You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 18:25:42

czechman86
Website

2 Gnome Problems

1. I have a fair amount of files that are named with Cyrillic fonts and they are displayed as ?????. I cannot seem to find the proper language pack to download to display the fonts properely. If someone could direct me to that, that would be great!

2. The weather will not display on my panel. There is space created when I check the option to display the weather, but nothing appears. I have added my home city and everything to the clock, but no luck. I imagine again that I am missing a small but all too necessary package. Again, any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Мой адрес не дом и не улица Мой адрес Советский Союз

#2 2009-02-01 20:33:14

TheBodziO
Website

Re: 2 Gnome Problems

Ad. 1. Are you speaking about misdisplayed glyphs in console or in x (also in which apps this problem occurs)? Anyway first that comes to my mind is:
a) locale with encoding that omits cyrylic glyphs (what's yours locale?),
b) font that doesn't have cyrylic glyphs,
c) filesystem mounted with wrong name encoding translation set.
With above properly set you should be able to see all names as expected. I think it's misconfiguration problem.

Ad. 2. Try to run applet from terminal emulator (applet should be something like "gnome-weather-applet" as far as I can remember) maybe it'll spit out some meaningfull info.

PS. Stylish sig wink

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#3 2009-02-01 22:07:57

czechman86
Website

TheBodziO wrote:

Ad. 1. Are you speaking about misdisplayed glyphs in console or in x (also in which apps this problem occurs)? Anyway first that comes to my mind is:
a) locale with encoding that omits cyrylic glyphs (what's yours locale?),
b) font that doesn't have cyrylic glyphs,
c) filesystem mounted with wrong name encoding translation set.
With above properly set you should be able to see all names as expected. I think it's misconfiguration problem.

Ad. 2. Try to run applet from terminal emulator (applet should be something like "gnome-weather-applet" as far as I can remember) maybe it'll spit out some meaningfull info.

PS. Stylish sig wink

I completely agree. I find it also to be a configuration problem. I tried enabling all the Russian encodings in the locale.gen and that didnt do any good. Im using the sans font, which Im pretty sure supports the Cyrillics. I'd be willing to bet that the problem lies within C. Is there anyway to mount them properly? I tried, after enabling all the RU locale settings with the locale.gen to remount my external and see if the files would appear with the proper name, no such luck however, they are still ?????. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks

PS - Got number 2 solved!

EDIT - Im also using the EN-US locale and thanks my Polish friend wink

Last edited by czechman86 (2009-02-01 22:08:41)

Мой адрес не дом и не улица Мой адрес Советский Союз

#4 2009-02-02 00:58:32

TheBodziO
Website

Just enabling locale in locale.gen is insufficient. This will only mark locale to be generated once locale-gen app is run. After running "locale-gen" as root you'll get all locales listed in locale.gen prepared to be selected by "locale".

Are you using plain "en_US" locale or the one with utf8 encoding enabled? If it's default then you should switch to "en_US.utf8" (you may need to generate it).

You've said external, so I presume that it's vfat. If so and if glyphs are properly displayed when typing and in text files, then I would said that you should try to use "utf8" options when mounting.

If this'll fail and e.g. cyrillic texts are displayed correctly then maybe you should attempt to reencode your file names with "convmv". But I would treat it as a "last resort" solution since I assume that this files are properly utilized in other operating systems, making tinkering with names encoding inconvenient.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

Board footer