You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-30 06:18:19

deltaecho

KDM persistently restarts upon login

Whenever I try to login to any DE from the KDM login screen, it (KDM) just restarts.  I found a similar post here, but 4.2 is no longer in testing and dbus is running.  I've worked around it temporarily by using an initscript from the Chakra Project's forums to start the console-kit-daemon, but would like a better solution, if possible.

The problem arose after I recompiled my entire system from source (my 1st time!!!), and so far seems to be the only one -- other than networkmanager not working, but I want to learn how to manually configure my wireless connections via i{f,w}config + wpa_supplicant + netcfg anyway.  I've tried recompiling all 3 kdebase packages (kdebase, kdebase-workspace, kdebase-runtime) twice each, but to no avail...

Last edited by deltaecho (2009-01-30 06:24:54)

Dylon

#2 2009-01-30 12:55:31

toad
Website

Re: KDM persistently restarts upon login

For me it was the hal daemon which I had start up in the background and which made it impossible to log in. Baffled me 'cos on my desktop I can background it quite happily...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2009-01-30 20:40:22

chessboxing

Hi, So I am not the only one with this problem...
I opened already a post but no solution for me now. I deleted to kdemod4 en reinstalled it, but no luck. How ?!? It's a clean install??!
Please someone post a solution!!!!

New things emerge when they were forgotten.

#4 2009-01-30 21:25:57

deltaecho

The hal daemon already starts at boot; here is my rc.conf's DAEMONS list:

DAEMONS=(preload syslog-ng acpid hal consolekit @dhcdbd !network @netfs @crond @alsa fam kdm lapsusd @mysqld @samba @cpufreq @sensors)

(dbus is automatically executed when the hal daemon is launched)

I do believe this is somehow related to dbus and/or hal, though, because I've been having issues running some applications for a couple weeks now -- running them from Konsole gives me all kinds of messages about how they cannot connect to the dbus server or that I don't have the correct permissions to run them.

(01/30/2009) Well, part of it seems to have had to do with my ~/.dbus folder ... deleting it fixed the oblong kdm login menu (a detail I excluded earlier), but I still have to have the consolekit daemon running before I can start KDE.

(01/30/2009) Ok, I'm reinstalling everything from Arch's repos now; I'll report back if using Arch's pkg's instead of compiling my own fixes the above issues.

I'm just disappointed this experiment has potentially ended up in failure...

Last edited by deltaecho (2009-01-30 23:05:56)

Dylon

Board footer