You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 19:18:40

yvonney

[SOLVED] DWM running with gnome difficulties - cracked leaving GNOME!

UPDATE: concept as a perceived requirement has been scrubed. No longer needing Gnome's environment ... just some gtk/gnome libraries here and there though, obviously. See last post of mine here if ya like and you're rushed a bit.

Having problems getting gnome to live with DWM though I can compile myself as i just learned how from the wiki.

OBJECTIVE: retain at least the bottom menu bar of gnome (and program access) for a while yet ....  while using DWM.
----

Hi... having the most amazing time with Xmonad, awesome, stumpwm, dmenu etc.

At this point I've realized that Xmonad and DWM have basically the same keybinding.

For how it work WELL, as it's an originator, and keeping it simple ummm.... was it 18k or 180k?  hehehe  (see other posts about dwm) I'm going to go with dwm for the forseeable future. they're all great though having done the studying it's really a simple decision.... If I wanted to swap to something else later I'd have the skill to know how simple that would be... dwm does cover ALL of what I sensibly need to work quickly and SIMPLY/manageably...

DUE TO UPDATE COMMENT AT TOP  - SOME OF THE NEXT COUPLE OF POST IS REDUNDANT a BIT though maybe not:

So... I'm wishing to be able to access my folders and programs through the gnome menu as a fail-safe until I figure out how to get around any gottcha before I reinstall WITHOUT gnome (just some of the libraries obviously for packages that need them)

I really need to get going immediately with DWM and having had lots of fun with Xmonad (works easily with gnome though i like the simplicity of default DWM) ...

ALL I really need is what I now have left of gnome's desktop visibility which is the bottom bar with a menu applet embeded in it...

Actually.... IF there's a way to GRAPHICALLY see folders ie. boot programs without having to find the binary though would be cool.

Gnome can do it's thing in the background.... though right now ALL I can get by adding DWM WITH metacity in the gnome sessions properties leaves me WITHOUT the bootom bar that gets me to my programs...

yep, duh.

any assistance apreciated as I can't stand working without dwm (or similar tiling wm) though I'm too new at it and generally not skilled enough at this move to get to my program's ICONS...  using dmenu for all booting just isn't practical for me today..  then again who knows what the next hour will bring! hehehe

So..... ANYONE have DWM code that'll work??? .... I think I'd prefer it to be stock otherwise...

whatver happens thanks and everything's so cool.... have learned SO much....

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-03 09:44:22)

#2 2009-02-02 19:36:32

yvonney

Re: [SOLVED] DWM running with gnome difficulties - cracked leaving GNOME!

UPDATE: happy that >> I've just compiled and reinstalled DWM based on what I found HERE:

http://www.holymonkey.com/dwmwithgnomeguide

Could be any number of things though I'm not getting things going yet.
I've been doing a crazy amount of things with various WM's since yesterday.

Right now after doing ALL of what's in the above guide ... turning off gnome destop etc. rebuilding DWM with stuff given in guide..

I restart X and if I have added DWM to the gnome sesssion prefs along with metacity I get just dwm/dmenu and no gnome bottom bar ... So, I turn DWM off in gnome session prefs and I get back to gnome... without the stuff I've turned off with gnomeconf like the desktop...  this is what I've done and then there's the extra stuff recompiled into dwm that I also did... though could it be the my .gnomerc isn't being used...

AND do I still keep exec gnome-session on my .xinitrc   which is in /etc/X11/xinit and NOT my /root folder ... though I guess the root folder (I run as root) would just override ...?

Anyways... here's the stuff I did first in the guide..

-----------------  HAD to change it to gconftool2 and a bit else as I recall -----------
Set a window manager in your .gnomerc file

Edit the file ~/.gnomerc and add the following line:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=dwm
Turn off Nautilus desktop management

Enter the following into a console to tell Nautilus not to manage your desktop:

gconftool --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false

----------------------

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-02 19:46:37)

#3 2009-02-02 22:00:42

leo2501

When i wanted to have one or two apps that used tray icons (wicd) i used to run "xfce4-panel" that gave me only the panel wherever i wanted it, that way, i could personalize the panel and add the "start button" that you want to have, maybe you can do that with gnome-panel, but i can't understand why you want a panel when you can run apps with dmenu for example, or add keybindings, and have a full status bar with even conky-cli output on it

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 2009-02-03 00:10:45

yvonney

Thank you leo ... that is interesting, choosing that panel for your specific usage back then. And full status bar I will look into... I love conky though there much to know.  I'm just tying up a lot of stuff I know though have'nt put it all together yet so that's very helpful. 'm learning about file associations now.

It is cool that I have not been able to use gnome for the past few hours and have used DWM and DMENU only. It has aloowed me to realize that I am definiately ready for dwm... I was not skilled enough when I used openbox et al on a test machine 6 months ago. [tried a ton of the usual preferred packages]

I am now creating a list of... 'oh, how do I do that, and, what's the best way to do this' LIST... yet I am so far past my beginner stage it is only because there are areas I know little about still, though want to know all, that i'm having a big learning curve today/yesterday. Just as easy to use 'not the rightest package' unless aware and studied.

I DO need to quickly get running again with 'best practices' being paramount, on just basic stuff...
Though I was thinking of posting a thread like:  "going from gnome to wm : gottchas and tips"

There will of course be lots of info here and on the wiki..

all of the following will be partly wrong, misguided, and have a great and obvious solution. I'm geeky to have the best dwm experience .... so....

[answers/comments not needed as I expect you're busy - yet this is my 1st draft, partial scratch pad I guess ... hehehe]
So...! :--)
Like:

1) I need to know the best way to be aware of what's on the machine as I won't have icons or pull down menus. I guess I need to manually EDIT the dmenu list of programs it knows about..... And can dmenu open folders...  uhhh...

2) When using rox-filer or pcmanfm the files weren't associated with the prefered launch program and right clicking on their data file icon revealed nothing in the content menu for associating.

3) There is no viewable 'desktop' when using a wm like my dwm/dmenu boot as I understand it... ? Of course there's access to the folder called desktop. I'll have to look into what I might not have guessed on this possible fact. Like, is it possible/desireable to 'show desktop' with a wm? I don't think so.... kinda not part of the concept/workings of i think. dunno.

4) The whole gtk2 programs look thing when not using metacity etc..... I'll figure this one out though never really have nor did get programs to look any good. I certainly will need many of the gnome and qt libraries for programs. just wondering if as a dwm user you get gtk2 programs looking ok... not that I really care though I'm sure it's possible. I know about putting the 'tango' line etc. in the .gtkrc-2.o file....

5) and onward:    what's gonna not work right, and what are the gottcha for removing the supposedly 'helpful' bit of gnome.... just posing that question to myself again here as it's really part of becoming a bit expert...  I mean, with only a file management syste

I know there will be very cool way to address these thing and the one's I've yet to write about...

AND ....!!!! There's no need to address the above really. I was planning to write a new thread and after a think and a look may well do. I tried what I could of the files you posted here and I've had some results so far....

I certainly have come to a very nice spot in my arch learning and look forward to what's next.. .thanks for reading.... and really.... no reply necessary at all....I enjoyed my drafting here.....

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-03 00:22:49)

#5 2009-02-03 01:49:09

yvonney

Happy with what I've implimented. Am now getting comfortable.
Have basic associations understood including .exe for any wine apps which became a necessity some time ago though hoping to not on my next full install.

Got dmenu happy with me....

and the surprizingly silly me aspects of gtk2 apps looking nice now..

pretty happy and will figure out the deeper stuff soon I hope....
nice to get what's needed through help here on the forums and the wiki

can't detail much as it's me thinking and reading.... so best wishes to everyone..

The next big level will be to see what hpapens with the many many packages I like in a lot of areas and how they may be impacted without gnome.... cool!

That will be on a fresh install after I much about with this one for a few more weeks I bet.
new ISO soon too... that kernel's .28 is getting a lot of attention this month I think!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-03 05:58:10)

#6 2009-02-03 09:19:19

yvonney

DONE...... gnome GONE.... gotta love those problems that get you there....

ABSOLUTELY loving DWM ... and the 'for elitists' off-putting fact of  having to compile C binary or whatever.... what a joke.... the compile thing is about the easiest move I've ever done.... following method 2 (recommended) on the wiki for DWM... creates the folder for ya...as EXACTLY per the short wiki guide... then go to the folder just created in terminal open and delete what's between the md5 paraentiseseseseses (see wiki for file name)   and run one line (make efi   i think)  in terminal which creates the new file AND installs it... uhhh.... ooooo   scary.

GNOME GONE GNOME GONE..... I mean gnome's really just fine... thing is all I got was a desktop space which isn't really even there and a ton of applets and widgets, menus all over the place (so to speak) and blah blah blah... I tried to get to this point about 5 months ago with the boxes and went back to gnome... this time I'm there kinda and understanding enough to live my inner-geek minimalism thing. The tiling thing is just about 5 commands I keep using that within a couple of hours seem second nature...

FOR SURE I could NEVER go back. and hey, I've noticed there's a smiliarity, or in my test cases an essentially identical set between key commands in Xmonad and DWM (I'm actually using Xmonad's key command cheat sheet as a background desktop pix ...) Also the same I'd guess/think in some of the top 5 or so TILING window managers....

I've been babblingly over-tired today so I shoud get back to myself I think ....

BEST wishes to everyone....!
and um.... hug a text file today...
ok, sleepy time soon.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-03 17:07:57)

#7 2009-02-03 09:44:03

leo2501

well as i remember, my own path was something like this...

Windozes -> PCLinuxOS -> (K-X)Ubuntu -> Arch(XFCE4(desktop environment)) -> Arch(Fluxbox(no DE)) -> Arch(wmii+gnu/screen) -> Arch(dwm+gnu/screen)

not talking about GNU/screen its like not talking about breathing to me right now tongue at the beggining (like all i pass throught in GNU/linux) i can barely understand something "as complex" to understand like screen, but using it, showed me that EVERYTHING is a matter of understanding throught direct experience

so i'll recommend to you that you start looking to gnu/screen, is so damn easy to configure/use once you understand it, but difficult when you start reading about it, like dwm is in first place

what i do for file assosiations and such is using midnight commander (cli-file manager) and i edited a menu (F2 on a dir/file) and it popups showing the list of apps that i configured to open that file extension, i configured tuxcmd in the past but i didnt used it for months now...

here's the ~/.mc/menu i did... (i use urxvt as a daemon starting "urxvtd -q -f -o &" in .xinit, you may change "urxvtc" with your terminal emulator of choice... (i hope it will be urxvt(c) and not something like gnome-terminal wink )

shell_patterns=0
+ ! t t
@       Do something on the current file
    CMD=%{Enter command}
    $CMD %f

7       compress to 7zip (dir27z)
        urxvtc -e dir27z %f &

@       compress file to zip (file2zip)
        urxvtc -e file2zip %f &

@       compress dir to zip (dir2zip)
        urxvtc -e dir2zip %f &

@       dir to iso (mkisofs -V volume_name -J -r -o isoimage.iso)
        urxvtc -e mkisofs -V NEW -J -r -o isoimage.iso %f &

s       make symlink in /tmp/burn (mksym)
        mksym %f &

x       make executable (chmod 755)
        chmod 755 %f

r       chown -cR root:root
        sudo chown -cR root:root %f

a       chown -cR aleyscha:users
        sudo chown -cR aleyscha:users %f

u       mount /dev/cdrom
        mount /dev/cdrom

u       umount /dev/cdrom
        umount /dev/cdrom

u       wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom -blank=fast
        urxvtc -e wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom -blank=fast &

u       dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/downloads/New/isoimage.iso
        urxvtc -e dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/downloads/New/isoimage.iso &

u       unmount ISO Image (fusermount -u /mnt/cdrom)
        fusermount -u /mnt/cdrom

u       unmount ISO Image (fusermount -u /mnt/iso1)
        fusermount -u /mnt/iso1

u       unmount ISO Image (fusermount -u /mnt/iso2)
        fusermount -u /mnt/iso2

g       edit file in gvim as root (sudo gvim %f &)
    sudo gvim %f &

c       copy (fui %f)
    urxvtc -e fui %f &

p       paste (fui --copy)
    urxvtc -e fui --copy &

p       paste (fui --move)
    urxvtc -e fui --move &

c       clamscan (clamscan --recursive --infected --bell --remove)
    urxvtc -e clamscan --recursive --infected --bell --remove %f &

b       Send via Bluetooth to device (obexftp -b 00:17:D5:85:0D:6F -p)
    obexftp -b 00:17:D5:85:0D:6F -p %f &

+ t t
d       Do something on the tagged files
    set %t; CMD=%{Enter command}
    while [ -n "$1" ]; do
      $CMD "$1"
      shift
    done

+ t t
@       Make symlink in /tmp/burn
        while [ -n "$1" ]; do
          mksym "$1"
          shift
        done

0       Edit a bug report and send it to root
    I=`mktemp ${MC_TMPDIR:-/tmp}/mail.XXXXXX` || exit 1
    ${EDITOR-vi} $I
    test -r $I && mail root < $I
    rm -f $I

=+ f \.1$ | f \.3$ | f \.4$ | f \.5$ | f \.6$ | f \.7$ | f \.8$ | f \.man$ & t r
1       Display the file with roff -man
    nroff -man %f | less

2       Call the info hypertext browser
        info

= t d
3       Compress the current subdirectory (tar.gz)
    Pwd=`basename "%d" /`
    echo -n "Name of the compressed file (without extension) [$Pwd]: "
    read tar
        if [ "$tar"x = x ]; then tar="$Pwd"; fi
    cd .. && \
    tar cf - "$Pwd" | gzip -f9 > "$tar.tar.gz" && \
    echo "../$tar.tar.gz created."

4       Compress the current subdirectory (tar.bz2)
    Pwd=`basename %d /`
    echo -n "Name of the compressed file (without extension) [$Pwd]: "
    read tar
        if [ "$tar"x = x ]; then tar="$Pwd"; fi
    cd .. && \
    tar cf - "$Pwd" | bzip2 -f > "$tar.tar.bz2" && \
    echo "../$tar.tar.bz2 created."

= f \.c$ & t r
+ f \.c$ & t r & ! t t
5       Compile and link current .c file
        make `basename %f .c` 2>/dev/null || cc -O -o `basename %f .c` %f

+ t r & ! t t
a       Append file to opposite
    cat %f >>%D/%f

+ t t
A       Append files to opposite files
    set %t
    while [ -n "$1" ]; do
      cat $1 >>%D/$1
      shift
    done

+ t r & ! t t
d       Delete file if a copy exists in the other directory.
    if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
      echo "The two directores must be different"
      exit 1
    fi
      if [ -f %D/%f ]; then        # if two of them, then
          if cmp -s %D/%f %f; then
            rm %f && echo %f: DELETED
          else
            echo "%f and %D/%f differ: NOT deleted"
            echo -n "Press RETURN "
            read key
          fi
    else
      echo %f: No copy in %D/%f: NOT deleted.
        fi

+ t t
D       Delete tagged files if a copy exists in the other directory.
    if [ "%d" = "%D" ]; then
      echo "The two directores must be different"
      exit 1
    fi 
        for i in %t
        do 
          if [ -f %D/$i ]; then
            SUM1="`sum $i`"
            SUM2="`sum %D/$i`"
            if [ "$SUM1" = "$SUM2" ]; then
          rm $i && echo ${i}: DELETED
        else
          echo $i and %D/$i differ: NOT deleted.
        fi
      else
        echo %f has no copy in %D/%f: NOT deleted.
          fi
        done

m       View manual page
    MAN=%{Enter manual name}
    %view man -P cat $MAN

= f \.gz$ & t r
+ ! t t
n       Inspect gzip'ed newsbatch file
        dd if=%f bs=1 skip=12|zcat|${PAGER-more}
        # assuming the cunbatch header is 12 bytes long.

= t r &
+ ! t t
h       Strip headers from current newsarticle
    CHECK=`awk '{print $1 ; exit}' %f` 2>/dev/null
    case $CHECK in
      Newsgroups:|Path:)
          I=`mktemp ${MC_TMPDIR:-/tmp}/news.XXXXXX` || exit 1
          cp %f $I && sed '/^'"$CHECK"' /,/^$/d' $I > %f
              [ "$?" = "0" ] && rm $I
          echo %f: header removed
        ;;
      *)
          echo %f is not a news article.
        ;;
    esac

+ t t
H       Strip headers from the marked newsarticles
    set %t
    while [ -n "$1" ]; do
      CHECK=`awk '{print $1 ; exit}' $1` 2>/dev/null
      WFILE=`mktemp ${MC_TMPDIR:-/tmp}/news.XXXXXX` || exit 1
      case $CHECK in
        Newsgroups:|Path:)
          cp $1 $WFILE && sed '/^'"$CHECK"' /,/^$/d' $WFILE > $1
              if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
        rm $WFILE; echo $1 header removed. OK.
          else
        echo "Oops! Please check $1 against $WFILE"
          fi
        ;;
        *)
          echo $1 skipped: Not a news article.
        ;;
      esac
      shift
    done

= t r
+ ! t t
r       Copy file to remote host
    echo -n "To which host?: "
        read Host
        echo -n "To which directory on $Host?: "
        read Dir
        rcp -p %f ${Host}:$Dir

+ t t
R       Copy files to remote host (no error checking)
    echo -n "Copy files to which host?: "
        read Host
        echo -n "To which directory on $Host? :"
        read Dir
        rcp -pr %u ${Host}:$Dir

= f \.tex$ & t r
+ f \.tex$ & t r & ! t t
t       Run latex on file and show it with xdvi
        latex %f && xdvi `basename %f .tex`.dvi

=+ f ^part | f ^Part | f uue & t r
+ t t
U       Uudecode marked news articles (needs work)
    set %t
        (
    while [ -n "$1" ]; do # strip headers
      FIRST=`awk '{print $1 ; exit}' $1`
      cat $1 | sed '/^'"$FIRST"' /,/^$/d'; shift
    done
    ) |sed '/^$/d' |sed -n '/^begin 6/,/^end$/p' | uudecode
    if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then
      echo "Cannot decode %t"
    fi
    echo "Please test the output file before deleting anything"

=+ f \.tar\.gz$ | f \.tar\.z$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.tpz$ | f \.tar\.Z$| f \.tar\.bz2$ & t r
x       Extract the contents of a compressed tar file
    unset EXT
    case %f in 
        *.tar.bz2) EXT=tar_bz2;;
    esac
    if [ "$EXT" = "tar_bz2" ]; then
      bunzip2 -c %f | tar xvf -
    else
      gzip -dc %f | tar xvf -
    fi

= t r
+ ! t t
y       Gzip or gunzip current file
        unset DECOMP
    case %f in 
        *.gz) DECOMP=-d;;
        *.[zZ]) DECOMP=-d;;
    esac
        gzip $DECOMP -v %f

+ t t
Y       Gzip or gunzip tagged files
        for i in %t
        do
          unset DECOMP
      case $i in 
        *.gz) DECOMP=-d;;
        *.[zZ]) DECOMP=-d;;
      esac
          gzip $DECOMP -v $i
        done

+ ! t t
b       Bzip2 or bunzip2 current file
        unset DECOMP
    case %f in 
        *.bz2) DECOMP=-d;;
    esac
        bzip2 $DECOMP -v %f

+ t t
B       Bzip2 or bunzip2 tagged files
        for i in %t
        do
          unset DECOMP
      case $i in 
        *.bz2) DECOMP=-d;;
      esac
          bzip2 $DECOMP -v $i
        done

+ f \.tar.gz$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.tpz$ | f \.tar.Z$ | f \.tar.z$ | f \.tar.bz2$ | f \.tar.F$ & t r & ! t t
z       Extract compressed tar file to subdirectory
    unset D
    set gzip -cd
    case %f in
      *.tar.gz) D="`basename %f .tar.gz`";;
      *.tgz)    D="`basename %f .tgz`";;
      *.tpz)    D="`basename %f .tpz`";;
      *.tar.Z)  D="`basename %f .tar.Z`";;
      *.tar.z)  D="`basename %f .tar.z`";;
      *.tar.bz2) D="`basename %f .tar.bz2`"; set bunzip2 -c ;;
      *.tar.F) D="`basename %f .tar.F`"; set freeze -dc;
    esac
    mkdir $D; cd $D && ($1 $2 ../%f | tar xvf -)

+ t t
Z       Extract compressed tar files to subdirectories
    for i in %t
        do
      set gzip -dc
          unset D
      case $i in
        *.tar.gz)  D="`basename $i .tar.gz`";;
        *.tgz)     D="`basename $i .tgz`";;
        *.tpz)     D="`basename $i .tpz`";;
        *.tar.Z)   D="`basename $i .tar.Z`";;
        *.tar.z)   D="`basename $i .tar.z`";;
        *.tar.F)   D="`basename $i .tar.F`"; set freeze -dc;;
        *.tar.bz2) D="`basename $i .tar.bz2`"; set bunzip2 -c;;
          esac
      mkdir $D; (cd $D && $1 $2 ../$i | tar xvf -)
        done

+ f \.gz$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.tpz$ | f \.Z$ | f \.z$ | f \.bz2$ & t r & ! t t
c       Convert gz<->bz2, tar.gz<->tar.bz2 & tgz->tar.bz2
    unset D
    unset EXT
    case %f in
        *.tgz)    EXT=tgz;;
        *.tpz)    EXT=tpz;;
        *.Z)    EXT=Z;;
        *.z)    EXT=z;;
        *.gz)    EXT=gz;;
        *.bz2)    EXT=bz2;;
    esac
        case $EXT in
      tgz|tpz)    D="`basename %f .$EXT`.tar";;
      gz|Z|z)    D="`basename %f .$EXT`";;
      bz2)        D="`basename %f .bz2`";;
        esac
        if [ "$EXT" = "bz2" ]; then
        bunzip2 -v %f ; gzip -f9 -v $D
    else
        gunzip -v %f ; bzip2 -v $D
    fi

+ t t
C       Convert gz<->bz2, tar.gz<->tar.bz2 & tgz->tar.bz2
    set %t
    while [ -n "$1" ]
        do
      unset D
      unset EXT
      case $1 in
        *.tgz)    EXT=tgz;;
        *.tpz)    EXT=tpz;;
        *.Z)    EXT=Z;;
        *.z)    EXT=z;;
        *.gz)    EXT=gz;;
        *.bz2)    EXT=bz2;;
      esac
      case $EXT in
          tgz)    D="`basename $1 .tgz`.tar";;
              tpz)    D="`basename $1 .tpz`.tar";;
          gz|Z|z) D="`basename $1 .$EXT`";;
          bz2)    D="`basename $1 .bz2`";;
      esac
      if [ "$EXT" = "bz2" ]; then
        bunzip2 -v $1
        gzip -f9 -v $D
      else
        gunzip -v $1
        bzip2 -v $D
      fi
      shift
        done

+ x /usr/bin/open | x /usr/local/bin/open & x /bin/sh
o       Open next a free console
        open -s -- sh

#####################
####             ####
#### Added by me ####
####             ####
#####################

#### Video File Menu ####

+ f \.avi$ | f \.mpg$ | f \.mpeg$ | f \.mkv$ | f \.ts$ | f \.rm$ | f \.vob$ | f \.VOB$ | f \.rmvb$ | f \.flv$ | f \.wmv | f \.ram | f \.mp4 | f \.asf | f \.ogm | f \.m2v | f \.evo$ & t r & ! t t
p       mplayer
        mplayer %f

+ f \.avi$ | f \.mpg$ | f \.mpeg$ | f \.mkv$ | f \.ts$ | f \.rm$ | f \.vob$ | f \.VOB$ | f \.rmvb$ | f \.flv$ | f \.wmv | f \.ram | f \.mp4 | f \.asf | f \.ogm | f \.m2v | f \.evo$ & t r & ! t t
i       ffmpeg -i (show audio/video info)
        ffmpeg -i %f

i       mediainfo (show audio/video info)
        mediainfo %f

v       vlc
        vlc %f &

e       Edit with AviDemux (avidemux2_gtk %f)
        avidemux2_gtk %f &

e       Encode to h264 vhq 96 700 (enc2h264 vhq 96 700 %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 vhq 96 700 %f &

e       Encode to h264 hq 64 500 (enc2h264 hq 64 500 %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 hq 64 500 %f &

e       Encode to h264 wmv 17fps 500 64 (enc2h264 wmv17 %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 wmv17 %f &

e       Encode to h264 wmv 25fps 500 64 (enc2h264 wmv25 %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 wmv25 %f &

@       Encode to -oac mp3_abr_96 (enc2h264 audio 96)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 audio 96 %f &

@       Encode to vhq 140 1000 (scale to 624x352, enc2h264 series %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2h264 series %f &

e       Encode to mpg 160 1152 (enc2mpg mpg 160 1152 %f)
        urxvtc -e enc2mpg mpg 160 1152 %f &

f       mplayer framebuffer (mplayer -vo fbdev -fs)
        mplayer -vo fbdev -fs %f

+ f \.mkv$ & t r & ! t t
e       Extract mkv file (video-audio-subtitle, extractmkv %f)
        urxvtc -e extractmkv %f &

#### Audio File Menu ####

+ f \.wav$ | f \.mp3$ | f \.au$ | f \.aiff$ | f \.snd$ | f \.mp2$ | f \.flac$ | f \.wma$ | f \.snd$ | f \.mpc$ | f \.ac3$ | f \.mid$ | f \.ogg$ & t r & ! t t
p       mplayer
        urxvtc -e mplayer %f &

+ f \.wav$ | f \.mp3$ | f \.au$ | f \.aiff$ | f \.snd$ | f \.mp2$ | f \.flac$ | f \.wma$ | f \.snd$ | f \.mpc$ | f \.ac3$ | f \.mid$ | f \.ogg$ & t r & ! t t
i       ffmpeg -i (show audio/video info)
        ffmpeg -i %f &

i       mediainfo (show audio/video info)
        mediainfo %f &

a       audacity
        audacity %f

e       Encode to ABR MP3 (enc2mp3)
        urxvtc -e enc2mp3 %f &

#### Disk Image File Menu ####

+ f \.iso$ | f \.ccd$ | f \.img$ | f \.nrg$ | f \.mdf$ | f \.cue$ | f \.bin$ | f \.daa$ | f \.b6t$ | f \.b6i$ & t r & ! t t
i       isomaster
        isomaster %f

+ f \.cue$ | f \.bin$ & t r & ! t t
3       Convert BIN to ISO (bin2iso)
        urxvtc -e bin2iso %f &

+ f \.iso$ | f \.ccd$ | f \.img$ | f \.nrg$ | f \.mdf$ | f \.cue$ | f \.bin$ | f \.daa$ | f \.b6t$ | f \.b6i$ & t r & ! t t
c       Poweriso convert image to ISO (all2iso)
        urxvtc -e all2iso %f &

+ f \.ccd$ & t r & ! t t
5       Convert CCD to ISO (myccd2iso)
        urxvtc -e myccd2iso %f &

+ f \.iso$ | f \.bin$ | f \.img$ | f \.nrg$ | f \.mdf$ & t r & ! t t
5       Fuseiso mount image /mnt/cdrom (fuseiso %f /mnt/cdrom)
        fuseiso %f /mnt/cdrom

5       Fuseiso mount image /mnt/iso1 (fuseiso %f /mnt/iso1)
        fuseiso %f /mnt/iso1

5       Fuseiso mount image /mnt/iso2 (fuseiso %f /mnt/iso2)
        fuseiso %f /mnt/iso2

+ f \.cue$ & t r & ! t t
5       Burn BIN/CUE image (cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom %f)
        urxvtc -e cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom %f &

+ f \.iso$ | f \.bin$ & t r & ! t t
5       Burn ISO image (burn-cd -m)
        urxvtc -e burn-cd -m %f &

+ f \.iso$ & t r & ! t t
5       Burn ISO image (wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom)
        urxvtc -e wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom %f &

#### Image File Menu ####

+ f \.jpg$ | f \.jpeg$ | f \.bmp$ | f \.png$ | f \.gif$ | f \.svg$ & t r & ! t t
v       xv
        xv %f &

+ f \.jpg$ | f \.jpeg$ | f \.bmp$ | f \.png$ | f \.gif$ | f \.svg$ & t r & ! t t
v       feh
        feh %f &

f       feh --scale-down
        feh --scale-down %f &

g       gimp
        gimp %f &

3       geeqie
        geeqie %f &

#### PDF File Menu ####

+ f \.pdf$ & t r & ! t t
v       epdfview
        epdfview %f &

+ f \.pdf$ & t r & ! t t
x       xpdf
        xpdf %f

+ f \.pdf$ & t r & ! t t
x       viewpdf
        urxvtc -e viewpdf %f &

#### Text File Menu ####

+ f \.txt$ | f \.nfo$ | f \.cfg$ | f \.log$ | f \.srt$ | f \.sub$ | f \.ssa$ & t r & ! t t
v       leafpad
        leafpad %f &

+ f \.txt$ | f \.nfo$ | f \.cfg$ | f \.log$ | f \.srt$ | f \.sub$ | f \.ssa$ & t r & ! t t
g       gvim
        gvim %f &

#### Archive File Menu ####

+ f \.zip$ | f \.tar.gz$ | f \.rar$ | f \.bz2$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.7z$ | f \.ace$ & t r & ! t t
l       List file contents (7z l)
        urxvtc -e 7z l %f &

+ f \.zip$ | f \.tar.gz$ | f \.rar$ | f \.bz2$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.7z$ | f \.ace$ & t r & ! t t
1       xarchiver
        xarchiver %f &

2       Extract *.tar.gz (tar -xzvf)
        urxvtc -e tar -xzvf %f &

3       Extract *.tar.bz2 (tar -xjvf)
        urxvtc -e tar -xjvf %f &

+ f \.zip$ | f \.tar.gz$ | f \.rar$ | f \.bz2$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.7z$ | f \.ace$ | f \.cbr$ | f \.cbz$ & t r & ! t t
4       Extract *.rar Full Path (unrar x)
        urxvtc -e unrar x %f &

+ f \.zip$ | f \.tar.gz$ | f \.rar$ | f \.bz2$ | f \.tgz$ | f \.7z$ | f \.ace$ | f \.cbr$ | f \.cbz$ & t r & ! t t
5       Extract *.rar Current Dir (unrar e)
        urxvtc -e unrar e %f &

5       Extract broken *.rar Full Path (unrar x -kb)
        urxvtc -e unrar x -kb %f &

+ f \.zip$ & t r & ! t t
6       Extract *.zip (unzip)
        urxvtc -e unzip %f &

6       Extract *.zip with bsdtar (bsdtar -xvf)
        urxvtc -e bsdtar -xvf %f &

7       Extract *.7z Full Path (7z x)
        urxvtc -e 7z x %f &

8       Extract *.7z Current Dir (7z e)
        urxvtc -e 7z e %f &

+ f \.ace$ & t r & ! t t
9       Extract *.ace Full Path (unace x)
        urxvtc -e unace x %f &

+ f \.ace$ & t r & ! t t
a       Extract *.ace Current Dir (unace e)
        urxvtc -e unace e %f &

+ f \.rar$ | f \.cbz$ & t r & ! t t
b       Extract *.rar in *.rar_dir directory (unrar2dir)
        urxvtc -e unrar2dir %f &

+ f \.zip$ & t r & ! t t
c       Extract *.zip in *.zip_dir directory (unzip2dir)
        urxvtc -e unzip2dir %f &

+ f \.tar.gz$ | f \.bz2$ | f \.tgz$ & t r & ! t t
e       yaourt Install/Upgrade Package (yaourt -U)
        yaourt -U %f

#### Windows Executable File Menu ####

+ f \.exe$ | f \.EXE$ | f \.bat$ | f \.BAT$ & t r & ! t t
r       wine
        urxvtc -e wine %f &

+ f \.exe$ | f \.EXE$ | f \.bat$ | f \.BAT$ | f \.cmd$ | f \.CMD$ | f \.COM$ | f \.com$ & t r & ! t t
r       Dosbox (Dosbox normal)
        Dosbox normal %f &

+ f \.exe$ | f \.EXE$ | f \.bat$ | f \.BAT$ | f \.cmd$ | f \.CMD$ | f \.COM$ | f \.com$ & t r & ! t t
r       Dosbox (Dosbox normal3x)
        Dosbox normal3x %f &

r       Dosbox (Dosbox advmame3x)
        Dosbox advmame3x %f &

#### Internet File Menu ####

+ f \.htm$ | f \.html$ | f \.php$ | f \.asp$ & t r & ! t t
k       kazehakase
        kazehakase %f

s       swiftweasel
        swiftweasel %f

s       elinks
        urxvtc -e elinks %f &

s       links -g
        links -g %f

#### Document File Menu ####

+ f \.doc$ | f \.rtf$ & t r & ! t t
a       abiword
        abiword %f

o       OpenOffice Writer
        soffice -writer %f

o       antiword
        urxvtc -e antiword %f &

o       viewword (antiword -f %f > vi)
        urxvtc -e viewword %f &

+ f \.lit$ & t r & ! t t
o       c-lit
        c-lit %f

#### Spread Sheet File Menu ####

+ f \.xls$ | f \.csv$ & t r & ! t t
g       gnumeric
        gnumeric %f

#### Presentation File Menu ####

+ f \.ppt$ | f \.pps$ & t r & ! t t
v       OpenOffice Impress (soffice -impress)
        soffice -impress %f

#### Java File Menu ####

+ f \.jar$ & t r & ! t t
e       Execute java program (java -jar)
        java -jar %f

#### Help/Manual File Menu ####

+ f \.chm$ & t r & ! t t
v       xchm
        xchm %f

#### Emulator Roms ####
+ f \.smc$ & t r & ! t t
v       zsnes
        zsnes %f

+ f \.smc$ & t r & ! t t
v       snes9x (snes9x -tr -dfr -y2)
        snes9x -tr -dfr -y2 %f

+ f \.smd$ & t r & ! t t
v       dgen (dgen -G 1280x960)
        dgen -G 1280x960 %f

+ f \.v64$ | f \.z64$ & t r & ! t t
v       mupen64_nogui
        mupen64_nogui %f

+ f \.nes$ & t r & ! t t
v       tuxnes
        tuxnes %f

+ f \.nes$ & t r & ! t t
v       fceu
        fceu -input1 gamepad %f

+ f \.nes$ & t r & ! t t
v       ines
        ines %f

+ f \.int$ & t r & ! t t
v       intellivission
        int %f

+ f \.gb$ | f \.gba$ & t r & ! t t
v       VisualBoyAdvance
        VisualBoyAdvance -4 %f

+ f \.gb$ | f \.gba$ & t r & ! t t
v       gvba
        gvba %f

+ f \.gba$ & t r & ! t t
v       vgba
        vgba %f

+ f \.gb$ & t r & ! t t
v       vgb
        vgb %f

+ f \.adf$ & t r & ! t t
v       amigacomputer
        e-uae %f

+ f \.gcm$ & t r & ! t t
v       tuxcube
        tuxcube %f

+ f \.st$ & t r & ! t t
v       hatari
        hatari %f

+ f \.a26$ & t r & ! t t
v       stella
        stella %f

+ f \.col$ & t r & ! t t
v       colem32
        colem32 %f

#### Source-Code File Menu ####

+ f \.c$ & t r & ! t t
c       compile source file (gcc -O2 -Wall -pedantic)
        urxvtc -e gcc -O2 -Wall -pedantic %f

+ f \.cpp$ & t r & ! t t
c       compile source file (gcc -O2 -Wall -pedantic)
        urxvtc -e g++ -O2 -Wall -pedantic %f

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#8 2009-02-03 17:09:59

yvonney

beautifully, logically and interestingly put!

Amazing as I installed screen last night... the beginning for me of something else that's wonderful.
busy day and I'll get to it later.

Board footer