You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 09:21:59

panosk

getting rid of xorg.conf

Hello,

I am running arch with kde4.2 without an xorg.conf file. I decided to get rid of it right after installing KDE, because I wanted to go the easy way and take the chance to see the whole hot-plugging convenience. Everything runs fine for about 2 weeks (with kwin's desktop effects enabled), but I am fairly new to the hot-plugging stuff, so I was wondering if I am missing any advantages or I could improve graphics performance with an xorg.conf file. My lap (Dell 1330) has an integrated intel graphics chipset (965GM).

#2 2009-02-02 13:40:03

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: getting rid of xorg.conf

i would say if everything is working fine you don't really have to use one.  I think you only really need one if you notice specific things that aren't working the way that you want, which you need to specify in an xorg.conf.

#3 2009-02-03 09:09:16

panosk

Thanks, I have no intention to use an xorg.conf for the time being. However, right before I got rid of it, i did some tests. I created an xorg.conf in order to make the synaptics touchpad work properly, so I included only options related to the touchpad (I configured it later with hal policies). However, when I restarted x-server, there was an impact in graphics too - lower resolution, etc. So, my question is, how does x-server uses the xorg.conf? If there is an xorg.conf, does x-server ignore hot-plugging completely for all components, even if the file contains only options for one or two components?

#4 2009-02-04 21:21:08

BeholdMyGlory

panosk wrote:

Thanks, I have no intention to use an xorg.conf for the time being. However, right before I got rid of it, i did some tests. I created an xorg.conf in order to make the synaptics touchpad work properly, so I included only options related to the touchpad (I configured it later with hal policies). However, when I restarted x-server, there was an impact in graphics too - lower resolution, etc. So, my question is, how does x-server uses the xorg.conf? If there is an xorg.conf, does x-server ignore hot-plugging completely for all components, even if the file contains only options for one or two components?

At least for me, all I had to do to get my touchpad working without xorg.conf, was to install xf86-input-synaptics.

Board footer