You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 15:50:35

arch_nemesis

[solved] kdemod 4.2 -- can't get plasmoids to stay gone!

This is my first serious attempt to give KDE4 a run, and FWIW I'm not all that familiar with KDE3 either.

I have several plasmoids that won't go away --

1) The folder view plasmoid -- everyone seems to love this, but I just don't get the purpose.  In any case, I keep turning it off and/or removing it, and it keeps coming back at login.

2) I somehow started 2 of the weather plasmoids by accident at some point, so I get two of them at every login.  I keep removing one of them, and it keeps coming back at next login.

3) I have an empty "yasp - custom" plasmoid that I started unnecessarily while setting up Yasp.  You guessed it -- keeps coming back.

For all three of these I have tried using the "minus sign" in the "Add Widgets" panel, and I have tried just closing them with the X, and I have tried doing a right-click and "Remove this ..."

All of these were installed with kdemod by default, or from the kdemod extragear repository.

Thanks!

Last edited by arch_nemesis (2009-02-05 16:17:55)

#2 2009-01-29 18:00:18

hash

Re: [solved] kdemod 4.2 -- can't get plasmoids to stay gone!

It looks like plasma doesn't save changes that you make, because it crashes when logging out. I used to have this problem in KDE 4.1.

You might want to try

kquitapp plasma; plasma

That should close plasma properly and save the changes that you made and then start the plasma again.

#3 2009-01-29 20:04:45

arch_nemesis

That just seems to get me a black empty screen with a mouse pointer.  Thanks for the tip though, what you are saying makes sense.  With that in mind I'm starting to hunt around to see if there's a editable file somewhere that specifies so-and-so widgets should be present at so-and-so location on the desktop, and hopefully I can just edit those lines out.

#4 2009-01-29 21:09:30

arch_nemesis

This was a nearly random attempt, but it appears to have worked.

I started to google for help based on the plasma settings comment.  The google summary shown on the first link pointed out these two files as related to plasma settings:

~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc
~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

I think the context there was backing up and restoring plasma settings.

Both files definitely contain plasma config info, including information about plasmoids, but in reading through them it seemed like in addition to holding info for currently running plasmoids it also contained info for plasmoids that I had running but removed (including plasmoids that did stay removed as they should.)

I might have been able to work out selectively deleting some sections, but there seemed to be more than one section per plasmoid even for those working properly, and an indexing system that may not have meant what I thought it did, and it was just looking doable but tedious.

So, I backed them up and deleted them, figuring KDE would probably recreate them.

It did, and the problem seems solved.  What's kinda surprising is that the two plasmoids that I actually still want did *not* get deleted along with the rest, though I did have to reconfigure them.

So, upon logging in again, I received the default wallpaper (I had changed it),  default theme (I had changed that too), both the plasmoids I wanted, and none that I didn't.  Not the behavior I expected, but certainly nothing to gripe about.  Hopefully this won't need to be a weekly exercise. smile

EDIT: FIXED TYPO SHOULD HAVE BEEN .kde4 SORRY!!

Last edited by arch_nemesis (2009-01-30 14:53:10)

#5 2009-01-30 14:52:16

arch_nemesis

OK, so that didn't quite do it. 

However, deleteing (well, renaming) ~/.kde4 seems like it did.

#6 2009-02-05 16:17:40

arch_nemesis

In the end, uninstalling kdemod and installing vanilla 4.2 as per the Arch wiki solved the problem.  One user at the kdemod forums confirmed that this fix worked for him as well.

Board footer