You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-14 13:43:45

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Total installed Size

the new feature

Total Package Size:   2.7 MB

is a very usefull one

i now wondered, that it can be really usefull to have a

Total Package Size:   2.7 MB
Total Installed Size:   12.4 MB

feature, because some pkgs take a lot of space

having this, then pacman can try to find out if there is enough space for the action to be performed and then warn the user that there is no enough space left for it if so

what do you think?

if you think this is a good idea, i will post a feature request

hope that more people will vote, if the options are in more than one language


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#2 2004-10-14 13:54:25

dadexter
Member
From: Dorval, QC, Canada
Registered: 2004-09-07
Posts: 274
Website

Re: Total installed Size

That would be a great feature

Offline

#3 2004-10-14 14:01:03

robot5x
Member
Registered: 2004-01-26
Posts: 266

Re: Total installed Size

I know this is already a feature in apt, which I think is quite useful...

Offline

#4 2004-10-14 14:07:20

Mith
Member
From: out there
Registered: 2004-10-05
Posts: 163

Re: Total installed Size

usefull feature and it just would make pacman a bit more comfortable and complete


ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

Offline

#5 2004-10-14 15:33:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
From: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Registered: 2004-01-18
Posts: 5,986
Website

Re: Total installed Size

I couldn't care less, I wouldn't use the feature, but it wouldn't add a significant size to pacman, I'm sure, so no reason to argue against it...

dp, how many languages do you know!!!!!!????

I wish I could pick up human languages as easily as programming ones...

Dusty

Offline

#6 2004-10-14 15:43:05

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Total installed Size

as a high speed internet user i don't need it so if it could be optional that would be the best.

i like the idea but like dusty i wouldn't use it.


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#7 2004-10-14 15:53:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,439
Website

Re: Total installed Size

dp, fair idea - i would like to get an better summary of the packages on my system tho - pacman -Q works ok but it would be better if it did it by groups or repo or whatever too, and included the size, say you were running out of space and you wanted to check how big your packages were so you could hunt through and lose the unused big ones

and as far as your language skills - you could have at least done it so the line for yes and the line for no corresponded to each other - yes in chinese is certainly not "da"

useless fact - i can say thank you approx 30 languages!

Offline

#8 2004-10-14 17:48:19

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Re: Total installed Size

sarah31 wrote:

as a high speed internet user i don't need it so if it could be optional that would be the best.

i like the idea but like dusty i wouldn't use it.

it do not matter, how fast a pkg is downloaded ... this feature concentrates on the size of the files that are to be added to your system additionally

e.g.:

you do "pacman -S some_funny_pkg"

then the output is:

Total Package Size:   2.7 MB
Total Installed Size:   12.4 MB 

e.g. you upgrade your system and kde get upgraded:

Total Package Size:   192.3 MB
Total Installed Size:   450.5 MB (+2.5MB) 

this means:
192.3 MB  is the size of the pkgs to be downloaded

450 MB is the size that these pkgs use on your harddrive (as extracted stuff)

+2.5MB means that the old version took only 448 MB and the new pkgs are now 2.5MB bigger then the old one

highspeed internet users do not care about the first number, but the 2nd and 3rd numbers are affecting not the download but the disk ussage of your harddrive


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#9 2004-10-14 17:58:54

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Re: Total installed Size

dibblethewrecker wrote:

dp, fair idea - i would like to get an better summary of the packages on my system tho - pacman -Q works ok but it would be better if it did it by groups or repo or whatever too, and included the size, say you were running out of space and you wanted to check how big your packages were so you could hunt through and lose the unused big ones

yes, exactly - you can find out, how much a pkg is using on the drive, when it is already installed

dibblethewrecker wrote:

and as far as your language skills - you could have at least done it so the line for yes and the line for no corresponded to each other - yes in chinese is certainly not "da"

the thing is: "Non" is used also by other latin langues (italian ..), so i didn't see the point in adding redundant data (=> imagine 3xNon and the order is back)

dibblethewrecker wrote:

useless fact - i can say thank you approx 30 languages!

i _know_ only 4 languages (de_sd, de, fr, en) but i understand ~6 and i basically understand ~10 langues

"yes", "no" and "i don't understand" i can say in more than 40 langues - these are the most important 3 expressions you MUST know if you start learning by experience (=speaking with natives in their langue) :-)

actually i started a collection on this, but didn't yet made it online document ... stay tuned, maybe sometimes i find some time ... or even better: i start a wiki on it and people can add expressions in their langues ( i plan to call it "wikidix" {{cc-by-sa-2.0}} )


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#10 2004-10-14 18:22:53

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Total installed Size

dp i realize the use of it but more than likely the users who would most utilize it would be dial up users. knowing how large a package is is very beneficial to them. 

i never get in trouble with what i have installed sizewise that it is a feature of little concern to me.  people with small drives or dial up would most benfit from this. my interest is usually just what is installed not the size.


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#11 2004-10-14 18:28:36

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Re: Total installed Size

sarah31 wrote:

dp i realize the use of it but more than likely the users who would most utilize it would be dial up users. knowing how large a package is is very beneficial to them. 

i never get in trouble with what i have installed sizewise that it is a feature of little concern to me.  people with small drives or dial up would most benfit from this. my interest is usually just what is installed not the size.

just to make sure you know:

Total Package Size:   2.7 MB 

is already implemented in archlinux

sorry, i was not too precise about it:

the future-request:

* add Total Installed Size:   12.4 MB to -Suy -S -U -A actions
* add a new flag to pacman that makes pacman output Total Package Size:   12.4 MB and Total Installed Size:   42.4 MB


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#12 2004-10-14 18:30:05

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Total installed Size

like i said as long as it is an optional feature i don't really care. i voted for it btw wink


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#13 2004-10-14 18:34:16

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Re: Total installed Size

sarah31 wrote:

like i said as long as it is an optional feature i don't really care. i voted for it btw wink

ok, no problem - just wanted to explain better


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#14 2004-10-15 13:37:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,439
Website

Re: Total installed Size

dp wrote:

imagine 3xNon and the order is back

well, "da" still ain't yes in Chinese!

Also, and i really don't want to start a huge deal about this, i don't see how being able to answer questions you don't understand in a positive or negative is useful?

However, "thank you" is normally prompted by a physical action, which is normally easy to understand and therefore respond to.  Likewise body language can usual account for yes and no answers.  Politeness is always important i think.

I totally agree that knowing how to say "I don't understand" is handy!  Doesn't often help in my experience, people will just explain again, normally louder.  Knowing how to say "I can't speak ..." can be handy then.

But as i said, to each his own.  I suppose knowing all four is important - but i disagree that yes and no are two of the most important.  IN FACT - in many languages the words for yes and no are rarely used in conversation AND, also in my experience, unlike European languages, the words for affirmation or negation vary greatly with the context!  In large parts of East Africa affirmation can come from raised eyebrows and little noises!

So, actually, i'm not sure knowing yes and no is important at all in many cases.

But like i said - i don't want to make a big thing of it!  lol

Sorry

Offline

#15 2004-10-15 13:45:51

fuzzy
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2004-09-01
Posts: 13
Website

Re: Total installed Size

I think it would be nice to know.  Almost every installer out there (mainly Windoz) tell you how much space is needed to install the package.  Although I agree with sarah on this one, it would be handy to have.  Would this information be comming before the update (as in before you confirm) or after the fact?


/me lurks

Offline

#16 2004-10-15 13:52:52

LB06
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 435

Re: Total installed Size

Personally, I don't care. It would make pacman a little more polished, however.

Offline

#17 2004-10-15 14:50:14

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,377
Website

Re: Total installed Size

fuzzy wrote:

Would this information be comming before the update (as in before you confirm) or after the fact?

before would be logical ... but a flag should be able to also tell afterwards how much a pkg takes size


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#18 2004-10-15 15:15:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
From: UK
Registered: 2004-08-03
Posts: 4,439
Website

Re: Total installed Size

what about a verbose/quiet flag?

it could be set on the command line and as a default in pacman.conf - you could then use -q -v (or whatever) based on your default prefs - that way Sarah won;t even have to see the total package size stuff

a silent setting for anything other than errors and confirmation would probably make a few people happy to come to think of it!

so, quiet turns off the current size messages and damir's proposed ones, silent would supress even the download progress and installation messages except for errors and user input requirements?

does that sound appropriate?

Offline

#19 2004-10-19 01:15:43

soniX
Member
From: Oslo, Norway
Registered: 2004-01-23
Posts: 161

Re: Total installed Size

I assume there is a way of calculating the original size of the files in a tar.gz ?

Offline

#20 2004-10-19 01:21:58

punkrockguy318
Member
From: New Jersey
Registered: 2004-02-15
Posts: 708
Website

Re: Total installed Size

awesome idea, i hope to see this implemented


If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB