You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-09 11:08:58

IncredibleLaser

Questions concerning OpenAL and SDL sound

Hi,
After having sound problems with Warsow, I wanted to rebuild OpenAL as it seemed to use OSS by default. However, the PKGBUILD currently in ABS does not work anymore, the download for the source is invalid. I wrote my own PKGBUILD for openal-soft, which seems to work OK so far (I just had to create a symbolic link for libopenal.so.0, as libopenal.so.1 is now created by default). This version linked against my alsa-libs works without problems. Would it be possible to to replace openal with openal-soft or at least change the PKGBUILD or is there a reason the old version is still the standard in the repos?

Another issue was sound in Urban Terror, which also seemed to use OSS by default. As this game only uses SDL Audio and cannot be compiled to use OpenAL (the flags are ignnored), I wondered why SDL uses OSS by default and not alsa. The current SDL-version is compiled with ALSA and OSS support, but it always used OSS. After rebuilding and reinstalling SDL with --disable-oss, it worked properly (read: I could play music and Urban Terror at the same time). I don't know if there is a configuration file for SDL somewhere, I found nothing in /etc/, but as ALSA is preferred over OSS nowadays, perhaps --disable-oss could be added to the PKGBUILD for SDL. Perhaps I built SDL from source with OSS installed using the standard PKGBUILD, and OSS is not enabled in the repo's SDL, but I think this could be updated nevertheless.

#2 2008-09-09 20:01:56

Mikko777

Re: Questions concerning OpenAL and SDL sound

would export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa" work for you?

...in bash.rc

#3 2008-09-10 09:19:15

IncredibleLaser

Yes, it does work, but I find it a bit irritating that OSS is default for SDL, as the majority of users use ALSA nowadays. Same goes for OpenAL according to http://icculus.org/lgfaq/#setthatdriver - perhaps this should be noted somewhere?

#4 2009-02-07 15:39:51

SIGTERMer
Website

just a note..
you can use alsa-oss to wrap any app that requires oss, making it work with alsa.

Board footer