You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-31 11:01:14

Dr4go

[SOLVED] Strange bin32-wine (and intel-dri) problem

Hello to all Archers! smile

1) I'm really frustrated, because I was trying to get a game working on Arch Linux x86_64: UFO Extraterrestrials. Well... at least until I recognized, that it's not a problem with a setting or wine, but a bin32-wine problem. Let me tell you the whole story:
- Installed bin32-wine(-suse) [with both versions, it's the same damn thing]
- Started winecfg and used native for lib d3dx9_36.dll.
- Installed UFO ET (with a Mod, but this should not be the problem here) using wine, not installed DirectX
- Copied d3dx9_36.dll to the game folder.
- Started the game.
-> Everything went or looked fine - except on a few "gimmicks" inside the game (eg: If I go to base and click on button troopers): this way forces wine and even X to "freeze": freezing maybe is wrong, because I can still use the mouse inside wine, but every try to get out of the game or to kill UFO doesn't work (using Ctrl+Alt+1 or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). The only "solution" to re-use the system again is sysrq.

Because I have an arch32 chroot installed on the system, I tried the same procedure from inside arch32, installed wine, ..., started the game and EVERYTHING is working - except it's goddamn slow. How can I find out what the problem is? Has anyone an idea?

2) Could it be the problem, that libjack.so isn't available as a bin32 version for Arch x64_64? The mentioned game doesn't work with sound in wine... so I don't think it should be a problem... or could I be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dr4go

EDIT: Corrected the thing with sysrq, forgot to activate it - my fault. wink Nevertheless... the problem is the same...

Last edited by Dr4go (2009-02-06 10:59:27)

#2 2009-02-02 23:00:20

Dr4go

Re: [SOLVED] Strange bin32-wine (and intel-dri) problem

Okay... after some research I realized, that the problem isn't related to bin32-wine(-suse), but to the xf86-video-intel driver. If I use the latter driver wine does this strange things (it feels like an endless loop)... even in my arch32 chrooted session.
--> That means: If I don't use the intel driver, the game is terribly slow, but works as it should. So I answered the second question from above myself (-> no libjack problem).

I've even tried with xf86-video-intel-newest and libdrm-newest from AUR, but that doesn't help either... Atm I don't know what to do, than waiting for new intel drivers (including mesa, libdrm, intel-dri and all that stuff). Could anyone give me a hint?

I tried switching from exa back to xaa, no change. I'll soon retry it with a 2.6.27 kernel - let's see if that helps...

EDIT: Nope, the 2.6.27 kernel didn't help, but I found out the real problem: it's caused by the intel-dri driver... what a mess... perhaps anybody knows a solution?

Last edited by Dr4go (2009-02-03 01:33:29)

#3 2009-02-06 11:10:53

Dr4go

I'm starting to love my arch32 chroot. I've installed the packages...
- intel-dri 7.3,
- libdrm 2.4.4,
- libgl 7.3,
- mesa 7.3 and
- xf86-video-intel 2.6.1...
and the problem was history. It was much better as soon as I had installed the first three of them, but when setting a higher resolution the problem was still here. It was totally gone using all five of them.

Awaiting xorg-server 1.6 so that I can finally use GEM. The xorg server 1.5 was and is still the worst release I've ever seen for intel graphics adapters! It would have been better to remove TTM only as soon as the GEM support would have been ready... nevermind...

Thank you for reading and greetings.

#4 2009-02-08 16:22:19

pdunning

how did you get intel-dri 7.3 it isn't even in testing?

#5 2009-02-08 20:17:04

Dr4go

See the following topic: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64469

Fyi: You can install them using pacman -U. The better way is still to wait for the new drivers to be in the repository, because they are almost useless without the new xorg server 1.6 (the final should be out in a few days). Hopefully all this stuff hits the repo soon...

Last edited by Dr4go (2009-02-08 20:17:36)

#6 2009-02-10 18:03:44

pdunning

things work much better now thanks but I still have a few opengl/wine problems. just waiting for xserver 1.6 now ...

Board footer