You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-09 00:31:08

kensai
Website

Sound problems on my laptop

Hi guys,

Is so strange of me to be posting a problem I have in the forums, since I just Google my questions and solve them myself, this time, Google has been helpful but well, I haven't found anything to fix my problem. The thing is, I have a hp pavilion dv7 1264nr laptop, and this thing plays beautiful sound on Windows Vista, the OS which it came with, but on Linux sound is making the speakers vibrate and distort, is of very poor quality, is like treble were too high, and no bass at all. Now, on a clean windows install, the same thing happens, you get poor quality sound just like in Linux, so this is not a Linux problem.

The problem is that on windows to get nice sound out of the integrated speakers I have to use the idt hd sound codec, with the srs premium preset, which makes my laptop speakers sound awesome. But I don't know how to get the same out of my Arch Linux system, I can't use Linux until this thing is sorted out, since I play too much music. At least connecting external speakers makes it all better as the sound I get from those is of the same quality I would get from the idt hd sound codec on the internal speakers.

Guys, have anyone here solved this problem? And if yes, How?

Thanks,

Eduardo "kensai" Romero

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#2 2009-02-09 12:27:49

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Sound problems on my laptop

From your description I would be tempted to say the built-in speakers are a big piece of c*** and they need to have the sound pre-distorted (read equalized) to sound good. Mind you that the speakers on most laptops/notebooks suck, you can't expect much of them. I guess the solution would be to find out what sort of equalization is being used but that hd codec and do the same for linux. I would give a player with an equalizer a try and see if I could sort it out that way.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-02-09 14:12:00

kensai
Website

You pretty much nailed the problem man, yeah, this speakers are very very bad, they need to be equalized to be of good quality in Windows the codec I have to download to make them hear good hs the equalization already made system wide. But on Linux I haven't found a system wide equalizer, that would let me tweak bass and treble, and I don't know of a good video player with equalizer nor a good audio player with one. Well, it goes without saying that I don't tweak the preferences of this players. big_smile Any tips guys, about system wide equalization or a suggestion of a good video player with equalization and an audio one as well?

#4 2009-02-09 18:49:52

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

If alsa works well for you then maybe you can get some plugin to do that system wide (but if things go as well for you as they did for me when trying to change the resampling quality you may be in to a big headache).
As for players .... mplayer (used with smplayer) provides a 10 band equalizer ... should be enough to start tweaking, I don't know if it works in realtime though (would be useful).
From your description I would start by dropping all output volume sliders half way (pcm, global and so on) then reduce the treble and give the bass a boost and leave the mid-range as it is and go from there.
That or leave the bass as it is and lower everything else ... may work better, no clipping at least.

Last edited by R00KIE (2009-02-09 22:44:59)

R00KIE

#5 2009-02-09 23:24:14

kensai
Website

Yeah, all that sounds good, but well, if I drop pcm and front to 80 or below I get too low of a sound to hear. And no there is no bass treble tweak commands that I know of. And there has been a few, but has been deprecated. I will have to work application based. Thanks for your help man.

#6 2009-02-10 15:30:47

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

After googling a bit I found
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-201234.html
(check last post)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rteq
(which is dead a no one seem to know how to use hmm )

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alsa-eq-plugin
(this one might do the trick)

With any of there I think you are in for a really big headache hmm

I've seen other solutions like using jack and I don't know if pulse-audio has any system wide equalizer support.

R00KIE

Board footer