You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-04 21:48:19

silasq

'Supported hardware' listing - especially graphic cards?

Hi there smile

I was wondering if there is a list with Arch-compatible hardware (32 and 64bit). I haven´t found one till now.

I was a ubuntu user some time ago and there were some small lists and sometimes it helped users a lot when it came to buy new hardware or look out for bugs and so on.

I am thinking about buying an ATI 4670 but I can´t find infos if it´supported well enough or if it´s better to buy a Nvidia GPU.

Do you like the idea to start such a database with known issues and so on?
Or is there one and I am to blind to find it cause you hide it from me? big_smile

Sorry for my english, I hope everything´s understandable.

regards,
silasq

Last edited by silasq (2009-02-04 21:50:11)

#2 2009-02-04 22:34:20

fwojciec

Re: 'Supported hardware' listing - especially graphic cards?

There is no reason to make a database like this for Arch.  There is nothing Arch-specific as far as hardware support is concerned.  What is currently supported in Linux is currently supported in Arch.

#3 2009-02-04 22:39:16

Hrod beraht

What timing! I just happened to be reading an article at Phoronix on the Radeon 4670. They use the catalyst driver (available via pacman) and seem to like it a lot.

Lots of other 'graphics cards with linux' articles on that site too.

Also articles on new 2009 linux drivers from both ATI and NVIDIA. (also available via pacman).

Bob

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2009-02-04 22:48:41)

#4 2009-02-04 23:24:08

silasq

Thx for your feedback!

I just found Phoronix some minutes ago, too, thanks smile

As for my other question you are right, fwojciec.
But is there a list with linux-compatible hardware?
Maybe it would be great if the Arch community starts something like a hardware database.

Why? I would say there are lots of users who are afraid of linux in general because of the drivers and it´s problems. And there are also the ones like me who dunno what hardware they should and can buy.
Such a database would be a good way to show that there is good hardware which runs well on linux and especially on Arch, too.

regards

#5 2009-02-05 00:32:01

fwojciec

There are various databases of this kind available already -- like linux-drivers.org for example.  You can find more via google, or just search for a particular device + linux to find if it is supported or nor, if there are any quirks in configuring it, etc.

As with anything in Arch -- if you'd like something to happen nobody can stop you since anyone can edit the wiki. smile  However, to get a project like this going you'd normally have to show initiative yourself, start working on it, and when you have the first results it should be easier to get others to join you in your effort.

#6 2009-02-05 08:42:15

Kirurgs

Hmm, as for long term project this idea is not what one person can do... Arch community is not that big too...
To recommend HW or add it to any kind of HW DB means actually using that HW, if it works nice - add to DB and in case it's not - solve problems You encounter, find workarounds and post them...
Usually, one person or additional couple of them willing to contribute, don't have even 0.5% of all HW chipsets used yikes So to me it seems not that promising...

In Fedora they have that smolt project, which gathers HW using in Linux boxes, if You find Your HW or one You would like to buy widely used, most likely it has no problems with Linux wink

As for video cards, personally I'm looking for an ATI solution, I see future in that wink nVidia had rather crappy 2D on my T61 (Quadro NVS140M - 8400GS equivalent or so) and even on my GF6600GT (which is almost dead big_smile, that's why I'm looking for replacament). Now it's better with NV with their beta drivers, they even fixed the suspend crash, ATI never had any of these issues on boxes I've seen smile  If to speak about blobs (offiicial manufacturer drivers) ATI's older ones are pain in the ass the same as for nVidia, because they drop features and stuff from there, but OS ones are always lying around and ATI is waaaaaaay ahead in this area...

Last edited by Kirurgs (2009-02-05 08:48:52)

Board footer