You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-22 16:17:32

s3pHiRoTh

GNU info pages issue

Hi there. Since i first installed arch linux a couple of months ago, i hadn't tried to use the info command yet. Now one of these days i needed it, and to my surprise it didn't exist.

After a search trough packages database, i quickly found out i hadn't installed texinfo, so i installed it. At first, there was a problem, a strange error but after installing and reeinstaling the package a couple of times and messing around with some stuff i got it working (I even notified the package manager about this).

So info is working now but...where are the info pages ?
What's happening is that when i try to see an info page, it presents me with a manpage seen with info instead of the real info pages, and info pages like libc or coreutils don't exist (in fact, there are no info pages at all, just the texinfo program).

I always tought that info pages came in each package (like the info page for coreutils in the coreutils package), but when i tried to analyze the package contents, i found nothing.

Can someone help me with this ? What am i missing here ? How can i get the real info pages ?

Thank you smile

Btw, if more info is needed in order to help me solve the problem, just ask.

#2 2004-10-22 16:23:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: GNU info pages issue

The info pages are not used in Arch Linux.
From http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … guide.html:

In it's goal to be simple and lightweight, the relatively useless portions of a linux system have been left out, things like /usr/doc and the info pages. In my own personal experience these are rarely used, and the equivalent information can be obtained from the net if need be. Manpages all the way...

#3 2004-10-22 16:58:31

s3pHiRoTh

Oh...i see. So the only way i can get them is to make my own packages and include those things, right ?

#4 2004-10-22 17:47:41

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Yes.
By default, makepkg removes the info pages and /usr/doc.  There is probably a switch to disable that. Check the makepkg man pages.

Board footer