You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-27 20:46:46

BHReach

Changes since last iso image (Jun 2008) and pacman issues?

What is the easiest way to get a list of changes in packages that came on the installation disc?

The reason I want this info is because I am installing Arch on a computer with only dialup Internet connection and would like to download updated packages using another computer then use them to update the installation computer.

I already had 1 aborted attempt, everything was going OK until I upgraded the kernel, then the system would no longer boot. I am sure that with all the removing, upgrading and installing I did, I screwed something up.

I decided to start from scratch again.

I learned that pacman has some limitations (or maybe I have not figured out how to do somethings yet).

1. It appears to have no 'pretend' or 'fake' option so I cannot find out exactly what it is going to do before it does it.

2. If I try to upgrade a package and there are dependency issues, it lists them but it does not automatically upgrade the dependencies even when the updated packages are present, I have to do it manually.

3. It would be nice if pacman gave a complete list of dependencies including sub levels because the way it works now, if is says I need pkg abc>9.6, I get that pkg and try to install it only to find there are more sub-dependencies.

Bill

#2 2009-01-27 20:54:22

rson451
Website

Re: Changes since last iso image (Jun 2008) and pacman issues?

I did this over the weekend actually, because the machine I was installing on needed the latest kernel before it could connect to the internet.  All I did was copy my package cache from one computer that has been updated all along over to the new computer after a normal install and pacman -Su.  If you are installing via -U then you are going to run in to dependency problems.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

Board footer