You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-21 17:04:29

alkat

acroread look and scrolling

hi,
i've installed acroread but i can't use the mouse scrolling wheel in it. the wheel works in any other apps. how can i configure it?

and how do i make acroread look decent? now it is dark grey and the gui fonts suck too...

.a.

#2 2004-10-21 17:59:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: acroread look and scrolling

Acroread is closed source and not terribly well supported. As far as I know, it doesn't even know about mouse wheels or theme changes, but I could be wrong.

I personally use Acroread instead of the open source clones (it seems to support the more complicated pdf files better), but you might be interested in:

kghostview (with KDE)
xpdf
g***** (with gnome, I'm not certain what the name is, it might be gpdf)

Dusty

#3 2004-10-21 18:08:22

alkat

Dusty wrote:

Acroread is closed source and not terribly well supported. As far as I know, it doesn't even know about mouse wheels or theme changes, but I could be wrong.

I personally use Acroread instead of the open source clones (it seems to support the more complicated pdf files better), but you might be interested in:

kghostview (with KDE)
xpdf
g***** (with gnome, I'm not certain what the name is, it might be gpdf)

Dusty

unfortunately, though, acroread is way ahead of those opensource programs (images and text are displayed in a completely different manner).

the curious thing is that i've always been able to use the scrolling function by moving the mouse wheel on the scrolling bar on the right-hand side of acroread on linux. only archlinux doesn't let me do that - i assume it has to do with the version provided by arch package.

the good thing about using acroread on arch is that when displaying a pdf file in firefox, an acroread window opens in a firefox tab... that didn't happen with other distros (and i wouldn't know how to set it even though i imagine it's not that difficult).

thanks,
.a.

#4 2004-10-22 02:41:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I believe the imwheel app will help you out there.  There's no official package, but you might be able to find one made by a community member.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-10-22 08:17:42

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:

kghostview (with KDE)

there is now kpdf to do the same but be only for pdf's

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2004-10-22 18:10:18

alkat

today i installed gnome 2.8 and acroread looks much better: the colors are the same of the theme i'm using. 

the scrolling wheel still doesn't work.  would it be any good to install imwheel even though the scrolling wheel works perfectly in any other apps?

.a.

#7 2004-10-23 09:44:17

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i doubt imwheel will do anything to help scrollwheel.

Try one of the alternatives, gpdf, kghostview/kpdf of xpdf if you need it that badly.

#8 2004-10-23 09:56:48

alkat

iphitus wrote:

i doubt imwheel will do anything to help scrollwheel.

Try one of the alternatives, gpdf, kghostview/kpdf of xpdf if you need it that badly.

i downloaded gpdf and i must admit that i was wrong. i hadn't used any alternative to acroread since my first days in linux (not too long ago... just a year...) because i remembered them to be quite crappy... but i must say that gpdf is really good! it displays text and images quite well as compared to acroread on linux.   

another closed-source app being discarded! smile

Board footer