You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-20 10:34:01

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Making OOo GUI more pretty

Is it possible?  Their site has loads of nice screenies but all i seem to be able to get is a MS works in windows 3.1 type look.  i tried the toolbar icons from kde look - to try and pretty things up a bit but i can't get them to work - they just appear as black squares - apparently this may be due to my "background colour" (in the readme) but i have no idea how to change that - is it the way that it has been compiled?  I thought it was supposed to inherit widget styles from the WM?

any hints please!

#2 2004-10-20 11:13:47

fuse

Re: Making OOo GUI more pretty

If you're using KDE (I dont know, maybe you just want the toolbar icons) and want to run OOo 1.1.1 /w KDE NWF you can get it from here

screenshot   via kdenews.org

#3 2004-10-20 11:14:52

dp
Website

fuse wrote:

If you're using KDE (I dont know, maybe you just want the toolbar icons) and want to run OOo 1.1.1 /w KDE NWF you can get it from here

screenshot via KDE

is it faster than the classical OO on kde?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-10-20 11:17:58

tpowa
Developer

it has something to do with compiling
if you find a way let me know
at the moment the binaries are used so we have the look and feel
which OO provides by default

but on the other side all OO apps look on all environments and OS's the same

#5 2004-10-20 11:43:28

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

yeah i think that must be what i have seen all the screenshots of

has anyone had any luck with just the toolbar icons tho?  i mean that would be a start!

#6 2004-10-21 00:04:08

fuse

dp wrote:
fuse wrote:

screenshot via KDE

is it faster than the classical OO on kde?

Im not sure, I have only used what's packaged for Arch. I will soon find out, building (or trying to anyway) from source on my desktop machine as I type this. The link to the binary I posted seems to give errors about GCC 3.3.

#7 2004-10-21 12:51:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

link tur repo has got the ximianised OOo, so nicer icons and stuff big_smile

coincidentally, I am installing it right now

I have used the KDE'ised OOo in SuSE, and it works really well, looks much better than vanilla.

#8 2004-10-21 13:05:23

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Just finished installing ximian-openoffice off the link TUR.

It's awesome, follows my gtk theme nearly perfectly.

#9 2004-10-21 14:30:07

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

so it needs to be built with the gnome or kde gui style?  is that right?

what about people who use light weight wm's like fluxbox and xfce - do we think this will improving 2.0?

#10 2004-10-21 16:08:14

freakyc

Well, I'm not sure if this is how it'll look in Linux, or if it's just Windows.  But last week there was this interview, which mentioned this preview that shows some screenshots of the new look.

#11 2004-10-21 17:12:10

sarah31
Website

you could close your eyes and imagine something else.

in the end why does it matter? or do you have OOo running 24/7?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-10-21 19:14:45

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

um - i have a lot of respect for you sarah but i can't let this one slip - it is a well known fact that most people (Windows and Linux users) prefer the majority of their applications to look nice, the nicer the better.  So don't ask bloody stupid questions, eh?  if i close my eys i can't see what i am typing  roll

still looks eyesore-arama to me, even in those new shots, why is it so hard for them to include some different icons - it might be sad that people are put off by the icons BUT THEY ARE put off by the icons - they should sort it

#13 2004-10-21 19:17:56

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

it is a well known fact that most people (Windows and Linux users) prefer the majority of their applications to look nice, the nicer the better. So don't ask bloody stupid questions, eh?

I'm not most people .... lol ... I hate nice gui girly apps... bring on me console.... :twisted:

Mr Green

#14 2004-10-21 21:20:37

sarah31
Website

well looking nice and functionality are two different things. i have yet to see a a "pretty" office app (that includes OS X, XP, and Linux). when i work in a word processor or spread sheet all i am looking at are words or gridlins and data. the border and icons are small and insignificant  so i have a hard time understanding how one can make them "pretty" or even why. the icons will still be essentially the same design and the window design will only change minorly.

also prettifying it once will do little for later on when you get sick and tired of looking at it down the road. so you change again and again. soon the makers are so busy making skins for the app that nothing gets done on the actual app.

anyway to seriously answer your question try looking around for non OOo binary packages. Ximian was making one for awhile that looked all pretty .... apparently. (mind you i would be wary of ximian products) googling should help you out. 

other than that you may just have to design skins for it that you like.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#15 2004-10-21 22:01:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

are ximian not be trusted then?

#16 2004-10-22 13:46:45

sarah31
Website

no but  some ximian product tend to want only other ximian product. i am not saying they are bad but the ximian interdependencey could cause you problems.

that being said i don't think using ximian's OOo should give you problems. i have not heard of people getting annoyed with it. it is one OOo release that i have heard is "nice". this was a year ago though so i don't know what the status of the project is.

i don't know if there are any potential compatability issues either.

i used one version of a distro that use ximian gnome and it was a reall issue upgrading it. many other users had issue with it too. it has tainted my view of ximian.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#17 2004-10-22 14:40:47

iphitus
Forum Fellow

sarah31 wrote:

no but  some ximian product tend to want only other ximian product. i am not saying they are bad but the ximian interdependencey could cause you problems.

that being said i don't think using ximian's OOo should give you problems. i have not heard of people getting annoyed with it. it is one OOo release that i have heard is "nice". this was a year ago though so i don't know what the status of the project is.

i don't know if there are any potential compatability issues either.

i used one version of a distro that use ximian gnome and it was a reall issue upgrading it. many other users had issue with it too. it has tainted my view of ximian.

Well there's an arch package of the Ximian OOo on Link's TUR. It didnt pull any Ximian deps in, and it works as well, if not better than standard OOo. I like the fact that it goes as far as even using the new GTK file chooser
As for worrying about updating, OOo isnt updated often, and Link may well make a new package, keeping it nice and easy.

iphitus

#18 2004-10-22 15:26:21

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/ … /index.php

May or may not be of any use .....

Mr Green

#19 2009-02-11 19:08:01

Zibi1981

Anyone know how to make use of Everaldo's OpenOffice Crystal icons? They look very nice but I don't know where to put them sad

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#20 2009-02-11 19:12:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

***Bring out your dead***
***Bring out your dead***

DEAD THREAD:
    I'm not dead!
CART MASTER:
    What?
CUSTOMER:
    Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
DEAD THREAD:
    I'm not dead!
CART MASTER:
    'Ere. He says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER:
    Yes, he is.
DEAD THREAD:
    I'm not!
CART MASTER:
    He isn't?
CUSTOMER:
    Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
DEAD THREAD:
    I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER:
    No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

#21 2009-02-11 19:24:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

/me blows dust off thread

Mr Green

Board footer