You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-02 00:35:57

mei

No curly or square brackets in xorg in Swedish keyboard layout

Hi!

I'm using the Swedish keyboard layout in xorg (se), but the curly och square brackets does not seem to be displayed as they should.
When I enter AltGr + 7, I should get a curly bracket ( { ), but now it gives me a û.  AltGr + 8 equals a Û (should be [ ), AltGr + 9 equals ý (should be ] ) and AltGr + 0 equals Ý (should be } ).

Here's my xorg.conf for the Keyboard input device:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver     "kbd"
    Option     "XkbModel"    "logiultrax"
    Option     "XkbLayout"   "se"
EndSection

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Last edited by mei (2009-02-03 00:23:18)

#2 2009-02-02 04:59:12

CipherUC
Website

Re: No curly or square brackets in xorg in Swedish keyboard layout

Try adding Option XkbModel "pc105"

#3 2009-02-02 08:43:21

BeholdMyGlory

mei wrote:

Hi!

I'm using the Swedish keyboard layout in xorg (se), but the curly och square brackets does not seem to be displayed as they should.
When I enter AltGr + 7, I should get a curly bracket ( { ), but now it gives me a û.  AltGr + 8 equals a Û (should be [ ), AltGr + 9 equals ý (should be ] ) and AltGr + 0 equals Ý (should be } ).

Here's my xorg.conf for the Keyboard input device:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver     "kbd"
    Option     "XkbModel"    "logiultrax"
    Option     "XkbLayout"   "se"
EndSection

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Check your /etc/rc.conf so that you've set your locale and keymap right, that part of my rc.conf:

LOCALE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Stockholm"
KEYMAP="sv-latin1"

As for xorg.conf, I'm actually running completely without it. Which I could recommend as long as you're not using the proprietary drivers from NVidia or ATI or so.

#4 2009-02-02 22:28:48

mei

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. Unfortunately, neither of the tips worked out for me. I couldn't run without a config, and if I tried with pc105, it just turned out the same.

Funny thing is though; when I changed from logiultrax to pc105, it worked! But then after some reboots, it turned back as before.

Any idea on what's happenig?

Last edited by mei (2009-02-03 01:01:19)

#5 2009-02-03 12:21:33

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Hello,

Something similar happened to me this week: on the virtual terminal the "é" (french layout) was replaced by a curly bracket (etc...) and under KDE, my arrow keys were behaving oddly.

I realized I had forgotten to:

$ cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi

and to modify the line "<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">NEW_LAYOUT</merge>" as explained on the wiki

I then had to de-activate the "special layout" on KDE system settings.

So now my keyboard works fine under KDE but there still are some weird behaviors on the console.

NB: I also read that keyboard and mouse settings from xorg.conf are not used anymore! Hal is doing it instead.

Does it help?

Last edited by Wikimig (2009-02-03 12:22:41)

#6 2009-02-04 21:31:39

BeholdMyGlory

I just got the same problem. This because I decided to install ATI Catalyst, which need an xorg.conf to actually get loaded at all (I didn't use xorg.conf before).
My arrow keys aren't working, my delete key takes a screenshot, Alt Gr seems to do the same as the left key is supposed to do, but I can't hold it down(nothing happens). And so on. This is really annoying, and it seems wierd if I would have to change back to xf86-video-ati just because my keyboard isn't working.
I've tried the instructions in the above post, I've tried changing and commenting out different lines in my xorg.conf. I even tried commenting out where the keyboard gets loaded in xorg.conf to see if X would load it dynamically. Nothing works. Strangely enough, when I commented out the keyboard section, X did find my keyboard, but still with the screwed up layout.

Last edited by BeholdMyGlory (2009-02-04 21:33:22)

Board footer