You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-05 06:04:56

isolatedvirus

Issues with xorg on HP 1030NR

Hello all,

has anyone gotten arch to work on an hp 1030nr netbook? im having issues with the xorg and tried everthing i could find in the wiki and as well as other distro's forums to find solutions.. ive been using arch for over a year now and ive had no problems with it until now..

currently im running Xubuntu. the graphics appear as they did when windows was on this little beast so i know linux in general WILL work on this laptop...  if anyone has gotten a successful working install of arch on a hp mini 1030nr let me know what you had to do to get it working.. i sold my other laptop and now all i have is this one for now.

here is what i did and the error messages i was getting:

installed arch via ftp disc...
pacman -Syu
pacman -S xfce4 xorg xf86-video hwd
hwd -s  (i saw i needed the intel driver so..)
pacman -S intel
pacman -Syu  (i did this again just to be sure the packages were up to date.)
xorgconfig

i then edited the xinitrc file to start xfce

startx

i then get a fatal error reporting that no screens were found.
so i try once more... and get the same error.
i check the xorg configs and see the intel driver there, so i change it to the vesa one, double check my changes and save the file.)

i try startx once more... and its a no-go.

i tried just starting twm, and i get the same error, but also get random system hangs, so i turn off the laptop, and let it cool down because it was getting a bit toasty. about 2 hours later i hop back on, and retry everything i did before, and nothing works. so i install lynx. search google for issues similar to mine and try the relevant solution i find... nothing works. so i pop in the xubuntu live disc, and copy its xorg config.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf > /mnt/sda1/etc/X11/xorg_from_xubuntu

reboot, rename my xorg config to x_backup and the xorg from xubuntu to xorg.conf
i attept a startx with that and still nothing works, so i spent the next hour messing with my xorg config.

any and all help is greatly appeciated.

Last edited by isolatedvirus (2009-02-06 06:11:07)

There are two kinds of light -- The glow that illuminates and the glare that obscures

#2 2009-02-05 06:31:54

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Issues with xorg on HP 1030NR

Post a copy of your xorg.conf file, as well as the output of:

lspci | grep -i vga

and

grep "EE" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#3 2009-02-05 23:30:29

isolatedvirus

i think im having the worst luck possible... when i try to boot using the usb stick now im getting:

"GRUB GRUB Hard Disk Error"

i think it might be the download i have of the img, so im re-downloading it. ETA is 40 minutes.

***EDIT***

yup, still having the same issue. i googled it and saw many users were having issues with grub producing that error... im going to try installing lilo and see if that fixes the issue.
(lilo was installed prior to installing arch because i had backtrack3 on it.)

Last edited by isolatedvirus (2009-02-06 01:31:13)

There are two kinds of light -- The glow that illuminates and the glare that obscures

#4 2009-02-06 03:22:11

perbh

You will get the stock xorg from the live ubuntu - that will almost certainly _not_ work because when ubuntu was installed, the xorg.conf was remade to suit your particular hardware. If you still have ubuntu on another partition on your harddisk, _that_ is the one you should use (at least as a template - or more accurately, to see which driver to use)

#5 2009-02-06 05:52:52

isolatedvirus

thats what i did, but when the driver i used from the ubuntu xorg config file didnt work, i wondered if it was a depth issue or if something was set up differently.

right now i cant even get arch to boot to an ftp install, for some reason my computer is being a douche. i used the latest image the last time i installed arch, and it worked fine. but for some reason its acting wierd.

i tried downloading and doing an ftp install with an earlier release of arch, but the inner workings of pacman were updated, and they got rid of the old way of obtaining package lists for the ftp install....

pacman keeps trying to download a packages.txt file which is non existent so it doesnt even know what to do... i attempted to update pacman only from another terminal, which was successful, however when i run the ftp install again, it finds the database like it should, and tries to download an updated version of itself. it downloads but it cant locate the cache. its wierd, its like the update i ran took effect because now it knows what file to search for, but all of a sudden its acting like i deleted the cache folder.

im trying unetbootin to see if it will work with the latest arch ftp disk. ill give an update in a few.

Board footer