You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-31 14:15:59

jskier
Website

Help getting sound blaster live! up and running

I'm having trouble getting the drivers up and running. I tried following a few threads on here regarding Alsa and OSD setup and was able to get it going but upon reboot (even though I added all the lines to module.conf and rc.conf as posted) I still have no sound once again. I also find OSD failed saying /dev/dsp isn't a file or directory.

If anyone knows a way to setup sound for this card and wouldn't mind doing it step by step I'd appreciate it, thanks.

JSkier

--
JSkier

#2 2003-07-31 14:31:08

beniro

Re: Help getting sound blaster live! up and running

To start from the beginning...

You have to do add something like this to modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

Then, add the following to rc.local:

modprobe emu10k1

Then, add the following to your devfs.conf:

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660

I hope this works.  I think some of this is in the documentation, which has been updated with the release of v0.5.

#3 2003-07-31 15:48:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

emu10k1 isn't alsa...

snd-emu10k1 is.  If you want that module, you probably also want snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss, they're the oss emulation modules.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-08-01 13:04:50

jskier
Website

Thanks again for the responses. This board is a life saver. Got the sound up and running, just needed to tweak the rc.conf some more.
If anyone else is still having trouble with ALSA and the Live! driver, just 'pacman -S alsa-driver' the ALSA driver and check out the step-by-step documentation here (skip the driver install of course): http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/do … le=emu10k1
It really helped clarify things for a newbie such as myself tongue

JSkier

--
JSkier

Board footer