You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-09 07:40:46

zatricky
Website

Always build specific packages

Hi guys

I've been searching, unsuccessfully, for a way to specifically always build a package if using pacman -Syu or yaourt -Syu without using a separate command. I know its possible to first test if there's a new version of the package you prefer compiling before doing the -Syu but if there is a "built-in" way to do it, I'd prefer to do that.

In this case, I prefer building my kernel instead of using the precompiled binary kernel. This morning was a good example where there were a few packages being updated where I almost didn't notice that it was going to upgrade kernel26 with the precompiled version. Is anyone else already doing something similar or is there already a good way to do it?

pacman russian roulette: yes | pacman -Rcs $(pacman -Q | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))
(yes, I know its broken)

#2 2009-02-09 07:47:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Always build specific packages

If you're using your own kernel build, simply remove the kernel26 package from your system. If it's not there, pacman won't try to upgrade it.

#3 2009-02-09 08:56:10

zatricky
Website

I'm using kernel26 - and I'm looking into further optimisation but I'd prefer to still use the kernel26 package.

So far, the only optimisation I've made is to specify my processor more specifically as per http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pos … r_packages

I plan to make further customisation using customizepkg. This way, everything stays within "standard" commands.

Failing a simple built-in command that will prevent installing the precompiled binary, I'm thinking of just scripting my update to check if a new kernel version is available - and adding --ignore kernel26 to prevent it from automatically upgrading.

P.S., I've been building kernel26 by using yaourt -Sb kernel26

Last edited by zatricky (2009-02-09 08:58:05)

pacman russian roulette: yes | pacman -Rcs $(pacman -Q | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))
(yes, I know its broken)

#4 2009-02-09 09:45:22

fwojciec

zatricky wrote:

P.S., I've been building kernel26 by using yaourt -Sb kernel26

If this is how you're building the kernel then you're just manually building the official package -- it doesn't change anything that you're building it on your system.  In order to use CPU specific optimizations you'd have to change the kernel configuration.

#5 2009-02-09 11:30:49

zatricky
Website

Are the compilation settings in /etc/makepkg.conf not used when gcc compiles the kernel26 package as invoked by yaourt -Sb kernel26?

I still want to do further customisation as soon as I've figured out how best and easiest to use customizepkg - but I would have thought this at the very least, changes in /etc/makepkg.conf would make a small difference already. hmm

(yes, I know its broken)

#6 2009-02-09 11:44:02

zatricky
Website

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 80#p332480

Alan points out (Did Alan make the script???) a very interesting script. I'm thinking perhaps I'll make use of a modified version for the kernel to sed /var/abs/core/kernel26/config's line, "# CONFIG_MCORE2 is not set" to "CONFIG_MCORE2=y".

Is this a bad way of doing things?

(yes, I know its broken)

#7 2009-02-09 18:22:00

fwojciec

It makes no difference how you change kernel config -- sed will work as well, but you will have to unset whatever CPU optimization is set as default and set the one you want to use.  Another solution would be to add "make menuconfig" command in the PKGBUILD script, somewhere before the "make" command.

Board footer