You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-16 17:57:35

Ferhiord

LibGL install problem

I want to install LibGL (Mesa DRI OpenGL library and drivers), but pacman writes this:

# pacman -S libgl
resolving dependencies... done.
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: libgl conflicts with nvidia-utils. Remove nvidia-utils? [Y/n] y
done.
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia-utils requires glitz
:: nvidia-utils requires mesa
:: nvidia-utils requires mplayer
:: nvidia-utils requires nvidia
:: nvidia-utils requires xine-lib

Why does it conflict with libgl? Why does mplayer or xine need nvidia-utils? How can I install LibGL?

Sorry, if my English is not very well.

#2 2007-11-16 18:10:11

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: LibGL install problem

pacman -Rd nvidia-utils
pacman -S libgl

Also note that if you want to use libgl, you have to use the OSS nvidia driver as well.  The reason libgl and nvidia-utils conflict is that they both provide libGL.so - nvidia-utils works with the nvidia kernel module, while libgl works with the xf86-video-* drivers.

Those apps depend on 'libgl' and nvidia-utils provides 'libgl' so they depend on nvidia-utils on your system

#3 2009-02-03 09:00:00

Caliburn

Re: LibGL install problem

I know, I know - it's an old thread, but I thought I'd offer thanks here anyway. I've just had this issue with the 2009.01 beta installed - the first time I've ever had this issue using Arch - and ultimately I needed some help to get the job done. Thanks to the original poster Ferhiord and the reply by Cerebral, I was able to get libgl in a manageable condition.

I'm not blaming the beta ISO, but I will say this is the first time this occured for me using an Nvidia card and in my tenure using Arch. Still, thanks guys.

Board footer