You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-08 09:31:55

MattSmith

HAL headache! [SOLVED]

Hi everyone!

I'm new to arch, and somewhat new to linux. Loving every minute of it btw.

I have just about all the quarks settled except for a few things:

The biggest pain, and my reason for writing, is an error that i may have caused with the HAL daemon.

I have 3 mountable ntfs partitions (using ntfs-3g). Two of the partitions are internal being a Windoze partition and a partition to keep my music on so I can listen to it from windoze and Arch.

The other partition I am having trouble with is an external drive (fantom).

Firstly, all these mounted fine as read only, but that's not good enough for me, I need to write and create lol. So I thought, eh, quick fix with:

sudo chmod 777 -R /media/Windows /media/Share /media/Fantom

Now I am a n00bie so I am not sure if this is a big no, to do. After spitting out of ton of errors say chmod does not support changing a .jpg for example, I was not even able to access the drives as read only anymore.

even after fiddling with fstab, trying to auto mount the I was not able to view the files.

here's a copy of my fstab if it helps, you can see the commented sections that i added.

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/sda1 /media/Windows ntfs-3g users,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0664,dmask=0775  0  0
#/dev/sda2 /media/Share ntfs-3g users,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0664,dmask=0775  0  0
UUID=1a1816c9-d170-4633-8aee-5262cf865afe swap swap defaults 0 0
UUID=23ecf144-d730-4e02-a9e7-52384ad7bdc6 / ext3 defaults 0 1
UUID=b36398ef-ac3e-4b5e-80e0-d86c44ff4865 /home ext3 defaults 0 1
UUID=b6734971-680a-415f-96e0-74e54bf94cec /var reiserfs defaults 0 1

after all this I was still not able to access my partitions. Even using standard mounting like:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/Windows

I wasn't able to see any folders.

finally I was able to get everything working by passing some options

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/Windows -o rw,users,auto

This is all fine and dandy, but I would really prefer to have hal working correctly as well. Any help on the subject would be awesome!:D

Last edited by MattSmith (2009-02-10 09:27:45)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#2 2009-02-08 13:26:18

pyther
Website

Re: HAL headache! [SOLVED]

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2009-02-08 21:00:49

MattSmith

Thank you,

i wont have a chance to try this until tonight. I will marked solved if this works!

-John Keats

#4 2009-02-10 09:25:59

MattSmith

Thank you!!

Anyone with HAL issues this worked for me

I had forgotten that my HAL had been updated, and that must have caused the error. Anyway this fix worked amazingly!

Permission Denied with automounter

If you just upgraded and suddenly your automount stopped working with the error "PermissionDeniedByPolicy mount-removable no" or "PermissionDeniedByPolicy mount-removable-extra-options no", you can hotfix the situation by editing /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and paste

<match user="$USER"> <!-- replace with your login or delete the line if you want to allow all users to manipulate devices (keep security issues in mind though) -->
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
                       <return result="yes"/>
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options"> <!-- for internal devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options"> <!-- for external devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
       </match>  <!-- don't forget to delete this line if you deleted the first one -->

into the <config> section (replace $USER with your login name). Restart dbus and hal. If you used kde you will have to restart kde as well (the device notifier won't get it otherwise and will stop responding altogether). This was taken from Gullible Jones' "So long, Arch" thread as a hotfix for exactly this type of breakage and is probably not the best fix (especially for machines with a large number of users), but it works. Maybe someone can make it match group "storage" and update this hastily typed thing.

-John Keats

Board footer