You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-29 19:01:42

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: NVIDIA+KDE4.2: progress report?

I've now been running KDE4.2 with NVIDIA 180.25 for two days and 180.27 for about eight hours, and everything seems to be sailing along fine. I had almost forgotten that KDE could be enjoyable to use.

As someone else said, this feels more like 4.5 than 4.2 -- that's the degree of improvement from 4.1.

For integrity's sake, I should say that I was pretty enthusiastic about the initial releases of KDE4.x, as well, but that went away quickly after I got sick of putting up with all kinds of screen weirdness, some no doubt due to NVIDIA drivers but some definitely due to problems with KDE.

Now both NVIDIA and KDE seem to have hit their stride, and at the same time.

So far, anyway.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#27 2009-01-29 19:21:19

toxygen

how much do you use dolphin? in kdemod3 i use konqueror for file management, and with the kioslaves it's really useful.  everytime i've tried dolphin it leaves me frustrated.  is it possible to use konqueror for file management?  I havent tried the new 4.2, but I know i'll eventually have to upgrade, so is it worth it?
I mainly use konqueror, kontact/kmail, and amarok, and so far I haven't heard good things in regard to these apps, so I've been holding back on upgrading.
And the nvidia woes are another reason I've held back.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#28 2009-01-29 19:49:36

lucke

Dolphin is actually pretty nice, it supports kio-slaves not related to web-browsing. Konqueror in KDE4 is basically as good as KDE3's in regards to file management (you can use it instead of Dolphin), but browsing has its regressions. KMail is pretty much the same as in KDE3, with some added features. Amarok2 is actually pretty nice, the only thing that annoys me in it is 100MB non-shared memory usage.

I'm pretty much in love with KDE 4.2. The future is very bright. One great feature, although not quite polished, is having different desktops for different tasks.

#29 2009-01-29 20:58:37

n8schicht
Website

Wow, 180.27 is finally working for me, after the desasterous 180.22. Now I'm completely satisfied.
Oh, and KDE 4.2 rocks, by the way  wink

#30 2009-01-30 00:51:22

tim

toxygen wrote:

how much do you use dolphin? in kdemod3 i use konqueror for file management, and with the kioslaves it's really useful.  everytime i've tried dolphin it leaves me frustrated.  is it possible to use konqueror for file management?  I havent tried the new 4.2, but I know i'll eventually have to upgrade, so is it worth it?
I mainly use konqueror, kontact/kmail, and amarok, and so far I haven't heard good things in regard to these apps, so I've been holding back on upgrading.
And the nvidia woes are another reason I've held back.

Yes you can use konqueror as the file manager:
System Settings -> (General Tab) Default Applications -> File Manager (select konqueror)

kontact/kmail for me is the best they have ever been. As far as I'm concerned kmail is 1 point off being perfect. Everything works and it works very fast and very smoothly. No crashes etc. The one thing I still can't underestand why they don't change is the fact that kmail will open full screen on start up if you have it living in the system tray. This annoys the hell out of me. I have an icon to tell me if I have mail. I don't need to see it full screen the first thing when I log on.

I can't stand amarok so I couldn't tell you how/or if it is working.

Last edited by tim (2009-01-30 01:21:18)

#31 2009-02-02 13:46:44

FrozenFox
Website

If you look in the readme file in ./README/Readme.txt, it tells you what the pkg0-1-etc stuff is:

"The package suffix ('-pkg#') is used to distinguish between packages
containing the same driver, but with different precompiled kernel interfaces.
The file with the highest package number is suitable for most installations."

-- ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.27/

#32 2009-02-02 13:49:56

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

FrozenFox wrote:

If you look in the readme file in ./README/Readme.txt, it tells you what the pkg0-1-etc stuff is

Just because the file is named "Readme.txt" and is in a directory called README, how are we supposed to know that we should read it? Hmm? hmm

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#33 2009-02-02 14:23:26

tim

FrozenFox wrote:

If you look in the readme file in ./README/Readme.txt, it tells you what the pkg0-1-etc stuff is ...

lol That README sure is a good read.

From the README:

Q. What is the significance of the 'pkg#' suffix on the '.run' file?

A. The 'pkg#' suffix is used to distinguish between '.run' files containing
   the same driver, but different sets of precompiled kernel interfaces. If a
   distribution releases a new kernel after an NVIDIA driver is released, the
   current NVIDIA driver can be repackaged to include a precompiled kernel
   interface for that newer kernel (in addition to all the precompiled kernel
   interfaces that were included in the previous package of the driver).

'.run' files with the same version number, but different pkg numbers, only
   differ in what precompiled kernel interfaces are included. Additionally,
   '.run' files with higher pkg numbers will contain everything the '.run'
   files with lower pkg numbers contain

While very interesting, this is completely uninformative as I have absolutely no way of determining beforehand which if any of the different pkg's contains a pre-compiled kernel interface that will work for me. I have to download one and try it and find out if it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then it will simply download some stuff from nvidia and compile one specific to my installation, which would have happened regardless of which one I used if there was no pre-compiled kernel interface that worked. In my case I've tried #2 (the largest file) and it still had to download and custom compile.

I think the moral of the story here is, download the smallest one cos it's going to have to download some extra stuff and custom compile anyway.

#34 2009-02-02 14:48:41

arch_nemesis

So, any ideas how long it's likely to take before .27 makes it to the repos? 

I ask not out of impatience, but out of a desire to preserve the "everything I have installed came from the repos" status of my machine.  I have had some trouble with 4.2, but I don't know for sure that this is due to my 180.22 driver or not -- so if 180.27 is likely to show up within a few days, I'll probably just wait it out.

Thanks!

#35 2009-02-02 15:27:10

lucke

.27 is not a stable release, so it won't hit the repos.

#36 2009-02-02 15:52:52

Ranguvar

nvidia-beta in the AUR has 180.27.

Board footer