You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-22 06:40:40

iBertus

Gateway P-series FX laptops and linux

So today, while I was out searching for one of those little Flip Video recorders, I impulse bought a Gateway P-7805u laptop from BestBuy. I forgot during the process to check for linux compatability. I must say that this machine is very nice, with a firm feel and great full keyboard. The onboard GeForce 9800m is great, too. But, I find myself wondering if this machine has trouble with linux. I had to work tonight and didn't have time to check to backup the Gateway stuff and try to install Arch, so I figured that I'd post this before bed and maybe someone would venture along that has experience with these laptops and share their experience.

#2 2009-01-22 14:06:42

iBertus

Re: Gateway P-series FX laptops and linux

Okay, so noone has info on the P-series. I'll have a hard time doing the install today, since work is eating up my life. But, what if I expand the query to include all Gateway laptops? Surely someone out there has a gateway laptop with Centrino 2. I figure the hardware should be pretty similar besides the video card.

#3 2009-02-06 06:51:38

iBertus

Re: Gateway P-series FX laptops and linux

So, as adobisky said, this laptop works great. I've installed Arch onto it and had no issues with anything except the proprietary nvidia module, which refuses to allow switching between VC and X. It's a pain, but I've grown to accept this type of stuff when dealing with nvidia. I'm really happy that the WiFi was working out of the box with iwlagn and the firmware packages on the install disk. Battery life is ~3hrs. which is not great but is better than my old HP. I haven't had any of the lockups that my old HP had due to buggy acpi code.....

Board footer