination host unreachable", does that mean my a problem in my settings, or does it mean i don't have the right modules installed to get my network card working?

#2 2009-01-24 19:04:45

lorenzo87

Re: network setup is hard

what card are u using? dhcp o static IP?basically if u are using an ethernet network card u have to open /etc/rc.conf, scrolling down to network and set eth0="dhcp" and look to the daemons if network hasn't a ! before it.. restart and try.. if u are using a wireless card it's different

#3 2009-01-24 19:10:11

notatoad
Website

i'm using a wired connection with a static IP.  other than that i didn't understand a single word of your post.

my modules line in rc.conf has r8169 in it like the aspire arch wiki says to, and my network section looks like this:

eth0="eth0 192.168.1.7 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.254"
ROUTES=(gateway)

Last edited by notatoad (2009-01-24 19:30:01)

#4 2009-01-24 19:16:33

fwojciec

I assume that you are certain that all the settings are correct.  Is the ethernet card working OK?  Does it show in ifconfig output?  Does it work with dhcp?

#5 2009-01-24 19:32:50

notatoad
Website

the settings in the above code block are correct, and the two DNS servers i entered in resolv.conf are correct.  are there any other settings i need?

it does not work with dhcp (times out).  though there is no dhcpd in my /etc/rc.d/ folder, so that might be the problem

the ethernet card worked yesterday under windows, if that's what you're asking.  it is not physically broken.

Last edited by notatoad (2009-01-24 19:35:04)

#6 2009-01-25 12:32:54

lorenzo87

hi..sorry but my english is very bad, i know.. i was just suggesting to you to use dhcp instead of static ip connection..and about the second part i was asking you to check in the section daemons of your rc.conf if the network daemon was commented (so if there was written !network) because if the answer was yes you had to remove the !before it unless you are using networkmanager

#7 2009-01-25 15:09:26

bgc1954

I can relate--network setup can sometimes be a large pain but what you're doing is relatively straight forward.  If you want to use static ip then you don't really need to worry about dhcp, afaik.  As long as you have the right ip address for your router gateway and you have network in your daemons line in /etc/rc.conf, you should be golden.

Like someone else suggested, try the ifconfig command and check the output--it should show eth0 and lo.  Typing route -n will give you info about your router.  As long as you have the correct modules loaded for your network card, I can't see why your connection isn't working.  Have you tried using lspci to confirm that you are using the right netcard module?

A wired connection is about the simplest to setup so here's hoping you don't need wireless anytime soon as that is generally way worse to configure. big_smile

Edit: Don't know if this would apply to you but in the network setup wiki there is this section:

Realtek No Link / WOL issue

Users with Realtek 8168 8169 8101 8111 based NICs (cards / and on board) may notice an issue where the NIC seems to be disabled on boot and has no Link light. This can usually be found on a dual boot system where Windows is also installed. It seems that using the offical realtek drivers (dated anything after May 2007) under windows is the cause. These newer drivers disable the Wake-On-Lan feature by disabling the NIC at Windows shutdown time, where it will remain disabled until the next time Windows boots. You will be able to spot if this is issue is affecting you because the Link light will remain off only until Windows boots, during Windows shutdown it will revert back to the Link light being off. Normal operation should be that the link light is always on as long as the system is on, even during POST. This issue will also affect other OS's without newer drivers (eg. Live CD's). Here's a couple of fixes for this issue.

Maybe this is affecting you??  Full wiki here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network

Last edited by bgc1954 (2009-01-25 15:23:34)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer