You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-16 15:06:33

m72
Website

Speed up Gnome Splash?

Hello,

My problem is really stupid. I tried many desktop environment and windows managers, and gnome is the best for me. But there is one silly thing. When I'm running Gnome from gdm, there is a black screen, then Splash, and then I wait 3 seconds and then gnome is showing. But when gnome appears he starting gnome-panel, Conky etc. It's too slow for me. On Xfce it looks nice because Splash appears from the beggining of gdm and then you just see a ready Xfce for work. But I don't like this environment too much so I come back to gnome. My question is, how I can make gnome splash to show at the beggining and go away when everything will load?

Sorry for my English and Thanks! wink

#2 2008-10-16 16:39:25

Andy Mack

Re: Speed up Gnome Splash?

You could switch spalsh off altogether.

Goto Configurations Editor/Apps/Gnome Session/Options and untick Show_Splash_Screen.

I dont think it speeds anything up though, to be honest I dont think there is much you can do, unless someone knows otherwise.

Andy

#3 2008-10-16 16:53:00

m72
Website

It's not that what I wanted. I wanted to hide launching of panels, conky etc. Gnome splash appears too late and that what I want to change.

#4 2009-01-30 02:47:13

infohigh

So if I understand, you don't want any of the desktop to display until it's complete? I mean, the gnome-panel should not appear until all of its icons/applications/etc. have finished loading?

I agree this would look much nicer. This is a feature request you should submit to gnome upstream, I think.  Immediately I can think that a major problem would be, what if one of the panel apps has a problem and doesn't start (or takes a long time to start)? Wouldn't you want the rest of the desktop to be useable while that one program wastes time (and you can potentially solve the problem)?

I guess at the simplest, you'd just want a timeout before the panel should appear in its entirety. I'm not sure how feasible this would be or what sorts of problems/annoyances may result.

Board footer