export LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
export LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
export LC_PAPER="POSIX"
export LC_NAME="POSIX"
export LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
export LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
export LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"

in console [no X11] I get what it seems to correct (locale charmap says utf-8)
in gnome-terminal (when run from GNOME) I get:

$locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_NUMERIC="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_TIME="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_COLLATE="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_MONETARY="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_MESSAGES="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_PAPER="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_NAME="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_ADDRESS="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_TELEPHONE="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
LC_ALL=LC_CTYPE=el_GR.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

$ locale charmap
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
ANSI_X3.4-1968

but when I do in gnome-terminal
$LC_ALL=el_GR.UTF-8
$locale charmap
UTF-8

also gnome-terminal when I'm in OpenBox will imidiatelly say the correct UTF-8

so I'm guessing, that when GNOME is loading, somewhere something makes it gives all the erros and in the end endup in that ANSI map and the locale to "C"

WTF?

#2 2004-11-08 20:00:25

xerxes2
Website

Re: my beloved GNOME f**ks up my locale settings

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=7272

# localedef -ci el_GR -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/en_GR.UTF-8

if you want english in your apps you can set "LANG = 'en_GB'"

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-11-09 09:35:42

zeppelin
Website

well in the link you gave me, i have a link for this post! [just because he said SOLVED but I still had problems]

ok I didn't do
/usr/lib/locale/el_GR.UTF-8
I just did
el_GR.UTF-8

you think that's the problem?

and if yes, why OpenBox doesn't f**k it up?

#4 2004-11-09 12:37:39

bogomipz

zeppelin wrote:

ok I didn't do
/usr/lib/locale/el_GR.UTF-8
I just did
el_GR.UTF-8

you think that's the problem?

and if yes, why OpenBox doesn't f**k it up?

Because Openbox isn't a shitty WM  smile

But seriously, I think your locale is just fine. Gnome seems to set LC_ALL to a very insane value, somehow composed of all the other variables. This has to be a bug with Gnome. (Why it even fiddles with your locale in the first place is beyond me.)

If you can somehow make Gnome unset LC_ALL, the issue should be solved. I have no idea how you would accomplish this, though. I'm not using Gnome, and even if I did, I would probably not know how to set an environment variable in gnome-session's scope. (Setting it in a script that is run by gnome would probably not help, because the setting wouldn't go back into gnome-session's environment, plus this would have to happen before gnome-session spawns any processes, otherwise the setting will not propagate to its children.)

It's possible that Gnome would leave LC_ALL alone if the variable was already set. If you want to try this, however, you'll have to choose between LC_ALL=el_GR.UTF-8 and LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8. This would probably not be your ultimate setup.

Btw, this is my locale settings:

LANGUAGE=POSIX
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_TIME=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=POSIX
LC_PAPER=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_NAME=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=no_NO.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Hope this helps,
-bogo

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#5 2004-11-09 18:25:18

zeppelin
Website

how sure are we, that this is a GNOME bug? and not maybe a misconfiguration from my side [I don't think but maybe] or an ArchLinux's problem [maybe not shippping el_GR?]

well what you say makes sense, what happends doesn't.

I tried a script that will just
'source /etc/profile' once again or export the locales I want and I added this script in gnome to run everytime, via gnome-session-properties

this is an ugly hack, and DID NOT WORK.

It's very unlikely that this is a GNOME problem.
I hope other have it, so it's either ArchLinux's way of building GNOME or bad configs

#6 2004-11-09 20:44:35

bogomipz

Like I tried to explain, it's probably very, very, very hard to change variables in gnome-session's environment. Doing it in a script run from gnome-session won't work because the variables won't propagate back into gnome-session.

I'm 99.99% sure it's LC_ALL that has been tempered with because of the look of the other variables - when LC_ALL has been set, locale will print the other variables with double quotes. Open a gnome-terminal and type the following to find out:

$ LC_ALL=
$ locale

If my theory is correct, you will see the "correct" result like you did on the console.

As of how to fix the problem, I don't think there's much hope of me finding a solution.

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#7 2004-11-09 23:46:36

zeppelin
Website

your theory is correct, looking for a cure though smile

I happen to have RIGHT WIN KEY to start gnome-terminal.
I noticed that if I don't wait for the splash screen to completely load, and press the key requesting the gnome-terminal then that and only that terminal will the locales correctly.

what loads in the in the end of GNOME?

metacity (window manager), nautilus
I 'm not sure wtf is going on, could be AL specific. Does anybody else have same problems?

#8 2004-11-10 01:09:58

xerxes2
Website

does "# locale -a" show el_GR.UTF-8 ?

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#9 2004-11-10 08:14:48

zeppelin
Website

well no in the beginning of the story, so I had to do
sudo localedef -ci el_GR -f UTF-8 el_GR.UTF-8

but now yes it does

$locale -a  | grep el_GR
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
el_GR
el_GR.iso88597
el_GR.utf8

#10 2004-11-15 10:31:18

zeppelin
Website

before I bug report this, I would like if someone could report that he has the same problems as me.
I'm expecting, please test smile

#11 2004-11-18 20:51:57

zeppelin
Website

rm ~/.gnome2 -r
never hurts too much smile [some settings were lost though neutral]

but it works now, I like it

#12 2009-01-27 22:50:18

eWoud

zeppelin wrote:

rm ~/.gnome2 -r
never hurts too much smile [some settings were lost though neutral]

but it works now, I like it

I'm having the same problem, and removing all of gnome's settings does not work, sadly.

With KDE, I simply had the locale setting (nl_BE.UTF-8) set in /etc/rc.conf and I added a script in /etc/profile.d which contained 'export LC_MESSAGES=en_US' to make sure everything's still in English.

But, as zeppelin reported, Gnome overrides LANG with "en_US". UTF-8 still works fine in most appllication (firefox, gedit, ...) but not in gVim, gnome-terminal and probably others.

Last edited by eWoud (2009-01-27 23:08:58)

tea is overrated

Board footer