You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-15 08:24:34

my64

X crashes ramdomly

Randomly I have  X crashes. X exit (or coredump or whatever) and  back to the command line from where i did the initial "xstart".

It starts since October-November time frame. Most of the time but not every time, it happens when I an browsing under firefox and opening some pdf files, and moving a bit the mouse from firefox to somewhere else.

I tried to reverse back to an an old Xorg version (1.4.x):still problem
I tried to reverse back to old nvidia graphics: still problem
No idea how to solve this, I even don't know what file  to check to get  more details about the error.

There is a bug about X hangs here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=500214, but the symptom is a freeze, not a crash.

My PC has Nvidia nForce chipset, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core, and graphic card is Leadtek WinFast PX8600 GT.

Any idea ?

#2 2009-01-24 16:30:04

karlyzo

Re: X crashes ramdomly

Hi,
I'm running a samsung nc10 with archlinux, everything up to date and I observe very similiar crashes. No freezes, just a black screen. I can then log in via CTRL+ALT+Fx.
Also, if I shut X with CTRL+ALT+Backspace it won't restart, just a black screen again. I'm not sure if I made an error in my configuration or if this is a bug.
Sometimes the screen flickers a few single times before it goes black. Since I'm running firefox most of the time, I could not yet prove that this is no firefox-bug.

#3 2009-01-25 11:54:43

karlyzo

Some more information, since I recently had a crash again:
If I log on a vc after the crash, a "init 5" will only lead back to the black screen, same with an "init 3" followed by "init 5".
"startx" reports that X is already/still running, though.
Hm, where do I find X-logfiles?

Edit:
It seems my problem is different from yours, as it might possibly caused by my video card Intel 945 GME.
in /var/log/Xorg.0.log it says:

(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!

The same error with similar symptoms is reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/262542
I use slim instead of gdm and it doesn't flicker on opening a programm but mostly out of nowhere.

Last edited by karlyzo (2009-01-25 12:11:58)

#4 2009-01-28 07:36:22

peque

I had this problem - But Intel Corp with the drivers claims that this error is fixed in the latest Xorg release - Which I belive is the one running from pakagedatabase. So the solution for this problem I'm also really interested in.
Here's Asus reply for asking them about the problem:

Dear Valued ASUS Customer,

According to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16833 this is a bug that is fixed in the latest versions of Xorg. Update to the latest version of Xorg.

Best Regards,
ASUS Support

Just getting better .... All the time

#5 2009-01-29 14:11:30

karlyzo

In the meantime I've installed xf86-video-intel-newest from AUR which is 7.6.1-2 and the crashes are still there.

In your linked bug-list they refer to Xorg 7.3 and xserver 1.4 while Arch's extra-repo is at 7.4 and 1.5.3
Aren't they applying a patch? But I don't really like to apply some patch that has been written for an old version to a newer one...

#6 2009-01-31 13:21:23

karlyzo

More news: After the upgrade of xf86-video-intel I don't get the pipe underruns anymore. So this is not a bug within the intel driver.
It looks like I don't get the black screen with acpi=off in grub. Furthermore there is no error in Xorg.0.log regarding to any crash. It suppose I get the same error as reported here: http://www.mail-archive.com/acpi-bugzil … 20910.html
only with a little delay. Still quite unsatisfactory as I can't use the nc10 without ACPI, but I also can't afford losing my data twice a day.

Board footer