You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-21 08:37:16

token
Website

There may not be stupid questions, but..

Hey guys,

I use my main computer with Arch, and I can't stop doing stupid things to it sad

Here's the thing. I did a pacman -Syu and proceeded to do the upgrades. After it completed, I started having issues with programs randomly segfaulting. I had a hard time finding out the problem, because they would segfault without telling me the source of the problem. Someone told me I should give up and reinstall, because it'd be impossible to find the source.. So what did I do?

Exited KDE,
Then............ Here comes the fun part..
rm -f /usr/lib/lib*

Removed most of my libraries, then I used pacman to reinstall them all (most of them needing -f, of course).. Despite this stupid move, the segfaulting has completely stopped, mplayer works again, xine works again, amsn works again, tux-racer and foobillards works again.. My resource usage went down from ~700mb for X and KDE only, to ~300mb for the same thing. Load averages went from 2.5 to 0.5 average (actually, i ran a very large site on the same system i did this to, which is why the loads were so high to begin with.. I told you I wasn't smart!).. The system runs much faster and cleaner, and things pop right up now..

Heres the question part.. I have a few random issues left that have been annoying me since redoing everything. To be respectful, I will condense both of the issues to 1 thread, and hopefully, even if only one issue gets squashed, it would make my computing experience much better.

1.) GTK apps don't recognize PNG anymore-- Yes, I reinstalled the PNG libraries, and reinstalled every *pacman*gtk* i could find, even glib and pango. Here's an example of the output to the console:

Gtk - Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/filesave.png'
Icons show a simple "X" over a piece of paper icon in GTK based apps.

2.) K3B doesn't recognize MP3s anymore. Despite libk3bmaddecoder being present, it doesnt want to use it. Every other program has no problem with MP3s, but K3B hates me sad

Despite my 'blowtorch to unfreeze a frozen gas line' approach to a system cleanup, I'm actually happy with the results so far. These 2 things are the only things left, and I'd be greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction to fix the remaining quirks.

Thanks
--Toeman

Chicken sandwich

#2 2005-03-21 08:41:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: There may not be stupid questions, but..

maybe imlib?
pacman -Sy imlib

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-21 11:43:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

gdkpixbuf ?

#4 2005-03-22 01:48:07

token
Website

Tried both, but they didnt seem to do it.. I was almost certain gdkpixbuf would do it sad

Chicken sandwich

#5 2005-03-22 02:18:54

puntmuts

libmng ?
librsvg ?
gd ?
libmad ?
lame?

Maybe a ldd programname will help you.

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#6 2005-03-22 03:07:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

you mentioned glib, glib2 also?

#7 2005-03-22 05:10:49

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

libogg ?

#8 2005-03-22 05:44:39

shadowhand
Website

Why not back up your data and reinstall? It might be easier in the long run.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#9 2005-03-22 06:41:12

token
Website

I did glib, and glib2, and libogg was one of the first things I did when I got all of the required libraries installed to run mplayer.. Had to hear my music smile

At this point, theres not much else I can think of, so I guess I have 2 options now..

1.) Use icon sets that use jpegs or gifs

or

2.) Reinstall.. (this probobly wont happen, because reinstall = downtime = angry anime fans)

Thanks for your suggestions, just kinda wanted to check to see if anyone here had any suggestions..

Chicken sandwich

#10 2005-03-22 08:09:32

token
Website

If anyone cares, I think I have both problems solved..

MP3s were fixed by checking libk3bmaddecoder.la and manually verifying the files.. Turns out the reason it wouldn't load MP3s was due to a missing id3lib.a file..

Next, the PNG issue.. Well, I also neglected to mention there was an error with 'XPM' images too.. I ran /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders and it found this..
g_module_open() failed for /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: libgsf-1.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It didn't mention PNGs though, which is weird, but anyways, I converted all of my icons to GIF just so they'd work, and I have yet to see problems since.

[edit]
There were more missing libraries, but the query loaders tool will point you in the right direction.
[/edit]

Not that anyone cares, but nothing makes me more mad than looking around forums for an answer and seeing one unanswered, so I'm posting my solution in hopes of aiding someone else into the right direction to fix their problem.

Cheers, and thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and trying to help me with my issue.

Chicken sandwich

#11 2005-03-22 16:20:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

token wrote:

g_module_open() failed for /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: libgsf-1.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

For this error,

pacman -S libgsf 

#12 2009-02-04 04:10:25

Axell

Hi!

I've the same problem with PNG images. But gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders didn't show any fails. I even didn't find any string about PNG... Wtf?

#13 2009-02-04 07:53:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Don't bump old threads.  You are better of starting a new post as this is three years old and none of this information probably applies any more...

Board footer