You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-15 10:50:53

DonVla

howto umount truecrypt5 volumes?

howto umount truecrypt volumes? the new truecrypt with the gui...
when i click dismount i always get

umount: /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1: device is busy
umount: /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1: device is busy

vlad

#2 2008-04-15 11:49:25

chimeric
Website

Re: howto umount truecrypt5 volumes?

You have to make sure that there aren't any files of the encrypted volumes still opened by a application and that you're not accessing the volumes anymore (for example by having a terminal open and your current directory is inside the encrypted volume).

#3 2008-04-15 11:56:41

DonVla

chimeric wrote:

You have to make sure that there aren't any files of the encrypted volumes still opened by a application and that you're not accessing the volumes anymore (for example by having a terminal open and your current directory is inside the encrypted volume).

thanks chimeric,
haha, i know how to umount stuff...
it seems to be a truecrypt issue. it does something in the background that accesses and locks the volume.
and there are actually two "devices" to umount: first /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 and then /media/truecrypt<number>, ehich is the actual filesystem.
when i umount /media/truecrypt<number> as root, then i can umount /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 through the gui without any errors.
any other ideas?

vlad

Last edited by DonVla (2008-04-15 11:58:32)

#4 2008-04-15 12:01:00

chimeric
Website

DonVla wrote:

thanks chimeric,
haha, i know how to umount stuff...

smile

DonVla wrote:

it seems to be a truecrypt issue. it does something in the background that accesses and locks the volume.
and there are actually two "devices" to umount: first /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 and then /media/truecrypt<number>, ehich is the actual filesystem.
when i umount /media/truecrypt<number> as root, then i can umount /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 through the gui without any errors.
any other ideas?

Hmmm I've never used the GUI but it seems you're not the only one who's having trouble with locks then: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47129

#5 2008-04-15 16:00:01

Kane

yeah also have the same problem here

have to umount the directory before truecrypt -d will work

is this a bug specific to arch, or is it a truecrypt bug?

#6 2008-04-21 11:01:18

angrycore

Have the same problem. Have anyone found out how to fix it?

#7 2008-04-30 07:29:28

venky80

did anyone yet have a solution for this? Seems to work perfectly in ubuntu, so do not know for sure if its a truecrypt bug

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#8 2008-04-30 12:44:27

big_gie

No... sad Searching google only shows this thread... So it might be an arch bug.

I've created a bug report:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10320

#9 2008-05-16 19:28:40

titopoquito

big_gie wrote:

No... sad Searching google only shows this thread... So it might be an arch bug.

I have the same problem on Slackware, it's not tied to Arch smile

#10 2008-05-17 07:36:37

daf666
Website

Also, this seems to work for me for now:
1. sudo sync
2. sudo unmount /truecrypt_mount_point
3. sudo truecrypt -d

#11 2008-09-03 21:03:25

saciel

daf666 wrote:

Also, this seems to work for me for now:
1. sudo sync
2. sudo unmount /truecrypt_mount_point
3. sudo truecrypt -d

First, things first: Updating to 6.0a (from the AUR) doesn't resolve the problem... unfortunatelley.

It works for me like that without "sync". However, this is unsatisfactory because I do not want unmounting to require root privileges. Truecrypt works without them (but I'm not sure if this is the default case or if I did set it up this way). Unmounting as a regular user only works if there's an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab with the user(s) argument.
This, unfortunatelly is not possible because I don't know which temporary truecrypt device will be assigned to which mountpoint.

Anyone any good ideas for a workaround that allows to mount and unmount truecrypt devices without root privileges? The problem is that the truecrypt device is on a machine which I only access via SSH and I do not want to allow root login there.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#12 2009-01-31 18:07:18

switch86

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm hitting the same problem with Truecrypt 6.1a. Anybody find a fix, even if it's dirty and/or a lazy hack?

1) Trying umount of the dir first doesn't work (kicks out the warning about it being in use); If I do a lazy umount (umount /media/truecrypt1 -l), I still can't unmount it with truecrypt -d.
2) sudo truecrypt -d doesn't work
3) attempting to force the dismount doesn't work either (sudo truecrypt -d -f)

The Truecrypt volume is a 30GB regular (non-hidden) volume with FAT32 as the filesystem. It's residing on an NFS share on another box.

lsof doesn't show anything active on it, and I have no shells that are currently accessing the volume.

#13 2009-01-31 18:30:36

DonVla

still no fix here.
workaround (as stated earlier):

...and there are actually two "devices" to umount: first /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 and then /media/truecrypt<number>, ehich is the actual filesystem.

tc is crap. though useful crap...

#14 2009-02-01 05:40:16

switch86

DonVla wrote:

still no fix here.
workaround (as stated earlier):

...and there are actually two "devices" to umount: first /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 and then /media/truecrypt<number>, ehich is the actual filesystem.

tc is crap. though useful crap...

Hmm. I tried that workaround too. No dice. Eventually I decided to try a full logout from my normal user account.

Oddly, when I logged back in, my desktop environment was shot in a very weird way (XFCE). My "background" consisted of mashed together elements from the last few hours of use, including pieces of my FF theme, old snapshots of terminal emulators I had had open earlier, and general a mash up of odd graphical remnants where my background should have been. (Hard to explain. Should have grabbed a screenshot.)

I rebooted. That fixed the issue with my desktop going FUBAR, but naturally I had to force a hard reboot (reset switch) because the Truecrypt volume couldn't be unmounted, so the poweroff process hung indefinitely. Naturally, the Truecrypt volume was hosed (couldn't mount it from any of my machines).

Ah, well. That's what backups are for.

#15 2009-02-01 13:55:25

DonVla

that's odd.
but i don't think that's (only) truecrypt related...

Last edited by DonVla (2009-02-01 13:57:21)

#16 2009-02-01 14:11:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Make sure that you're not still in the directory when you try to unmount it. That includes leaving a command line cd'd into it and any file managers or whatever that might still have a handle on it. I used to get 'in use" errors all the time until I started paying attention to this. Now it works like a charm here anyway.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#17 2009-02-01 15:41:54

switch86

DonVla wrote:

that's odd.
but i don't think that's (only) truecrypt related...

Yes, it would seem that xfce4 getting messed up wouldn't be a Truecrypt-related issue. In fact, I can't think of any reason why Truecrypt would have messed up my desktop environment.

Still, on reboot, the problem wasn't there anymore and I haven't had it since. It only happened when I was having issues dismounting the tc volume.

Xyne wrote:

Make sure that you're not still in the directory when you try to unmount it. That includes leaving a command line cd'd into it and any file managers or whatever that might still have a handle on it. I used to get 'in use" errors all the time until I started paying attention to this. Now it works like a charm here anyway.

I know. I've run into that enough times that my PWD is the first thing I check these days when I can't unmount. smile As mentioned, I had completely logged out. I'm reasonably certain nothing was accessing the volume (I logged out and checked lsof).

Last edited by switch86 (2009-02-01 15:45:00)

Board footer