You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-08 12:05:45

Leye

PekWM as Window-Manager

Hi!

I'm actually a GNOME-user, but I'm starting to create a PekWM-environment because I love the way it looks. Here's what I would like to do:

- I want PekWM to be the WM with tint2 as the panel and trayer for the system tray.
- Nautilus as the file-manager, and I also want it to set the wallpaper.

Yet I have some difficulties with them:

1. When I choose PekWM as the session in GDM, I get a very basic, blue interface in which I only can open PekWM's menu. Okay nothing to be afraid of but all my GNOME-settings are gone, such as the GTK-theme, the look of the mouse arrow, and so on. When I start Nautilus, the GTK-theme used is that ugly greyish one, as if I haven't chosen a theme. The mouse arrow, too, is the default black one, although I'd like to use DMZ in the repository.

If I remember it correctly, you can set some GTK-settings in a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in your home-directory. At present, there isn't such a file in my home, however I think this is the way to set these configuration for PekWM. Aren't there any other ways to configure it? Sadly, I don't know what exactly to write into this file and if I search for it on Google, I only get settings for the gtkrc-2.0.file for GTK-themes. Perhaps some users here can tell me what to do to set those GTK-settings.

2. Another thing, when I start tint2 in PekWM, it looks very fuzzy ... I'm able to use it, click on it, and so on but the graphics are somewhat flawed. This does not happen in GNOME. I wonder if tint2 needs Composite?

3. I've heard that Nautilus is able to draw the wallpaper, so I don't have to use another applications such as feh or something like that. If I set Nautilus in GConf to draw the Desktop, and if I open Nautilus in PekWM, the blue background is replaced by my wallpaper used in GNOME. Stupidly, when I right-click, Nautilus' menu opens instead of PekWM's. Of course this is because Nautilus controls the Desktop. The other way, when I tell Nautilus not to display the desktop, I can open PekWM's menu but the wallpaper isn't displayed if I open Nautilus. I hope you understand what the problem is. What do I have to do to use Nautilus primarily, but still can use PekWM?

4. Is it possible to set GNOME as the session in GDM with PekWM as the WM? I wonder if this might do some things a little bit easier. I still want to use tint2 and trayer, although I've heard a GNOME-session cannot run without the GNOME-panel or something like that ... Never mind, if it isn't possible by default, I want a PekWM-environment with GNOME-apps.

Finally, I'd love to hear from PekWM-users how they set up their environment. Perhaps you may help with some tips.

Sincerely smile

#2 2009-01-08 12:21:05

iBertus

Re: PekWM as Window-Manager

I think you need to run gnome-settings-daemon to get the GNOME settings to work. It sounds to me like you just want to get GNOME working wiht PekWM instead of Metacity. I know some people have managed to get openbox working like this, so I suppose you could google to see how they manage to do it.

i.) The only things you can set in .gtkrc-2.0 are related to fonts, icons and the GTK theme. No GNOME settings are contained there. ii.) I don't think the tint2 graphics issues are due to composite. GNOME doesn't use it [composite] by default, so you'd not have any difference without loading something like xcompmgr or compiz, which "manage" the composited windows. iii.) Also, why do you have to have nautilus manage the desktop? You can get the desktop background set with a number of lightweight utilities.

#3 2009-01-08 20:01:03

bgc1954

Hi,

Ive been using pekwm for a while now and, like you, I like the way it looks.  My preference for a long time was e17 and then I migrated to openbox--like alot of folks around here--but openbox didn't have the "jazz", if you know what I mean.  Coming from e17 I was used to a prettier desktop and openbox didn't do it for me.  Then I found pekwm.  It has all the rounded corner stuff for menus and windows and the themes can use bitmap images for the buttons so you can really jazz up the look, or emulate other operating systems, if you want to.

As I started using pekwm, I also found it to be a tad more responsive on my machines than openbox--maybe an illusion--and the menu syntax was a little easier--can't say I'm a big fan of xml files.

I've never been a huge user of gnome as a desktop environment but I do like some of the gnome apps--epiphany browser, gnomebaker, gnucash, etc. and they have all run well in e17, openbox and pekwm.  I'm not a big gtk theme changer but what's worked for me in the past is gtk-chtheme.

As far as a panel, I've always used pypanel--just got used to it and it serves me well--so I'm not much help for you as far as tint2 and trayer goes.  Like everything else around here, if you don't like something, try something else until you find what works for you. wink

Last edited by bgc1954 (2009-01-08 20:02:25)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#4 2009-01-08 21:59:18

cdwillis

I've just started using PekWM instead of Openbox, this is how I do it

1. Use lxappearance to set the GTK theme and icon set. I manually set the mouse cursor in the ~/.Xdefaults file:
Xcursor.theme: Vanilla-DMZ

2. Tint2 doesn't need compositing, or else I don't think it would even start. I have it listed in my ~/.pekwm/start file, but it doesn't show up (even though it's listed as a running process. My temporary solution is to take it out of my start file and run it manually after Pekwm starts. If it looks funny to you then you should try installing the latest version and see if that clears up.

3. I don't think you can have Nautilus handle the desktop and still get the Pekwm menu, but I know you can do that with pcmanfm. You can also look into iDesk or Rox for drawing the desktop.  Personally I like the look of a blank desktop so I don't mess with it.

4. You can try this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ope … with_GNOME subsituting pekwm for openbox of course

#5 2009-01-08 22:30:50

Sjoden
Website

I believe cdwillis is correct, you can't have gnome manage the desktop and still have the pekwm rightclick menu. A very popular app to manage the background is Nitrogen, you can get it with pacman. Another popular program to use for gtk2 themes is gtk-chtheme, also available with pacman. I personally would use a login manager other than GDM if you aren't going to actually use GNOME, just applications. For example, if you were to use SLiM, or just login to the console on startup and run startx, you'd make a .xinitrc file your home dir which would likely look like this.

nitrogen --restore & #restores previously set background
tint2 & #starts tint2 taskbar, pypanel is also popular
trayer & #starts systray ap, I use stalonetray
exec pekwm

Also, I'd read this.

As for using applications, GNOME or otherwise, you'd just need to add them to your pekwm menu file.

Last edited by Sjoden (2009-01-08 22:34:00)

#6 2009-01-26 18:16:31

Leye

I've finally managed to get my PekWM environment working. smile

Thank you for your help, I'm happy that setting a WM up on my own isn't as difficult anymore.

As I'm currently suiting it to my needs, I wonder if anyone can identify the GTK+-Theme used in the first preview of: http://www.box-look.org/content/show.ph … tent=74000

I like the grey-white-combo and the slickness, if you know other themes that are similiar, I'm desperate about taking a look on them.

Last edited by Leye (2009-01-26 18:16:39)

#7 2009-01-26 22:12:48

ri

imo lyrae/thrynk makes the best themes smile she makes great clean themes and usually with a matching gtk-theme

check it out:
PekWM & GTK themes: http://thrynk.deviantart.com/
PekWM: http://www.box-look.org/usermanager/sea … n=contents
GTK: http://www.gnome-look.org/usermanager/s … n=contents

good luck smile

Last edited by ri (2009-01-26 22:13:23)

#8 2009-01-27 06:45:44

Leye

Thanks ri, for your reply. I'll definately check out her themes!

Another question regarding pekwm: In GNOME, I use the GNOME-Network-Manager to connect to my wireless network. For pekwm, I've added nm-applet to my startup file, but unfortunately, the applet doesn't show up. Do I have to switch to another application or is it possible to use the NM within pekwm?

#9 2009-01-27 11:30:44

moljac024

You need to have a system tray running.
Try stalonetray or trayer.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#10 2009-01-29 11:24:09

Leye

Yeah, I've been using a trayer already, but after you had mentioned it, I checked my start-file again. There was an error in the command, thanks for the tip. smile

My pekwm desktop soon will be finished, thanks for all your help! smile

EDIT
A new question, hope you don't mind. big_smile

Is it possible to make a "border" around the desktop in which pekwm doesn't draw windows and windows cannot be moved in? For instance, the whole desktop is cut by 10px on all sides, though the wallpaper covers everything and the pekwm rightclick-menu is usable in these borders.

Last edited by Leye (2009-01-29 11:27:57)

#11 2009-01-29 12:21:09

u_no_hu

@Leye   In pekwm you can assign actions to screen edges. So there is no need to leave space on the edges in order to click on desktop like you do in openbox. Just assign the action to click at which ever edge you want. See the screenedge section in configs...

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#12 2009-01-29 12:44:56

Leye

I think I didn't explain it correctly, I'm sorry. What I want is an area around the desktop in which windows cannot be moved into, and pekwm doesn't draw the windows in that area. A no-go-area for windows or something like that. smile

#13 2009-01-29 13:00:10

u_no_hu

@Leye ..
I think I didnt explain it correctly wink . Edge size and Edge indent does that......Read the documentation. But why do you need that?

#14 2009-01-29 22:04:49

Leye

Oh I see, I've got it. big_smile

I haven't read the whole documentation yet, just here and there some passages. Still need some time to read the whole thing, I hope you didn't mind. I'm digging in the documentation bit by bit, while I'm getting more familiar with pekwm. smile

The reason why I need those borders: I'm using a notebook which screen is protected by a plastic film (freshly bought). As a consequence, I cannot see what's going on in the screen edges, about 80px in every direction. big_smile

#15 2009-01-31 12:07:47

Leye

I feel like I've set up pekwm the way I like it. Thank you very much for your help! From now on, I'll try to tackle the documentation if I happen to have another problem. However, I hope that I may ask here if there's anything that I cannot solve by myself. smile

#16 2009-01-31 12:19:23

dolby

PekWM is the best non-tiling WM IMO.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#17 2009-01-31 13:55:53

u_no_hu

dolby wrote:

PekWM is the best non-tiling WM IMO.

Who said PekWM is non-tiling?wink

#18 2009-07-22 19:34:01

pibarnas

Linux: Be root. Windows: Re boot.

Board footer