You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-19 12:07:17

kilolima
Website

compiz-fusion and KDE integration lacking

I installed the latest compiz-fusion from the repositories.  It actually works quite well now which is great!

However, I still have a few issues, and I think this is from the difference between KDE's virtual desktops and compiz's viewports.  In order to get 4 viewports under compiz I have to set the number of virtual desktops in KDE to 1.  However, this breaks two things, I think because KDE thinks there is only one virtual desktop:

1. The taskbar can no longer show only tasks from the current desktop (or viewports).  It now shows all apps from all desktops, and in fact there is no option to show only current desktop tasks in the control center.

2.  It also breaks Konqueror's option to open new instances in a tab of a current open konq window.  In normal KDE, if it's on the same desktop if will open a new instance in a new tab, but if you are on a different desktop it will open a new window of konq completely.  With compiz, opening a konq instance will jet you back to the desktop which already has an open konq, and then add a new tab to it.  Which makes it difficult to open several distinct konq windows on separate desktops.

3.  Different desktop backgrounds on each viewport?

Anyone have any solutions to these issues or are they still unfinished features within compiz?

cheers,

kilolima

#2 2008-03-19 18:02:56

freakcode
Website

Re: compiz-fusion and KDE integration lacking

I would tell you to wait KDE 4, which KWin comes compositing-enabled by default, and then blends nicely on the desktop.

Compiz integration is weak, but with KDE is even worse. And - let's face it - Compiz is kinda like a hack.

#3 2008-03-19 18:21:29

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I share the same sentiments. That is why I killed Compiz sometime in the last 2 weeks and am living with solely kwin + software transparency & shadows. It's actually nicer than Compiz and you'll come to appreciate it (more solid, the feel of depth is there unlike Compiz).

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#4 2008-03-19 18:29:00

dyscoria

KDE were very clever to build their own compositer. I'm really looking forward to the time when KDE apps really start to use to full potential the new frameworks (phonon, threadweaver, decibel etc) that have been developed.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2008-03-21 22:47:57

kilolima
Website

Thanks for the replies... I think this is the reality... compiz on kde will continue to have issues.

but I will miss drawing flames on screen and expose!

#6 2008-03-21 22:59:09

koch

switched from kde/compiz-fusion to standalone openbox/xcompmgr and the only thing i am missing sometimes is expose.

#7 2008-03-22 02:54:33

wantilles

All these problems are KDE's problems due to its 3.5.x paleolithic and insufficient design.

Gnome intergrates and behaves flawlessly with Compiz-Fusion.

#8 2008-03-22 15:29:41

carlocci

wantilles wrote:

All these problems are KDE's problems due to its 3.5.x paleolithic and insufficient design.

I would like to know more about this: what features is KDE 3.5 lacking?

#9 2008-03-23 11:20:04

Mikko777

Well compiz works just fine on kde4 and it even has its own compositor...
(although its still slower than compiz)

#10 2008-03-23 13:37:32

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Compiz was written in order to winnify the fail of GNOME. When some individuals dared to echo "Hey WTF am I doin' with OS 9?" at a time when milk and honey were crystal and shining in nature and 9 jumped to X (wherever did the Romans go?!), a significant figure came up with a brilliant idea codenamed Cum Piss.

It was only then that another group of individuals realised that GNOME needed a cosmetic facelift, without blasphemous tinkering deep within GTK+. This was only possible via disguising the very act of "facelifting" with "another application". This way, GNOME would continue riding the waves of GTK+'s troo freedamn. As to why nobody proposed the idea of "killingall -9 gnome", nobody knows.

The result was a welcome addition to the arsenal of GNU and Linux beauty, because it did something very beneficial to mankind - it made GNOME look "good", something which was never thought to be achievable even by the GTK+ priests. Inherent beauties like KDE soon began wearing the veil of this new product to enhance the auro (GNOME for hidden popularity) of their masters. It was like an accessory, like a wig to a french model. Thus, today we have Compiz maintaining pragmatic relations with KDE, because the combined magnificence is a secret (and hidden) love affair. However, to sustain development, total emphasis will continue to be placed upon sustaining the GNOME facelift. Due to this very reason, injuries in KDE are often left untreated. It's like a rich daughter wanting to marry the handsome gardener (who, by the way, has trashed many real Gnomes since dogs just eat them and leave a big mess in the ponds), where the consequences are always dark.

"We 'ont gots no need for that shiat anyways holmes...but ye know, if it's 'ere ye migh' as well smoke it." - KBoy on Compiz

"It was alright as long as we were given some time to finish up our own wig. Ahem. Excuse me." - KPriest on Komposite

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-03-23 13:40:28)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#11 2009-02-05 18:36:01

dakor

schivmeister wrote:

Compiz was written in order to winnify the fail of GNOME. When some individuals dared to echo "Hey WTF am I doin' with OS 9?" at a time when milk and honey were crystal and shining in nature and 9 jumped to X (wherever did the Romans go?!), a significant figure came up with a brilliant idea codenamed Cum Piss.

It was only then that another group of individuals realised that GNOME needed a cosmetic facelift, without blasphemous tinkering deep within GTK+. This was only possible via disguising the very act of "facelifting" with "another application". This way, GNOME would continue riding the waves of GTK+'s troo freedamn. As to why nobody proposed the idea of "killingall -9 gnome", nobody knows.

The result was a welcome addition to the arsenal of GNU and Linux beauty, because it did something very beneficial to mankind - it made GNOME look "good", something which was never thought to be achievable even by the GTK+ priests. Inherent beauties like KDE soon began wearing the veil of this new product to enhance the auro (GNOME for hidden popularity) of their masters. It was like an accessory, like a wig to a french model. Thus, today we have Compiz maintaining pragmatic relations with KDE, because the combined magnificence is a secret (and hidden) love affair. However, to sustain development, total emphasis will continue to be placed upon sustaining the GNOME facelift. Due to this very reason, injuries in KDE are often left untreated. It's like a rich daughter wanting to marry the handsome gardener (who, by the way, has trashed many real Gnomes since dogs just eat them and leave a big mess in the ponds), where the consequences are always dark.

"We 'ont gots no need for that shiat anyways holmes...but ye know, if it's 'ere ye migh' as well smoke it." - KBoy on Compiz

"It was alright as long as we were given some time to finish up our own wig. Ahem. Excuse me." - KPriest on Komposite

Wow

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

Board footer