You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 17:10:25

kensai
Website

The status of the Arch Linux Newsletter

Well...

Many of you guys deserve to know the status of the Arch Linux Newsletter, which has been absent since November 2008. First and foremost, it hasn't been my intention to delay it that much. As many of you know, I have always done my best to get the newsletter out on time, even if it meant sacrificing some real life time. Now, the situation is harder, almost full time job as Network Administrator, full time University studies, and some personal life preparations. This has left me almost with no time to dedicate to Arch.

No, I won't retire, I will keep on, I just will pass the cup, Ronald van Haren will become the newsletter author from now on. He has been helping me to get the latest issues out as well, and I trust him to do a good job. This will benefit the newsletter in great ways. Now Ronald and I will be working side by side on the newsletter, I just will reduce the time I spend on it, but will still be the editor of the newsletter. His ideas will be implemented and mine as well, so hopefully the newsletter will become even better and better with each release.

The newsletter for February is in the making, but will be delayed a bit, maybe by 2 weeks. But it is progressing to a good release material shape.

Now, I want to address a situation that came to my attention from the IRC channel. As you may know, many people report to me what is happening around in the community. Now, I won't address the specific nicknames of  the people involved, but it hurts when they are talking without knowing what the personal situation of the person is.

Claim #1, The newsletter is made by a developer whose sole purpose is to make the newsletter.
More or less true, but I have been maintaining some packages as well, one of them wine, which I have released religiously on the day a new version is out. And I was brought to the team when I started fixing bugs for jre, jdk and other packages. But the newsletter is the one that has taken me the most time.

Claim #2, Kensai has been flaunting his title as Newsletter Author too much.
More or less true, but why is that so? Because I feel proud of what I'm doing, you know, this is not an easy job, I have had thought of quitting, you know what has kept me going for so long? When I receive an email from an user saying he enjoyed the latest issue, and when I receive help from the users. Those are the times that make me flaunt the newsletter author title everywhere.

Claim #3, I was banned once, or even kicked from IRC.
False, I have never been banned, did I have problems in the community? But of course, who doesn't? A long time ago when pacman was stuck on version 2 and another distro had already finished pacman 3, but ours was still stuck in development, I went too offensive on the devs, that was around 2005, I was still new to Linux, having started in 2004. So I didn't understood much about development, now I do. One topic was closed because of me, but it was because Beranger attacked me personally in his blog, calling me an idiot, for making the obvious thing know, that he is a n00b. Sorry, don't close this one. big_smile

I have never been kicked out of IRC because I deserved it. I was once kicked because a funny moderator wanted to get known in the newsletter. We all know that some IRC moderators are... you know kind of mentally ill.

Now, all in all. I let it all out. I wish all of you understand what my situation is like.

Thanks

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#2 2009-02-02 17:23:58

rostoQ

Re: The status of the Arch Linux Newsletter

Thank you for sharing this with us, i think everyone can understand you, because everyone once was in a situation like you are.
I was/am always looking forward to the next newsletter - if there is one, its great, but if there isn't i dont blame anyone. Its luxus and and thus alienable. Anyway, since you even secured the existence of this project, you did everything right.
Its sad if people start bitchtalk but who cares about those.

#3 2009-02-02 17:33:13

rson451
Website

Kensai, don't feel you have to defend yourself -- you are a volunteer, right?  We realize that there's a lot of work that goes in to the newsletter.  IRC is just silly shit too, don't let that bother you.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2009-02-02 17:41:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'd like to support Kensai's statements. I didn't realize there were attacks going on, but I hope my backing will shut up the naysayers.

kensai wrote:

Claim #1, The newsletter is made by a developer whose sole purpose is to make the newsletter.

The newsletter has always been written by community members, not developers. The three of us most actively contributing to the newsletter have all been given developer status for reasons completely unrelated to the newsletter -- myself for django development, Kensai for the wine package no developer would touch, and Ronald for general package management. All three of us have had reduced time to contribute to the newsletter due to these duties and due to other 'real life' interference.

No user from the community has stepped up to help us out.

kensai wrote:

Claim #2, Kensai has been flaunting his title as Newsletter Author too much.

Kensai is from Puerto Rico. He is culturally an excitable and volatile individual who is easily angered, easily appeased, and very exuberant about his title and his work. I can say with affection that I find this excitability to be a bit annoying, but its also probably the one thing that kept him on this project longer than any of the previous failed newsletter authors.

In short, its a cultural and language based thing. I can see that it can sometimes sound like Eduardo is lording his status over people because he does mention it often. But I've worked with him as my 'superior' on this newsletter for quite a while and I've never felt he thinks he's better than me. He never says "Hey, I'm the newsletter author around here, do what I say or else" (unless he's joking.... ;-) )

But face it. Eduardo's the only person who's been able to keep the newsletter going for more than two or three issues. I think he deserves more respect than he's asking for.

kensai wrote:

Claim #3, I was banned once, or even kicked from IRC.

I sent the fool to the troll bin once, a long time ago. I know nothing about IRC shenanigans, and with good reason, so I can't comment otherwise, but I can say that Eduardo has matured a lot as a Arch user (as we all have), and I doubt he's done anything recently that was so offensive he got banned anywhere.

Kensai is a classic example of the Arch philosophy of action over talk. Lots of people have said we needed a newsletter, Kensai created one and stuck it out. I think that's about as much as needs to be said. I don't know who's talking nasty about him, but I am 99% certain not one of them has bothered to do anything for Arch. I know the type, and quite frankly, they aren't worth the trouble Kensai went to to start this thread.

Dusty

#5 2009-02-02 19:19:29

dunc

Dusty wrote:

But face it. Eduardo's the only person who's been able to keep the newsletter going for more than two or three issues. I think he deserves more respect than he's asking for.

Absolutely. I'm involved with a newsletter for something else and believe me, it's harder than it looks.

0 Ok, 0:1

#6 2009-02-02 19:29:30

shining
Pacman Developer

Dusty wrote:

Kensai is a classic example of the Arch philosophy of action over talk. Lots of people have said we needed a newsletter, Kensai created one and stuck it out. I think that's about as much as needs to be said. I don't know who's talking nasty about him, but I am 99% certain not one of them has bothered to do anything for Arch. I know the type, and quite frankly, they aren't worth the trouble Kensai went to to start this thread.

+1, go go kensai! smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2009-02-02 20:11:23

BabyDoc

Thanks for the heads up Kensai. I've always enjoyed reading the newsletter and appreciate the time and effort you, and others, put in it. Good to hear it ain't death.
There's barely a need to defend yourself like this imo, you've probably done more for Arch and its community then those talking behind your back.

#8 2009-02-02 20:53:31

haxit
Website

shining wrote:
Dusty wrote:

+1, go go kensai! smile

Totally agreed. Kensai ftw!

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#9 2009-02-02 22:11:08

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Looking forward to the newsletter.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#10 2009-02-02 23:51:41

koch

shining wrote:
Dusty wrote:

+1, go go kensai! smile

one more here!

#11 2009-02-03 00:20:26

pressh
Developer/TU

Don't worry about the people who attack you Eduardo. If they were serious they would have offered help, but they didn't. You did a great job on the newsletter all those months, and you still do, despite your time is more limited now (of course same goes for all other people who contribute).
The newsletter is ready when it is ready, just with all good things in life (especially when they are free). It's just that easy!

#12 2009-02-03 00:25:07

xaiviax

yet another +1 for kensai here  smile

#13 2009-02-03 00:44:47

Allan
Pacman
Website

I will add a "boo Kensai, you suck" just to get some balance in this conversation!  big_smile

#14 2009-02-03 04:23:32

kensai
Website

Why I was expecting it from Allan? big_smile

Thanks guys, all of you have raised my mood a lot. I now feel like I should finish the newsletter and get it out as soon as possible. No matter how many accounting problems I have to solve for the next class. tongue

Well, I will continue to flaunt my title, since now I will be the Editor in Chief. big_smile

Now pressh (Ronald van Haren) will flaunt the Newsletter Author title. And Dusty will be, the All around the newsletter contributor. HAH.

You know, Dusty described me well, and that is the same my finacee say, I am very easy to anger and yet I can get calm easily as well. As I often realize I should not get anger that easily.

LOL, remembering I even have the log to the IRC conversation. But I won't post them. if the guy that bring them to my attention wants too that is his decision.

Let's all make a Newsletter release party!!! Sorry, I'm sleepy. Enough with the random gibberish. Good night.

#15 2009-02-03 12:14:57

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

kensai wrote:

Let's all make a Newsletter release party!!! Sorry, I'm sleepy. Enough with the random gibberish. Good night.

Let's make it a contest ! newsletter writers vs release engineering.
Your last release was november, ours june.  But we will win now!

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#16 2009-02-03 12:25:12

kensai
Website

Dieter@be wrote:
kensai wrote:

Let's make it a contest ! newsletter writers vs release engineering.
Your last release was november, ours june.  But we will win now!

Hah, you are so on for the challenge. cool You are going to get pwned.

#17 2009-02-03 14:47:39

ST.x
Website

Much <3 for Kensai!

#18 2009-02-03 15:17:46

u_no_hu

kensai wrote:

Well, I will continue to flaunt my title, since now I will be the Editor in Chief. big_smile

Now pressh (Ronald van Haren) will flaunt the Newsletter Author title. And Dusty will be, the All around the newsletter contributor. HAH.

tongue Being official is so boring...freelancing is where the fun is big_smile

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#19 2009-02-03 16:00:47

Ranguvar

Flaunt away, kensai - you've done a great job so far, and the newsletter is full of stuff to kill time with big_smile
(Though I may be biased, since one of my threads was mentioned in the last newsletter tongue)

#20 2009-02-03 17:26:42

kjon

Errr.... where do I download wine from? big_smile. I though it was over here smile

Mucha suerte con la 'real life' y el cuento de la 'newsletter'. Te escribo en un tono algo más hispano para que sepas que cuentas con el apoyo de un grupo de nosotros también. Excelente trabajo.

P.S. Pleeze ms. forum moderator (I'm looking at you!... yeah you, the katana guy!). Would you mind to not erase this post? I just wanted to greet kensai in spanish... that's all ^__^

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#21 2009-02-09 02:05:43

kensai
Website

And I leave you with the unofficial Arch Linux Newsletter for February. http://ghost1227.com/february-2009-newsletter.html That might be enough to calm all of you down, until my procrastination ends, yeah right, I'm just too busy. big_smile

Thanks, Ghost1227 for this. You have just proven you should be a member of the newsletter team, you are hired. cool

Last edited by kensai (2009-02-09 02:06:16)

Board footer